IGNORED

Any need for a Gap Wedge?

8.5_Drive
Note: This thread is 4714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Title says it all really. Just got a set of Ping wedges and not sure if i will use all of them
Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

I use mine alot. Fills the gap between pitch and sand

For me, i dont see the need for it. I would rather hit a half swing or punch a pitching wedge

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

I use my GW more than any other wedge in my bag. Mostly just for work around the green though. I don't use it very often for shots into the green.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I bought a 52* gap wedge, and at first I did not like it at all. After working with it for a while, I love that club. Perfect for me from 100-yards. It is also fantastic around the greens. If you find you have a gap in your yardages that is uncomfortable, then fill it. If you have the talent to fill that gap with partial, or knock down swings, then maybe don't bother.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

I used to use my gap wedge a TON but lately I have ben using my 8 iron and 9 iron around the greens for doing bump and runs. I use the gap wedge from 75 to 100 yds and love it. I simply don't have the game yet where I can control a 47* PW from 75 yrds outs without the ball hopping over the green. The gw I can take it in nice and high and the ball stops on a dime. So yes......keep the GW. Now if you have a lob wedge (58 - 62* wedge).....that would be a different story.....I just think most amateurs/hackers have no business playing a 60* wedge unless maybe from the sand.....which is all I use mine for.....

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

For me, i dont see the need for it. I would rather hit a half swing or punch a pitching wedge

Ditto, I have PW (46) and SW (54) so a 50 would be GW for me, but don't have the need for one as I just hit a cut down PW

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I just think most amateurs/hackers have no business playing a 60* wedge unless maybe from the sand.....which is all I use mine for.....

Same here, only use my 60 from the sand.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I typically hit my PW around 130 and my SW around 100. I use my gap wedge to fill the "gap" :)

Sticks: Burner SF 9.5, 15, 19 | MX-300 4-GW | CG15 56.14, 60.12 | BS Tour #9
Accessories: Tour 360 4.0 | Revolution Stand Bag | GolfShot iPhone App
Last Round: 82 (70)

I love my 52* GW. I use it a lot for chipping and it's perfect for 100-120 yards.

48*, 52*, 56*, 60*

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

i added a GW (52) a few months back, and it has been really helpful. to fit it in the bag, i got rid of the 4 iron, which was the most difficult club in the bag to use anyways.

i love having 4 wedges, because 80% of the game is played from 125 and in....and the more options, and less gaps, the better.
PING  G-15 (10.5*) Miyazaki C. Kua 39   ------   PING  G-15 (18.5*) Oban Revenge 6
PING  I -15 (20*) UST Attas Hybrid 285 -----
PING  I -15 (4-PW) AeroTech SteelFiber i80
PING  Tour -S (54*,60*)  TT DG Spinner ----- PING  Scottsdale Pickemup (33")

Well it sounds like you've found your answer. I use a GW instead of a PW. I use that less-than-full-swing approach with the 9-iron.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As a high handicapper, I feel more comfortable doing full swings with different lofts than using one club and change the swing.
My irons set came with a GW(50* loft), and it fills the gap nicely between the PW and my other wedges(54, 60).

Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

Title says it all really. Just got a set of Ping wedges and not sure if i will use all of them

My 50* GW is the same loft as the PW in my old set of irons, which were made in 1994. Without the GW, I'd have 11* loft difference between my current PW and SW.

It all depends on how you use your wedges. You're an 8 HDCP - go with what feels good.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can live without a lob wedge. However, I definitely cannot live without a sand wedge. :)

In my Grom bag:

Driver: 909D2 10.5"
Irons: AP1 4-9
3 Wood: 909F2 15.5"Hybrid: 909H 19"Wedges: spin milled: PW, 52", 58", 62"Putter: California Coronado 33"Ball: Pro v1x

Originally Posted by kingface12 View Post
I just think most amateurs/hackers have no business playing a 60* wedge unless maybe from the sand.....which is all I use mine for.....

I don't understand why people always say this? I am a complete beginner (Have only been playing about a month and a half and have yet to break 100) and my 60 degree wedge has been my favorite so far. I almost birdied a par 5 from about 90 yards out and stuck it to less then a yard yesterday on a par 4 with it. Yeah they were two lucky shots but when I am hitting my 60* from 70-90 yards out I usually hit the green (And I cant say that for any other club or distance)

Note: This thread is 4714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!