IGNORED

My Swing (mdl)

mdl

I've got all kinds of plane problems and I think right hand problems, but I won't elaborate cause I'm interested in hearing what others think. This is an 8i, sorry for no face on but the stalls are too small at my range to get a good shot from that angle except from the very end one.

Thanks!

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you have a really weird swing.
you come back flat then come down way too steeply.

wow, I don't think i'd even be able to hit the ball if I had a swing like that.
you doing something between the frames to compensate, not sure what though.
Your swing is a bit too long as well.

Maybe somebody else will be able to go more in depth into your move.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

During the backswing, your head drops down a lot toward the ball (not maintaining your inclination to the ground). You are side tilting too fast and too much. You are flexing your lumbar spine too much in the backswing. You take the club back too far and your right knee buckles/flexes as you bring it back past parallel, and your left wrist begins to cup. This is a difficult position to recover from--difficult to get your hips far enough forward at impact from that top of backswing position.

You might have to feel as though you are making a 60% backswing, then really push your hips forward an up into impact.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

During the backswing, your head drops down a lot toward the ball (not maintaining your inclination to the ground). You are side tilting too fast and too much. You are flexing your lumbar spine too much in the backswing. You take the club back too far and your right knee buckles/flexes as you bring it back past parallel, and your left wrist begins to cup. This is a difficult position to recover from--difficult to get your hips far enough forward at impact from that top of backswing position.

This is already me trying to go 75% back. I just started with my new tripod and I've been really working on not going back to far. Fail so far as you can see. Maybe I'll have to start trying to go back 50%. I've also been working on trying to keep my left wrist flat, so that's something I've noticed but haven't fixed yet.

If I get myself just going back to parallel in a good position, is this going to give me a big jump in consistency? It feels like a lot of those big break downs are happening cause I'm trying to go 25% too far... When I'm super hot with my current swing I can score pretty well (career best 74 about a month ago), but that's still very reliant on some great recovery shots and short game and putting cause even when hot I'm not super consistent with full shots. With a more repeatable swing I feel like I could take a big leap...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I'd recommend making some slow-mo swings facing a wall with your forehead just barley touching. Make sure the head doesn't move into the wall and take note of how your body is moving to make it happen. You should feel like your standing up more on the backswing and it will also feel shorter.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Well there's a lot going on (some good things too) but I think I may have a couple things that will help.

First, back swing is decent. Head dips a bit too much though so work on that. Also, you get a good shoulder turn so no need to take the hands quite so far back.

Next, at the top of the backswing it looks as if you cup your left wrist. This is flaring your club face way open and makes it really difficult to get square at impact, hence your severe miss to the right. Try to have a more solid wrist at the top of the backswing.

- From the top is where you need to work on the most. You set the club at the top and then deliver the club from an entirely different line. I have an instructional video by Gary Player where he advocates thinking of the position at the top as if your hands are a car, and you are parking the car (hands) in the garage. When you leave the garage (the downswing), you must leave from the same position that you entered. If you don't you will drive the car through the wall of the garage and destroy it. That is what is happening at the beginning of your downswing.

Why is that happening? I believe it is happening because your first move is a hip spin rather than a lateral hip movement. A hip spin causes an over the top swing, while a lateral movement from the hips will allow you to start the downswing from the same garage you parked in. Move your left hip toward the target rather than to the left of the target. Hip turn will occur naturally but you don't want so much hip spin.

See what others think, but I believe working on those things should really help.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

search for "reverse pivot"
it seems like the problem in the swing from my point of view even though I am not in a position to help others yet.

WITB:
R9 TP 9.5° Mitsubishi Fubuki 73 X5CT S Felx, 15° Fujikura Motore F1 65 S Flex
Rescue 19° Aldila Voodoo SVS8 S Flex
X-20 Tour 4-PW Project X Flighted 6.0
CG12 52°, RTG 56°, 60° Black Series i9

you come way over the top, from what I can tell.

From what I see, I don't agree. Looks like he comes a lot inside out and hit the ball with an open clubface on those shots. The frame just before he hits the ball shows the clubhead inside the ball.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 3 years later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 7-8 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 80s, trending up!

My typical ball flight is: Draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push, hook (sometimes pull-)

Been working pretty hard on my swing, but video work has been intermittent, results mixed, and I hate my swing when I record it right now.  So I'm trying to get more consistent with the video work, concentrate on just one or two things at a time, and document improvement on video.  Here's the start.  DTL swing was a baby draw right on target.  Face on swing was a push baby draw right of target, maybe right edge of a medium to large green after aiming at the center.  I know it's ugly.  I'm doing a bunch of things I'll tell others to stop!  What's the worst?  What should I work on first?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Also, forgot to note in the post or video title, this is a 4i for both DTL and FO.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Bump.  Anyone?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

You may want to narrow your stance a little bit, this will allow a little more free movement which may help reduce sway, also remember to flare both feet out also.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

You may want to narrow your stance a little bit, this will allow a little more free movement which may help reduce sway, also remember to flare both feet out also.

Interesting.  Thanks.  I've played with a narrower stance in the past but haven't thought about it in a while.  And I've been working on remembering foot flare but admittedly have concentrated more on remembering the front foot.  Will get on making the standard mental check of stance/grip/alignment include rear foot flare as well.

By sway, you mean lateral movement backwards along the target line?  One of the few things I was happy with in these videos was what I would have called elimination of hip sway backwards along the target line in the back swing!  Whoops...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I'm doing a bunch of things I'll tell others to stop!  What's the worst?  What should I work on first?

Yes agree with @flopster regarding the stance width and flaring the feet a bit more. Will help this

Right hip stops "stretching" and turning because the stance is too wide, the head going down is almost a balance compensation. So get the heels just outside the hips, little wider with a driver.

Would also recommend practicing with a tee or glove in your right arm pit. Right elbow/humerus gets too far behind you. The stance stuff will also help.

So arms get too far in and then have to lift, this is where you see the club too far across the line. Requires more "timing" and where you end up hitting those big pushes or the big hooks.

Left pic would be your right arm, green line is the shirt seam.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awesome.  Thanks Mike!  Funny, I've seen you post that Key 4 video before.  I've never concentrated on that because the still shot of the initial demonstration of the incorrect back swing has the hands super low and stuck behind, and I do that but then my compensation to not come OTT is to raise the arms and dip the head, which always looked different to me so I thought that wasn't what was causing my issue.

Actually, I'd seen my club head getting under plane at A2 and I've been working a lot to fix that, doing lots of pre-shot stuff swinging back just to A2 trying to have the club parallel to the target line there.  But to accomplish that I've just been yanking my right elbow back even further, getting me even more stuck behind and across the line at the top even when I don't get as under plane at A2 as I am in the vids.  Also, I have been trying to turn earlier, though concentrating more on the hips than the shoulders, and I can feel the too wide stance was basically making it impossible to do right.  I think the narrower stance is going to help a lot.  You noted the wider stance is more okay with the driver, and I've had a bunch of rounds recently where I've absolutely dominated the driver and solid with the 3w and pretty much terrible with all other full clubs and have put up decent scores just cause my home course has a bunch of shortish par 4s where with a big bomb off the tee for me I can hit driver then partial 60˚, so I can par the shorter par 4s and a couple of the par 5s as long as I don't have a huge miss on the 2nd shot, and if I get up and down a few times and putt okay still score in the low 80s even with only one or two good full iron shots.

I'm at work right now so no clubs or balls to hit, but I get in early and no one else is here so I've tried a few dry swings with a narrower stance and following Erik and Dave from the video.  I can already feel the point.  Surely lots of work to get it working even with balls in a practice session, much less at game time, but I'm pumped!

One other question.  I tend to break my wrists late, so my currently natural point for A2 is with the hands higher than Erik's or most other good golfers.  I've always told myself, hey, Stricker does it, that's not causing my issues.  Will it help me shift to consistently do as suggested in the video (turn at a faster rate and keep my elbows closer together so I don't draw the right elbow back too far and get stuck behind) to also work on breaking my wrists a bit earlier and getting to A2 with my hands lower?

With the time change I get home with some light now so I'll try to keep up the video work and post updates.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚