IGNORED

My Swing (Mordan)

Mordan
Note:Β This thread is 3422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Well, firstly I'd ideally get confirmation from the regular circle of pros who post here that these are your priorities. And if you're signing up for evolvr soon (I'd recommend that), you won't need this thread anymore.

Originally Posted by Mordan

Thanks for the comments. I've always wondered a little about my left arm, and the way it flexes a little at the top of my backswing, but never considered the right arm too much. Reducing the flex in the right arm will probably do the same with the left, but I'm not sure what benefit this will bring to my swing. I'm not saying you're wrong at all, but I always like to know why I'm doing something. You also mention my arms in point 3, and I do wonder a little if perhaps straighter arms will give more consistency to the low point of my swing and get rid of occasional thins and fats.

You are on the right track here.

Here's a recent thread that briefly discusses the idea behind "straighter" arms.

Over-flexing your right arm beyond 90 degrees can shorten the arc too much and thus reduces the amount of speed and power you can generate. Mostly though it can make your low-point too erratic and more difficult to predict, especially on the follow-through.

Check out this quick video for another explanation, which follows along the lines of what you were saying in the bolded quote above.

Originally Posted byΒ Mordan

I'm not sure I can jump a lot more from my right leg, my foot almost comes off the ground after impact and if anything I thought I'd want to bank my right foot more rather than driving up with it? Maybe banking and driving forward rather than up might be what you mean? That would hopefully give me more hip slide.

Continue to bank your right foot, yea. It just appears like your right knee is collapsing inward too much and not extending and straightening enough through impact.

This tip here is the one that I'm not sure off. I'd be interested to see what Mike, James, or Erik has to say about my recommendation of this piece and whether or not I'm on the right track.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted in a while as I've been working with James via Evolvr. Here's my latest videos:

Looking good. James and the evolvr guys are great.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2Β  AD333

• 1 month later...

Not a swing video but I thought this was the best place to put this, my first round in the 70s (at least on a genuine par 72 course).

The FIR and GIR numbers aren't that impressive but they were nearly all small misses (first cut, fringe etc), not the big ones that are so costly to your score. And I scrambled well and holed most of the putts I'd expect to make and one or two that I might not on another day.

So thanks to the evolvr guys for the help they've been giving me. Having both the "what" and the "why" of the changes you're talking about so clearly explained makes it very easy for me to go out there and work on them, and gives me the confidence to know that I'm heading in the right direction.

Now to do it again...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mordan

Not a swing video but I thought this was the best place to put this, my first round in the 70s (at least on a genuine par 72 course).

The FIR and GIR numbers aren't that impressive but they were nearly all small misses (first cut, fringe etc), not the big ones that are so costly to your score. And I scrambled well and holed most of the putts I'd expect to make and one or two that I might not on another day.

So thanks to the evolvr guys for the help they've been giving me. Having both the "what" and the "why" of the changes you're talking about so clearly explained makes it very easy for me to go out there and work on them, and gives me the confidence to know that I'm heading in the right direction.

Congratulations! Swing is coming along nicely. I've been following the progress. Keep it up!

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Well it didn't take me too long to do it again. I got there via a somewhat different route but the same result, another 78. Holing out on 10 from about 160 yards to go back to 1 under really should have set me up for a lower round but I lost concentration a little and my score drifted from there.

78 tk2.PNG

And here's a latest video. I've been working on retaining flex in my left knee longer to allow the hips to continue forward longer. Definitely looks better with the irons although I haven't yet been able to do it as well with the driver (one of the reasons for lots of misses right in the round above).

• 8 months later...

I've made the move back home to Australia after a little over 5 years in the UK so it's taken me a while to find somewhere to practice and I haven't joined a club yet. But I've had a pretty productive last few weeks working with James again on evolvr and thought I'd share some vision from my practice session today.

James wanted me to work on shortening my backswing, and keeping my right heel down until impact. My backswing has lengthened a little recently due to another change that has seen me increase my hip turn. So the plan was to continue to make the full hip turn, but restrict the arms a little to keep better control of the club. And trying to keep my right heel down has been a constant fixture of what I've been working on since I joined evolvr. I've never quite got it right.

So off I went to the range with both these ideas in mind after a bit of swinging in the backyard with no ball to get the feeling. And I hit the ball great immediately. It felt like about a half effort swing but the ball was still going almost as far as I'd been hitting it and it just felt like I couldn't hit a bad shot. Perhaps 20 balls with wedges up to 6 iron and clean contact on all, plus great control of the shape. What an easy game hey?

And then I stepped up to a 3 hybrid and couldn't quite replicate the feeling with the longer club. I just kept hitting pushes. And then I lost the feeling altogether. And hit the last 25 balls of my bucket as a mix of fats, thins and shanks. Luckily I captured a down the line video both when I was hitting it just like I wanted to, and one when it all went wrong (it was a semi shank). It's amazing to see how little difference there is between the two videos, although at the time I couldn't feel any difference what so ever. But the reality is that my backswing has crept back up almost to it's old length, and my right heel just wasn't staying down quite as long. Plus I've got a suspicion that my tempo has sped up a bit too, which seems to happen when I'm playing poorly. Although I'm not sure how to measure the timing of a swing from a video, I'd be interested to know the timing from address to the top of the backswing and back down to impact of the two videos.

So here are the two videos, the first I think was a PW and the second my semi-shanked 8 iron. It's interesting how much better my balance is at the end of the first video.

Hey welcome home man. Yarra bend's my local too. Nice looking swing, Isn't the brain a sneaky bastard the way it wants to go back to what it's used to.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by logman

Hey welcome home man. Yarra bend's my local too. Nice looking swing, Isn't the brain a sneaky bastard the way it wants to go back to what it's used to.

Cheers, it's good to be home. Yarra Bend is a fairly distinctive range, I've been doing my best to put as many dents as possible in the roof of the shed in the middle. Drop me a message if you want to have a hit sometime, I'm always up for a round with another sand trapper.

You're right the brain is very sneaky. Mine tends to like to wait until I've got the swing down to something simple, then add in an extra complication or two to keep me on my toes.

• 2 weeks later...

The swing changes I've been making have been positive but not really showing up on the score card until yesterday. We played off the yellow tees so not the full length that's on the score card (it's meters not yards), and the bunkers had been damaged by some heavy rain and most were GUR but I'm still counting it as my low round on a full par 72 course (I've shot a 71 on a dinky short par 68 before).

I didn't hit the ball very well at all on the front 9, I just managed to stay out of any real trouble and chipped and putted well. I couldn't get the ball started far enough right with the driver, they were starting straight and drawing too far left. Luckily they were all playable and the 6th was the only hole where I couldn't at least get it up to the green.

I started hitting the ball much better on the back 9, and my scoring got worse. A few losses of concentration I think. A silly 3 putt on 11 and had my yardage completely wrong on 1. I hit good drives on the shortish par 4 13th & 14th and had less than a full wedge into both and airmailed the green on 13 and chunked my pitch on 14. I hit two great shots to reach the par 5 15th but it just trickled off the green into a bunker and I failed to get up and down. And a brain fade on the 18th meant I hit the line I'd normally hit from the back tees and blasted my drive straight out the other side of the dog leg into the long grass. I had to punch out and while I hit a great 9 iron in I couldn't quite save my par.

The best thing about the day was no shanks! They've been haunting me for a while and can be a real score card wrecker.

Great round! Β Hope Evolvr has been able to help

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

• 1 year later...
It's been a while... I haven't been playing as much golf as I would have liked since moving half way around the world but I've joined a club and am getting back into it. My game has been all over the place, some truely awful golf and some ok golf. Handicap has gone up 4 or 5 shots. Here's where my swing is at. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/W-uiR086cNs[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/MtbHbTgJVqk[/VIDEO] Struggling with a weak fade right now though contact is pretty consistent. I can see the problems, but I'm struggling to make any headway right now.

First off, great looking swing.Β  You're a better golfer than I so take this with a grain of salt.Β  It looks like in the DTL view, you might be making a very slight OTT move.Β  In the FO view, you might be casting a bitΒ on the downswing.Β  Both of these things would contribute to a weak fade.Β  It also seems like you're not transferring enough weight onto your left side at impact (also something I'm currently working on).Β  However, you said your contact is pretty consistent so maybe that's not an issue.Β  I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable about the swing will come along and correct me if I've said anything way off base.Β  Either way, keep up the good work!

Golf is hard.

• Administrator

Looked quickly…

This will help the arms gain the necessary depth and allow you to slide forward longer on the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Makes sense, thanks Erik. I've been working on not kicking the right knee in towards the ball and not letting my butt come off the wall and the result seems to be this armsy swing. It feels awful but I couldn't really pinpoint it. Now to try and get more turn back, and more slide forward without bringing back some of those other problems.

Note:Β This thread is 3422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!