IGNORED

which fairway woods do I need?

Note: This thread is 6388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am trying to find a fairway wood or two to fill in the gap between my 4 hybrid and my driver. The problem I have is that I don't know whether the traditional set (3 and 5 woods) is the one I need since I have such a lofted driver. I have a 13 degree driver and am worried that if I get a 3 wood it would be too close in distance. Or would it not be? Any suggestions?

What degree loft is your 4 hybrid? For a fairway, I'd probably go with something in the 17-19 degree range (4-5 wood).

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

I would just try some fairway woods.. your driver is still longer then a reg 3 wood because of the overall length of the club..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

It sounds like a 4 wood 17 degrees might be about right. You could order one with a 43 inch shaft to maximize distance, sometimes called 4 plus woods. It kind of depends on why you are using a 13 degree driver. If it is because you have a slow swing speed then an 18 or 19 degree five wood might actually give you the right gap. If it is because you hit the ball low or hit hight lofted drivers straighter then the 4 wood might be a better choice.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Also, you may consider this: How well do you hit a fairway wood off the fairway or, out of the rough? I like the suggestion of a 4 wood instead of a 3 or 5 wood. You may wish to consider a 20 degree hybrid to complement the 4 wood. The hybrid would take the place of a 7 wood, or three iron, and be easier to hit out of the rough; plus, the hybrid would give you, conceivably, an alternative to the four wood in attacking a green, as it generally produces a high trajectory more easily than a three iron or fairway wood, and is easier and more forgiving than either. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

you and i have the same handicap, and i have this problem, however i found that with a flaud swing like players of our caliber have a higher lofted 3 wood is best. The loft makes it easier to get crisper stikes of the tee, and on the fairway.... ive got an 18 deg Cobra f-speed fairway wood, goes like a dream.... before i got it a month ago, my handicap was a shockin 28.... the consistencey the club brought ot me tee shots on short par 4 and the fairways of long par 5's was supreme!!! Stongley recomend it! Ive only been playing 3 months and ive already shot an 83! Thanks to a comobinattion of the Srixon AD-333 balls and my cobra fairway wood :D

It ...You could order one with a 43 inch shaft to maximize distance, sometimes called 4 plus woods...

Any time I have seen a 4 + (I think Callaway and Cobra have some) they are usually 3 wood lofts on 4 wood lengh shafts, not the other way around.

Although my driver is 10.5* I have always carried only a 3 wood as my only other wood. My next club is a 4 hybrid. As a good transition I have gone to a 16.5* R7 ST 4 wood and couldn't be happier. Better for all around turf conditions (shallow face) than the 15* and still strong off the tee when needed.

Note: This thread is 6388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!