IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As someone who is just starting to realize the art of 'chipping', I'm moving beyond what I have and I've gone ahead and ordered some Cleveland wedges. (A 52 and a 56). I've put away my 60* lob wedge for now (she's a bit of a mess when I misshit).

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

Many of them are legal. It is just hard to give up a club which is usefull for a lot of different shots for one that can really only do one thing.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

They are legal as long as only one side is made to strike the ball (many are two sided). I carry one I call it a 7 iron. Chippers fit into the same equipment category as ball retriever tools, iron covers, and top flight golf balls. The possession of any of those pieces of equipment gets you automatic induction into the Hacker Hall of Fame.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

true, you shouldnt be using a 60* wedge so close to the green, at your level (and mine) its nearly improssible to be consistent with such a fidley club at such close range, i opt for an 8 iron and works great!! Arent shippers ilegal?

• 1 month later...
true, you shouldnt be using a 60* wedge so close to the green, at your level (and mine) its nearly improssible to be consistent with such a fidley club at such close range, i opt for an 8 iron and works great!! Arent shippers ilegal?

No, they are NOT illegal according to the USGA Rules of Golf. But they must have only one hitting surface and a round, not a putter grip. Those dual L/R jobs you see at the golf shops ARE illegal. You can hit a dual sided putter, but the putter is the ONLY club that can be ambidexturous.

• 1 year later...

As a newbie to golf, I've always wondered about these clubs. I had a friend who used it in one of our games and one player just told him not to use it in tournaments as it was an illegal club. Is it? Any pros or cons to using one?

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

No, they aren't illegal i have seen a lot of peope using them. I personally, would highly recommend not to use one but a lot of people do, so, they must help those people.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Thanks Jack_2251. May I ask further why you won't recommend golfers to use it? Am just trying to get an idea of wether or not to purchase one. Thanks again

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

You will have lots of golfers say, "why use a chipper when you already have that club in your bag, it is called a 7-iron". Or they will say, "chippers are for old men". Or, "just practice chipping with different clubs and learn how to chip with what you have in your bag". Or, "I can't remove X club out of my bag to make room for a chipper". I have seen and heard them all.

If the chipper works for you, go ahead and use it, simple as that.

I have carried one off and on for years in my bag, more on than off...to be honest I have holed or lipped more chips off the fringe or the open front of a green with a chipper than I have all of the other clubs in my bag combined ( I usually use my GW, PW or 7 iron to pitch if I don't use the chipper).

Too many golfers eschew something due to machismo. I have seen guys deadly with their chippers, using a putting stroke with a putter like club when chipping seems to have its merits.

All you will need is one tour pro to use the new Odyssey chipper and then it will be a hot club. Not sure I'd buy a $100+ chipper, when a $15 chipper does the job, but then again...
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

You will have lots of golfers say, "why use a chipper when you already have that club in your bag, it is called a 7-iron". Or they will say, "chippers are for old men". Or, "just practice chipping with different clubs and learn how to chip with what you have in your bag". Or, "I can't remove X club out of my bag to make room for a chipper". I have seen and heard them all.

Well said.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• Administrator
No, they aren't illegal i have seen a lot of peope using them. I personally, would highly recommend not to use one but a lot of people do, so, they must help those people.

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...c04.html#4-1/3 It's important to note that those two-way chippers they used to sell are illegal. Clubs other than putters can only have one "striking face." Also, some of those old two-way chippers had flat putter grips, which is also illegal on a chipper.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i suppose chippers are good for long chips that you don't want to get off the ground. even for those i just use my hybrid, or deloft my 60. maybe thats why im never closer than 20 feet to the pin. no, whatever works, works

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Thanks Jack_2251. May I ask further why you won't recommend golfers to use it? Am just trying to get an idea of wether or not to purchase one. Thanks again

Well, it also depends on the type of shot/course you are playing on. I have a friend who uses his from everywhere, but cannot get them to stop on the greens at all. If you are only going to use it for short chips just over greenside fringe/rough, then yes, you should get one if your chipping is horrible using a wedge.

But then again, if you are a half decent wedge/8 iron chipper, I would say save an extra club for a hybrid/ extra wedge! Good luck :D
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Chippers are probably great for beginners that need consistency in the short game. but in the long run, its better to learn how to chip with irons and wedges because they will allow for more flexibility for chips from varying distances and lies.

• 6 months later...
Any thoughts on the use of these clubs? My buddy has a Ray Cook Classic Chipper and I've sampled it a few times. It works exceptionally well. I've also viewed Odyssey's "putting wedge" which is, not surprisingly, like $100 more than the $30 Ray Cook... I've always struggled, like many have, with short chips. Is this a good solution?

My Titleist SC85 Bag holds:

Callaway Hyper X Driver - 10 Degree
Cobra Bafflers 1, 3 & 4
Cobra 3100 I/H Irons 5-GWTitleist Vokey Wedges 54 & 58PiNG i-Series Anser 4 PutterCallaway Big Bertha & Warbird Balls

Just practice with short chips. I don't think you'll get any respect for those.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

The Odyssey chipper has a 37° loft which is the same as a 7 or 8 iron. If you can move your 7 or 8 iron with a putting stroke, why waste one of your 14 clubs on a chipper when that iron can serve the purpose?

The only advantage I can see with a chipper is that it doesn't have any backspin-inducing grooves. I really think you'd be better off using one or more of your existing clubs to chip with. I very rarely am on the fringe - when I miss the green, I'm usually several yards away and rely on a pitch shot to get me close. Maybe when I get my handicap down I'll find myself on the fringe more often and need to chip, but right now I very rarely perform chip shots. I think as a 12 handicap you must already have a lot of experience chipping with a wedge or iron and would be better served continuing to practice with them rather than have to re-learn a whole new club.

The biggest thing for me is that I can't see needing to use a chipper often enough to make it worth having as one of my 14 clubs.

Note: This thread is 3701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!