• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scar1900

Hybrid loft for 3 iron replacement

9 posts in this topic

So I think I'm going to hop on the hybrind bandwagon and was wondering what loft I should get to replace my 3 iron. I hit my 3 iron about 205 yds.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Varies by brand and design but usually about 21 degrees.

I would check the stock loft of your current 3 iron online, because the hybrid's ball flight is going to be higher and longer than your 3 iron. Hybrids tend to have a lower center of gravity and a longer shaft, not to mention easier to hit so you'll be getting more out of it.

What are you looking for out of your hybrid? I know its to replace your 3 iron, but are you looking for a direct replacement or more of a RESCUE/trouble club?

I recenltly had to replace my 4 iron due to ... let's say a accident
I bought sonartec MD 23 degree and it is longer than my 4 iron. It carries consistently 195 - 200 yards, where my 4 iron was in the 180-190 range.
I guess the more consistant contact and the graphite shaft would add some distance for you too, 21 degree hybrid might work more like a 2 iron...
by the way - if you're looking for a sonartec - don't forget to ask Everado for a deal - he's sandtrap staff member who also is a authorized sonartec dealer

Awards and Achievements

That in itself is a good story

by the way - if you're looking for a sonartec - don't forget to ask Everado for a deal - he's sandtrap staff member who also is a authorized sonartec dealer

I'm happy to extend a discount on all custom built Sonartec Clubs. I'll post details of that later.

If you're looking for a stock Sonartec or another hybrid, I recommend GolfGods.com who is running a great promotion for The Sand Trap.com members. (Click the link above for more details)

Awards and Achievements

Due to a variety of factors, my 19 degree TaylorMade Rescue Dual TP went about the same distance as my 3-iron, so I bought both a 16-degree TP and a 17-degree 585.H (the latter of which I like a lot more).

The primary factor was that the TP hit the ball SOOO much higher than the 3-iron ever did... but I couldn't hit it low enough to satisfy my desires, either. So... I've found that the 17-degree 585.H, which travels a little farther than my old 2-iron, was a better replacement. And if I really crunch it I can get it out there to where my 3-wood would go on a smooth swing, or back off it a bit and hit it a touch further than my 3-iron.

Awards and Achievements

I had the 19 degree and 16 degree TM Rescue Mid. I'd agree with Erik that the 19 degree when too high, but about as far as easy 3-iron nonetheless. The 16 TM Rescue Mid went as far as a 5-wood me. The also had the 19 degree and 21 degree 585H. The 21 degree was too high and hit like a strong 4-iron. The 19 degree was similar flight and distance as my 3-iron. If you have the extra money to spend and want to hit the ball a little lower like a 3-iron, I think the 585H 19 degree is a good choice. If you don't mind hitting it a little higher, the 19 degree Rescue Mid is like $40 on Ebay.