IGNORED

Rickie Fowler's Swing...

GrahamD
Note: This thread is 3708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He says it's all feel, and if he gets in a rut he just tries to feel out where the club head is. His biggest strength IMO is his ridiculous shoulder turn (which you can't see from this angle). But the way he takes the clubs away is actually ironically simple. His hands go back on plane, the club stays where it started, and all he has to do at the top is flip the club over and turn his body into the downswing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He pretty much does a loop with the club

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

He says it's all feel, and if he gets in a rut he just tries to feel out where the club head is. His biggest strength IMO is his ridiculous shoulder turn (which you can't see from this angle). But the way he takes the clubs away is actually ironically simple. His hands go back on plane, the club stays where it started, and all he has to do at the top is flip the club over and turn his body into the downswing.

Seriously...watching his swing on slow motion makes my body hurt. The amount of torque his body gets and the way his lower body just whips out on the downswing is pretty damn amazing.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I think I understand what you are asking. I can't look at the video now but I think most golfers get the club a lot higher in the backswing and then allow it to drop into the slot on the way down but Fowler seems to take the club back on a very flat plane already in *the slot* he also has an enormous shoulder turn and unwinds like crazy with his lower body. He isn't very tall so having the shaft as flat as it is looks unusual for some reason.

A lot of people argue, however that he doesn't have a really flat swing so I don't know.

I wish I could see more things people's golf swings. I've noticed that over the last few months of taking lessons I've started to notice more and more details about a player's swing .. but not to the level that some of you guys can see. . . that's for sure.

To me - Fowler's swing looks like a fairly standard 2 plane swing (for a pro) . .takes it back above plane and drops into plane for the downswing. Sure it's long, loose and athletic . . but sort of normal looking to me (again . .for a pro).

It won't be from a golf swing.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Fred Couples taught a similar move that he called a "loop-lob" in Golf Magazine back in the early nineties. He would sort of pick the club up outside and then drop it into the slot. As I recall, it produced a high, soft-landing shot with just a hint of draw.

It sort of makes sense that if you take the club back outside, that it would loop back inside from the top.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

It might be interesting to look at, but I'd rather emulate the swing of one of the other "young guns".

Like Manessero, McIlroy, or Ishigawa.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wdefranc...40/0RaQFWSk8gw

Fowler's swing analyzed. Love his comment on the back and hospital.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

i don't think its that radical.
its just loose and relaxed

remember loose is fast.!

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

In this day and age with advanced video and technology, I thought all swings would start looking the same, but it's good to see that there are players who found their own way to swing a club. I say kudos to Fowler's individuality.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Some tosser on YouTube critiquing Rickie's swing. Great.

Rickie's swing is a rough-hewn, super athletic, unorthodox move. It's funny folks say they'd rather have Rory's move. Okay, but who's the one with back issues in their 20's.....ehhh...that'd be Rory.

I think, over time, his action might get simpler and some of the moving parts will be removed. I also think, as others have suggested, that if he ever 'loses it' that it could be really catastrophic. There's just so many movements and compensations to account for. One thing's for sure - Rickie has TONS of game and when he starts winning on tour, I can't see him stopping. He's got all the shots and the makeup to pull them off. Like his approach and his game quite a bit. Plus, if he starts hitting it croooked, he hits his wedges really well.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Note: This thread is 3708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!