IGNORED

Slippery grips on new Mizuno irons?

glbrum
Note: This thread is 4290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just got a new set of Mizuno irons and the grips are quite slippery [stock Mizuno M-21 grip]. On almost every swing at the range the last 2 days it feels like the club is gonna head down range with the ball. I've never had this problem before. Is it normal for new irons to have slippery grips [and my hands are not normally sweaty, nor were they any more sweaty than normal while hitting]?

I used a couple Mizuno demos the other day and didn't feel this at all. I also have owned a set of Mizuno MP-32s for about 4 years and never had a problem with slickness, although I'll admit I have no idea what the grips were on them, aside from having Mizuno written on them.

Have you used them a lot? Do you sweat a lot? Do you wear a glove?

WITB;

R9 9.5* TP Driver
906f2 15* 3 Wood
585h 21* Hybrid j33 Irons RAC tp 52*/56* Wedges Newport 1.5 e6 Ball

There the Tour velvets I believe and my MP T-10 hs the same grip and it isn't near as tacky as a tour wrap or others out there. Try getting a grip reconditiong spray and see if that helps.

In my Nexos

Driver R9 10.5*matrix ozik xcon 6
3wood dunlop Reaction 15*
hybrid Rescue 09 19* Aldila Re*ax 65 S Irons 755 3-PW project X flighted 5.5 Wedges MP T-10 52* 07 DG S300 WG 706 56* 12* bounce DG Wedge flex1018...

I just got these 2 days ago. JPX 800 Pro's, so they are a new model from Mizuno. I've only used them for 2 sessions. I don't wear a glove and I've never had problems in the past with the club slipping with my old irons. I may have to take these in the to the shop and see what they can do.

Tour velvets should be fine with or without a glove. Never heard of anyone complaining about slippage with them. Are you opposed to the idea of a glove? If not try it with a glove and see if it still feels slippery.

« Keith »

I actually hate wearing a glove. I used to do it, but stopped and it felt a lot better. It's actually quite uncomfortable to me now. I think the answer is to take them back to the shop and see if they see it as an issue

i have the same grips, the M21, no problems, maybe they still have a wax or some sort of coating from the factory.

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

Try a little dilute soap and water and a scrubbing sponge. I have the Tour Velvets and that was I use. Scrub the grip lightly, wipe with a dry towel and let dry in the sun. It could be just a little mold slip agent from the grip making process. Soap and water will remove it. Slip agents are usually silicone sprays.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try a little dilute soap and water and a scrubbing sponge. I have the Tour Velvets and that was I use. Scrub the grip lightly, wipe with a dry towel and let dry in the sun. It could be just a little mold slip agent from the grip making process. Soap and water will remove it. Slip agents are usually silicone sprays.

I think this is a great advice. It could be that the grips are too new.

I got fitted with the Golf Pride Tour Velvet midsize grips, which are pretty much the same thing with the stock Mizuno Tour Velvet, and never had a problem with it. Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

Sounds like a plan. I'll try this and see how it works.

My grips are still the stock M-21s that I've had for a few years and they are just starting to get slick.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just got a new set of Mizuno irons and the grips are quite slippery [stock Mizuno M-21 grip]. On almost every swing at the range the last 2 days it feels like the club is gonna head down range with the ball. I've never had this problem before. Is it normal for new irons to have slippery grips [and my hands are not normally sweaty, nor were they any more sweaty than normal while hitting]?

I bought my mizuno wedge from new and the grip came really slick and is still slick. I haven't got round to replacing it, but it really poor for a new club to come with such a bad grip.

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Over the years only twice I didn't have to regrip immediately (Vokey wedge and Cleveland TA1 irons). I have zero use for stock grips - PING especially - extremely horrible.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

An update: I took a wet towel and rubbed down the grips several times, let them air dry and then went out and played 12 holes. I noticed a slight increase in grip although it wasn't much more than before. I think the big difference is that I wasn't hitting shot, after shot, after shot with them like I would on the practice range. Like any round, you take a couple practice swings and hit the ball. The clubs seemed to be OK this way. I'm not super pleased [new grips might be my only option there] but for the time being they are okay.

I was in my local Golf Galaxy yesterday checking out Mizunos and grips. All of the Mizunos I held had the M-21 grip and they all felt pretty tacky. I also checked out the Golf Pride grips, and it looks like the M-21 are the same as the Golf Pride DD; those also felt tacky. From what I've seen there seems no reason to accept slick grips from Mizuno - why don't you simply tell your dealer you're not satisfied and have it rectified? New Mizunos are not cheap, and there is no reason for you to accept grips which are not up to standard.

Note: This thread is 4290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!