IGNORED

What makes a golf ball buzz/zing through air?

kennay92
Note: This thread is 1693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TONS of shots were making the noise period. It's all about where you are standing in relation to the golf ball. If the range was filled with pros and you could stand just off to the side about 30-50 yards out, you would hear it on nearly every shot..... but the pros won't hear their own buzz.... due to where they are standing in relation to their own ball flight.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

You are standing behind your own ball once it leaves the face of your club. That sound will be heard best from the sides. The friction against the air happens in front of the ball, not behind it, that's why you can't hear it when it's your ball.

DING, DING, DING, we have a WINNER.....I wanted to make sure you got the right answer before I posted.

sunmountain.gif C-130 Cart Bag: titleist.gif 910D2 10.5Deg   taylormade.gif R9 15Deg, Burner Superfast 5W/7W   mizuno.gif MP-57 5-PW
scratch.gif 54*ds, 58*ds    cameron.gif Red X2    callaway.gifTour iZ

Sometimes the humming is the ball crying out in pain, because I have struck it so firmly and squarely.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
It's air from inside of the ball being released through the seems upon impact. Duh!

Sure thing Sean. Same thing as what causes that different noise at impact right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sure thing Sean. Same thing as what causes that different noise at impact right?

That a different passing of gas. Is that smart alec named sean as well?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I went to the range today and played the ball really far back in my stance and could hear it. You guys go try it...psych.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

My divots make a buzzing sound.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I find that if there is a slight crack in the ball, it will cause it to make a lower noise than usual.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

• 3 years later...
I was just watching a golfer drive a ball on the golf channel and I reminisced when I tried to learn golf. I hit my first ball cleanly off the tee at the range in 1996. After getting pointers from any one I could. Maybe 10 hours in 3 driving lesions I started to feel that thing that only people who have swung a club and it hit for the first time. Remember that feeling guys (and gals)? The launch? The first time you "set it free"? I would say that after practicing for a couple months hitting ice cubes of a piece of carpet in my back yard. Oh, you should try that! No tee just like hitting a wood on a fairway but use regular ice cubes with a driver. They explode and give a great feedback when well hit. I went to learn golf at the local community college with my friend Jeff. So long story already long enough, I could not hit a ball to save my soul on a real course but on the driving range, every time, after 5-10 hits and found that feeling, my drives started to make that ziiiinnnggggg sound. Jeff driving next to me was memorized by the sound. It was loud too. I could hear it just fine. People several bays down would look around to see where that gunshot came from. Probably 2 full seconds of the flight. I am 5 feet 6 inches tall and 200 lbs at the time. Not fat, but not ripped. I guess after reading here and what others say, I was hitting them so hard. I never did hear anyone else hit like that. I never did see pros hit though. I don't know how far I hit. I only hit balls on the range for several months for the golf class and had some arthritis manifest to where I had to give up the game. My teacher said I hit too hard with not enough back swing. Not a complete back turn before I started down and through. So I'm thinking to hit as far as someone with a full back swing, I must have developed enormous club head speed in 3/4 of the distance of swing. Meaning I hit them like they had a motor on them giving every drive that zing sound. Sure do miss hitting golf balls. I can barely walk now from my hips and knees not working. Anyway, wanted to share. Thanks.

Just the friction of the air vs. urethane (or surlyn or whatever), enhanced by the dimples.

Exactly....... If a golf ball didn't have dimples,  the golf ball would definitely fly much quieter.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I find that if there is a slight crack in the ball, it will cause it to make a lower noise than usual.

It will probably sound the same, but the golf ball will lose a ton of distance if cracked.   The bigger the cracks, the shorter the ball flight.   I've been there done that many times in the cold....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

The humming bird chasing it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

You're standing directly behind yours!

This has another effect that hasn't been mentioned before: Doppler shift. To someone standing a few stalls away the Doppler shift isn't as much as it is for you, so all things being equal the sound will definitely be perceived differently by the hitter.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I'm a 20 hcpr, and played with my nephew and his dad last may.. All equally handicapped. 
Watching the dad hit a fairway wood, I remarked to the son, did you hear that fizz off that ball? 
And he replied: your shots do that all the time... 
I thought: WTF? I never hear that off my shots!! 
One post above about the boat wake and the lily pads makes sense in this. If memory serves, I've best heard this fizz noise when standing adjacent, and some distance, from the player. 

I came here while watching the british open, and the commentators may have mentioned this fizz noise being more pronounced on links turf.. I may have misheard. 

I guess it might one of those cool parts of golf, like backspin, that you never get to see with your own shots! : )

Note: This thread is 1693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!