IGNORED

Why Do People Cheat?

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

But wouldn't you say that he's cheating himself. He's certainly cheating himself out the opportunity to be a better golfer. He's cheating himself out the opportunity to join you in those tournaments you refer to. There is more to the definition of cheating than just taking advantage of your fellow competitor.

You could say that he is cheating himself. But if he doesn't feel like he's missing out, is he cheating himself? Playing competitively doesn't mean nearly as much to him as it does to me. I mean, he would play if I invited him, and we have played in some events before, but he just likes to get out and play, stakes or no stakes.

I absolutely love playing in competitive events and pressure situations because I tend to step my game up considerably. So if I were someone who routinely rolled the ball, hit mulligans, didn't play lost ball properly...that sort of thing, then I would definitely feel like I was cheating myself. I think the issue of whether not playing by the rules in a casual round of golf is cheating is left for interpretation. I agree that if you do not play by the rules, but then measure yourself against other golfers, then you are cheating. Heck, I know I don't always walk back to the tee and rehit if I have an "on-the-course lost ball". I sometimes accept gimmies. I just know that I can't turn in that scorecard for handicap purposes.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

• 4 years later...
If u going to keep score, then u need to play by the rules ; learning the basic rules is not difficult nor is it that time consuming - knowing and playing by the rules is addictive - once u ingrained good habits u will feel better about yourself as a golfer and u will earn respect from fellow golfers too - if u are not serious about the game, then u should make it known on the first tee box , u should not keep score and u are then not entitled to a handicap p.s : no golfer has the inherent right to a handicap, the handicap is earned in an honest way . There are some rules that are harsh , however, until the governing body changes these rules, we need to abide . u don't want to be known as a cheat at your club!

I've played with a guy who swears he's posting rounds 3 to 4 strokes from even par... but he's likely closer to a low-to-mid 80's player. The number of shots that go OB and he either forgets about or outright ignores is absurd. Then birdies that are bogeys... improved lies... etc. I've always been of the belief that I have to live with the knowledge that if I cheated to win... I didn't really win. I don't want to face that in the mirror. To date, I've yet to win a true tournament. When I finally do win one... I want to be able to hold my head up high and know I earned it. CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If u going to keep score, then u need to play by the rules ; learning the basic rules is not difficult nor is it that time consuming - knowing and playing by the rules is addictive - once u ingrained good habits u will feel better about yourself as a golfer and u will earn respect from fellow golfers too - if u are not serious about the game, then u should make it known on the first tee box , u should not keep score and u are then not entitled to a handicap p.s : no golfer has the inherent right to a handicap, the handicap is earned in an honest way . There are some rules that are harsh , however, until the governing body changes these rules, we need to abide . u don't want to be known as a cheat at your club!

Welcome to this site. There are lots of rules, and we look forward to seeing more posts from you discussing this and many other golf topics as well. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!