IGNORED

Bandon Dunes Golf Trip

Note: This thread is 4940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My dad and I are going up to Bandon for the week of Thanksgiving, and I had a couple questions. I was on the Bandon site and checked out the hole layouts for all four courses and I was amazed. The pictures were absolutely gorgeous, and I don't often splurge on a golf course, as I have the priveledge to call Torrey Pines my home course, but gee I want to play all 4 courses!!!! I really liked Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, and Bandon Trails the most. I could pass on Old Macdonald, as I'm sure it will be packed since it just opened...

Has anyone ever done a trip out there?
Which courses did you enjoy/reccommend?
What is the usual weather like in late November?
Any other courses in the area I should check out?

Thanks for the help.

Whats in my 14 Way Stand Bag?? Just...
taylormade.gif Superfast TP 8.5* Matrix HD6 Stiff
taylormade.gif '07 Burner 5 wood 18* Snr. 50g
titleist.gif 710 AP2 3-PW w/ Dy. Gold S300
taylormade.gif Z TP 52* 8* stock wedgeflexscratch.gif 8620 56* with D/S grindcallaway.gif 2009 Forged X-Tour 60* 10* bounce stock wedgeflexcameron.gif Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5, 32.5inches

I just made a trip up to bandon two months ago. We only got out for one round on bandon trails (couldn't afford a second round) and it's absolutely gorgeous and I cannot wait to go back.

I'm not sure about november but ive heard the wind settles down allot. We had 20-30 mph wind all day and extremely heavy fog. I still thought it was fantastic.

A few miles away there is a muni course called bandon crossings. Its a very nice course for the money. More of a woods setting but I would try it out if I were you

I've only played Bandon, but I get alot of vibes that Pacific Dunes is even better although Bandon was the first. My regret is not playing PD while I was there, so play as many as you can.

There is Sandpiper something about an hour or so north. Great looking course, but never played it. Much cheaper.

Get that knockdown shot working good.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since Bandon isn't easy to get to, it's highly recommended to play all the courses while there otherwise you'll always regret it. And even though Old MacDonald just opened, nothing at Bandon is "packed". Weather around that time will not likely be too nice - you may get a little surprise, but pack warm, carry lot's of extra gloves, and make sure your weatherproofs are up to the task unlike the Ryder Cup outfits!

I was there last year. Played Pacific first, then Bandon and Trails the next day. The next day we played Bandon Crossing, which is down the road and not affiliated with Bandon Dunes. Really liked it (My blistered, on top on blistered feet LLLOOOOVVVVEEDDD having carts!!) We went in mid September and had great weather. We were lucky. Before I went people raved about Pacific and Bandon and were iffy on the Trails course, but I actually liked the Trails course very much. They are all great courses and I took a ton of pictures. Greatest golf trip I ever took. Have the steak sandwich at the Trails restaurant its incredible. Steakhouse was ok, expensive. Pub was good. Closed the Bunker Bar, I think that's the name. Not recommended if you have an early tee time!!!! Wear comfy shoes because your feet will thank you. I don't know how the caddies walk and carry two bags?? Have a great time and go low!!!

Pacific Dunes was out favorite too, although I haven't played either of the new courses.

Bring clothing for any weather condition, things change rapidly there. Also, work on different shots now to warm up for the types of shots needed to score there. You can't hit high bombs off the tee or into the green as often, it's a smarter play to hit knock downs that release and punch shots that work their way onto the green.

Also, bring a fair amount of balls. The large undulations in the fairway can and will kick a good drive into the gorse lining the fairways (not terribly fun to see).

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Never played there, but do live in the area. November could bring nice weather but more then likely it will be windy and rainy. So bring lots of dry clothes and good rain gear. Rain gloves and make surethe grips on your clubs are good.

Bandon Dunes is the most scenic and least punishing, that's what they will tell you in the pro shop if you ask. Weather is a crap shoot on the southern oregon coast in the winter. We went mid January last year and got lucky, windless, dry and 58 degrees.

Also, we could have walked on that day. The course was NOT crowded.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I've been to Bandon Dunes the last two Thanksgivings and plan on going back this year. We've had incredible weather and I'm hoping for more of the same.

2008 was sunny, no wind, and 60 degrees for 4 days. 2009 had heavy rain on Thanksgiving day, windy with some sprinkles on Friday, and sunny/warm/light winds on the weekend.

Definitely play all 4 courses. Even in November, it is possible to get in 36 holes a day. You just need one of the first tee times of the day. The courses aren't that tough to walk, though dragging a push-cart through the sand dunes can be a pain.

I'm looking forward to playing Old MacDonald for the first time. Bandon is my favorite with Pacific Dunes a close second. Bandon Trails isn't as strong as those two, but it is still one of the top 25 courses I've played.

If you're driving to the north, Sandpines Golf Links in Florence is a nice course. I've also heard good things about Bandon Crossings, which is a few miles south of the town of Bandon.

-Dave

Note: This thread is 4940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!