IGNORED

Anyone else here hunt?

nhwoj
Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We use anything sweet and smelly. We can actually buy barrels of sweets that are outdated.

Haha, I see that I misread your earlier post. I thought your "Seriously..." was like, why are you asking that? Missed there wasn't a question mark, partly cuz I didn't think Little Debbies was a serious reply. I like em too, the oatmeal with cream in them. Eatin right again and the thought of those is making my mouth water. But really, that is amazing, completely foreign to me.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do have to admit, though, that after taking up golf and playing for the last 4 years or so that I stopped noting the kill zone locations on animals I encounter either on or off the course. Instead, I see golf shots that I could make with a wedge or iron everywhere I walk, and annoy my wife doing mirror work in the morning when I get up. . .:-D

My man! He doesnt see the balance so I wish him well.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Whitetail hunting used to be my passion until I started playing golf. Fortunately, the two season seldom overlap where I live. I really enjoy grouse hunting as well because I get to bring my dog out with me. Anyone hunt wild turkey?

It's unfortunate that people take such a negative view towards hunters. As with any group, there are certainly the a-holes that give us all a bad name, but most of the hunters I know have deep respect for nature. I don't kill anything I don't eat (unless it's an animal that will cause harm to my house). What ever game I put in the freezer is that much less meat I have to buy at the market. Some people are horrified by the thought of an animal being killed by a hunter.  By comparison, if you've ever witnessed a deer dying from starvation or a broken back due to being hit by a car, it's really not that horrible. I could go on and on, but I'll just step off my soapbox now.

Anyway, I've never hunted bear and with all the time I've spent in the woods, have only seen a few of them. I've had encounters with coyotes coming right up to me - which was kind of cool. Just getting out there, being alone in the woods and seeing wildlife is a thrill that never seems to get old. And trying to outsmart an animal in his environment is not always easy. This may sound really f'ing stupid, but time spent hunting seems more normal to me than sitting in an office (which is where I spend most of my life).

• Upvote 1

Jon

If I was allowed to hunt white tails at my home course I'd never have to go in the woods! I do enjoy a good hunt though. Nothing like freezing your ass off for 5 hours hoping just to see something. Some people don't get it, but some people find golf boring too. Different strokes.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

If I was allowed to hunt white tails at my home course I'd never have to go in the woods! I do enjoy a good hunt though. Nothing like freezing your ass off for 5 hours hoping just to see something. Some people don't get it, but some people find golf boring too. Different strokes.

Yeah, but blood in the fairways might piss off some of the other golfers. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, but blood in the fairways might piss off some of the other golfers. . .

I'll take them from the second cut then. ;)

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

• 2 months later...

Reading this thread made me think of this ... [URL=http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/kensisland/media/Golf/redneckgolferred-wihite.jpg.html] [/URL]

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Reading this thread made me think of this ... [URL=http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/kensisland/media/Golf/redneckgolferred-wihite.jpg.html] [/URL]

Typical.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 5 months later...

Any good stories from the archery or rifle season of 2015? I saw a few nice deer come in Sunday morning but  decided not to take a shot. It was just nice to be out there and see them moving.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing almost nothing moving last month, I went out with the muzzleloader this morning and saw at least 5 does at about 150 yards out - too far for a safe shot. Still, it was nice to see something.

Next weekend will be the last chance to put venison in the freezer. With the price of beef being what it's been, I haven't had a good steak in long time.

Jon

Where I hunt (northern WI), we have had a couple of really hard winters, the predator (wolf & bear) population is high, and very close to where I hunt, logging has been stopped (long story).  This all adds up to deer numbers being considerably lower than they have been.  

In a typical year (5-7) years ago or better, even if I didn't see a "shooter" buck, I would still see multiple small bucks.  My son has been hunting with me the past two years, and I have been hoping he can get a crack at his first buck.  We can't even see a spike.  I am really down on hunting right now.  I hope it some how turns around.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

9 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

Where I hunt (northern WI), we have had a couple of really hard winters, the predator (wolf & bear) population is high, and very close to where I hunt, logging has been stopped (long story).  This all adds up to deer numbers being considerably lower than they have been.  

In a typical year (5-7) years ago or better, even if I didn't see a "shooter" buck, I would still see multiple small bucks.  My son has been hunting with me the past two years, and I have been hoping he can get a crack at his first buck.  We can't even see a spike.  I am really down on hunting right now.  I hope it some how turns around.

That's too bad. Hopefully it's a cyclical thing and your son will have many chances to get one. I've alway thought of Wisconsin as a state full of trophy bucks (probably read too many Field and Stream articles). Does the state DNR do a poor job of managing the herd, in your opinion?

I'm across the Lake from you guys in Northern Michigan. Three years ago they initiated Antler Point Restrictions and a lot of us were very glad to see it. It's hard to tell what kind of impact it's had with a couple of bad winters in that time period. I can't see it doing anything but helping. Having said that, I've yet to even fill my doe permit. But I'm pretty selective about not shooting young deer and making sure I have a safe shot.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

That's too bad. Hopefully it's a cyclical thing and your son will have many chances to get one. I've alway thought of Wisconsin as a state full of trophy bucks (probably read too many Field and Stream articles). Does the state DNR do a poor job of managing the herd, in your opinion?

I'm across the Lake from you guys in Northern Michigan. Three years ago they initiated Antler Point Restrictions and a lot of us were very glad to see it. It's hard to tell what kind of impact it's had with a couple of bad winters in that time period. I can't see it doing anything but helping. Having said that, I've yet to even fill my doe permit. But I'm pretty selective about not shooting young deer and making sure I have a safe shot.

I do think some mistakes were made by the DNR.  Some things are out of their hands though.  The wolves in the great lakes region are protected again.

I think they have (and continue to) mismanage the bear population.  Until recently, they also gave out a lot of doe tags.

I hope it is cyclical as well. I also hope it does not take to long to turn around.  IMO hunting is a healthy hobby, and I hope my sons interest does not wane if it stays poor to long.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Talking to a former student who is now a colleague this morning, he told me about taking his son out this year for the fist time.  They had an 8 pointer come into range and so, he was going to let his son get his first deer.  Long story short, he couldn't do it yet and they didn't get the deer.  So, he told his son that next year, that one will be bigger and they will get him.  After they left the deer stand and went to get breakfast, all the young man would talk about is next year.  The dad will still go out a few more times but with a bow. 

I live along a big woods and an open farm field.  There will never be houses behind my house.  Every morning, we have 4 does in our back yard.  There is a huge buck hanging around as well.  If I wanted, I could take him any day.  Still, I won't do so from my house.  We are out by ourselves. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

21 hours ago, CoachB25 said:

I live along a big woods and an open farm field.  There will never be houses behind my house.  Every morning, we have 4 does in our back yard.  There is a huge buck hanging around as well.  If I wanted, I could take him any day.  Still, I won't do so from my house.  We are out by ourselves. 

I'm kind of the same way when it comes to hunting from my property - but then again, I have neighbors. Deer come into my yard nightly, but I'd rather drive out to the National Forest (about 3 miles), and walk a few hundred yards just so I'm not around houses or other people. To me, that's what hunting is all about. When you're out there hiding in a blind, the deer know what's going on.

Still, I envy those who have enough property and money to set up a proper habitat for the deer. I think they do better living close to homes and farms than they do out in the middle public land.

Jon

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

I'm kind of the same way when it comes to hunting from my property - but then again, I have neighbors. Deer come into my yard nightly, but I'd rather drive out to the National Forest (about 3 miles), and walk a few hundred yards just so I'm not around houses or other people. To me, that's what hunting is all about. When you're out there hiding in a blind, the deer know what's going on.

Still, I envy those who have enough property and money to set up a proper habitat for the deer. I think they do better living close to homes and farms than they do out in the middle public land.

I agree and we set salt and a mineral block out for the deer in the winter.  So, I wouldn't consider shooting one of them. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

On 3/19/2015 at 1:31 AM, danL said:

I'll take them from the second cut then. ;)

When you field dress them and a ball lands on the guts, would that be considered GUR? Loose impediment might not be quite right as the guts are pretty heavy. Plus, when you pull them out would you take the cart paths? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

We had a decent opening weekend (hunting in NW MN). Saw a fair amount of deer moving around. Saw a lot of smaller bucks this year and we only saw one big buck, but was never close enough for anyone to take a shot. I passed on a few 6 points and below, but we did end up with 3 nice 8 points in camp amongst 10 guys.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!