IGNORED

Winter golf

Note: This thread is 4861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well my course is closing in two weeks but I would like to still get in a round or two a month this winter, does anyone know of any course that keeps the greens open all year in Montana or North Dakota? For that matter, how far south of the Canadian border (alberta / saskatchewan) would I have to go to find an open course with greens (not temporaries, I can do that at home)? Rumour has it that Havre and Billings has a course that stays open but these seem a little northern for that to happen. Any leads are appreciated.

14 at any time: Nike Sumo Sq 10.5 degree, Srixon 12 degree 3 wood, Nike 17 degree 4 wood, Adams 3 hybrid, X-18 irons 3-pw, Callaway 52 degree, Vokey 56 & 60, Taylormade Rossa putter

I would call around, I am located in the heart of America. We get lots of snow but as long as the weather holds out and course is playable, most places keep the course open. Just an idea.

Burner 10.5: Driver
Burner 15: 3 Wood
Burner 22: Hybrid
Tour Action 6: 4-PW
Rac TP Black 52 & 60 Niblick 56 Rossa Imola 8 Pro V1 & Pro V1x Powerband Bag

Up that far north you need to find a place either on the water or get lucky and hope for not much snow.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even as far south as here in Colorado there are no guarantees of winter golf, especially the last few years. Used to be that we got plenty of play during the winter here in Denver, but for the last 3 years we've had snow cover from December through the beginning of March, so for 3 months, no golf. My home course does use the regular greens when they are open, so that is nice... hoping for a better winter this year.

Where the hell is global warming when you need it?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Well my course is closing in two weeks but I would like to still get in a round or two a month this winter, does anyone know of any course that keeps the greens open all year in Montana or North Dakota? For that matter, how far south of the Canadian border (alberta / saskatchewan) would I have to go to find an open course with greens (not temporaries, I can do that at home)? Rumour has it that Havre and Billings has a course that stays open but these seem a little northern for that to happen. Any leads are appreciated.

On that line - straight South of Calgary - you're gonna have to go a long way. It's not just the lattitude, but the alititude. From Calgary you might be better off catching a Las Vegas package or head over to Vancouver or Victoria.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Florida?

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Thanks everyone, I'll keep checking back. I will probably wind up calling Billings, Havre and Great Falls. I was in a hockey tournament in great Falls 4 years ago in february. Left Canada in 30 below (celcius) wether and Great Falls was 14 celcius. There was no snow to be seen and people were on motor bikes. They said it was like that most of the year. I'm skeptical but a weekend of golf once a month through winter would be worth the drive and hotels. If I find out anything I'll post it here.

14 at any time: Nike Sumo Sq 10.5 degree, Srixon 12 degree 3 wood, Nike 17 degree 4 wood, Adams 3 hybrid, X-18 irons 3-pw, Callaway 52 degree, Vokey 56 & 60, Taylormade Rossa putter

Thanks everyone, I'll keep checking back. I will probably wind up calling Billings, Havre and Great Falls. I was in a hockey tournament in great Falls 4 years ago in february. Left Canada in 30 below (celcius) wether and Great Falls was 14 celcius. There was no snow to be seen and people were on motor bikes. They said it was like that most of the year. I'm skeptical but a weekend of golf once a month through winter would be worth the drive and hotels. If I find out anything I'll post it here.

I lived in Great Falls for 9 years and yes, it does get warm when the Chinnook wind blows off the mountains. But it gets bitterly cold too. I've see 45° below there.... I've also seen it go from 20 below to 45 above overnight with a good Chinook wind. But you can't plan very far ahead for it.... just take it as it comes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A flight from Saskatoon to Vancouver takes < 2 hours and costs about what, $150 including airport fees? Personally I'd take my chances heading Southwest (Vegas or Van city) v. straight South, but that's just my Alberta mentality. EDIT: I was just thinking about local transportation and lower mainland greens fees (i.e. taxis or rental cars). Maybe you're on to something.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 3 weeks later...
I checked into things a bit and there is no golf that is a reasonable days drive from sk or ab to the US. Time to start thinking of what I can do for indoor practice.

Vancouver is good value in the winter. Courses reduce green fees significantly. You can fly for less than 100 each way. I flew to Vancouver 3 times each winter when I lived in Edmonton. Now I live in Paradise (just played today...10C and sunny).

Northview has amazing drainage, you can play it in torrential downpour...used to be the home of the Air Canada Open. It's around $60 in winter, you can find many other courses in the $40 range, but for $20 more...play the best winter course.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

Your passion is awesome and good luck finding a course. I hope you can get to one close by that's open year round.

Driver: Burner 10.5
Hybrid: Ben Hogan 19 degree
Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5's
Wedges: Nike 60*, Cleveland G14 52*, Taylormade 56*
Putter: Ping TI3Ball:Taylormade RedBlog: www.wamgolf.comFavorite Course: Pine Valley Golf Club (NJ)

Looks like Vancouver is the place to go. I'll be checking for flight & hotel prices!

Your best bet is in Surrey. Northview is one of the best, if not the best winter course. They have 2 courses and a really great practice facility.

You have 3 choices for hotels, they're on the map. Most hotels less than 3 stars will be total dumps (roach motels). When I lived in Edmonton, I would stay at the Sheraton Guildford (3.5 star); I used to get it for $50-$65 on Priceline.com, but that was 3-4 years ago. You could probably still get it for $60-$80 by naming your own price on Priceline. If you use Priceline, select zone 8 and only 3 & 3.5 stars, this will eliminate all the other hotel. Typically you can expect 50% off the going rate, but I have found Surrey is closer to 75% off these days...

If you taxi from the airport, stay at the Holiday Inn east, it's just around the corner from the course, but your best bet is to rent a car ($25-$30/day) since cab fare will be at lest this much both ways; then you can use priceline to choose your hotel. You can also get a car using Priceline.

I did all the research when I lived in Edmonton and flew out multiple times per year for 4 years...so I thought I'd save you the work...

Anyone who flys out to Vancouver to play...let me know, I'm always up for a round.

Buy the black rain gloves
Rain pants

Rain in the winter is usually just a drizzle, quite often it will be raining in Vancouver, but Northview receives little to no rain. South Surrey is typical for much less rain than the rest of the Lower mainland. Anywhere near the mountains, North Van, Coquitlam gets lots of rain, even if it's a sunny day, the courses will be soft and swampy (in the winter) Vancouver itself has some great courses (university course and the city courses), but you will be paying way more for hotel and risk a greater chance of rain)

In the Bag

What about the island? I've played a few nice courses there, but not for ~ 15 years.

Nanaimo is cheap in the winter and there are hotels very close by. Nanimo is also usually 1-2 degrees warmer than Vancouver, but overnight lows are worse, so you'll be dealing with frost. Depending on the month, Nainamo is also temp greens. Parksville is 30 minutes north of Nanaimo and usually warmer (micro climate), still, the over night lows will be lower than Vancouver.

Victoria will be the warmest local with the least rain. Olympic View is your best bet, it's in the southwest which recieves the least rain and can even be a degree warmer. Hotel will be more expensive and further away from the ideal course and flight will cost more, far fewer flight deals to be had. Victoria would make a nicer vacation, but less practical if the goal is cheapest golf...

In the Bag

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the tip on Surrey, hotel recommendations and car rental info plus the map.

Note: This thread is 4861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!