IGNORED

Used clubs

timbone03
Note: This thread is 4927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a huge fan of purchasing my clubs used. The way I view it is like purchasing a new car. The second you take it off the lot you lost money. Do any of you buy your clubs used?

Side note: I am very picky with my used clubs they have to be in tip top shape in order for me to buy them though.

Burner 10.5: Driver
Burner 15: 3 Wood
Burner 22: Hybrid
Tour Action 6: 4-PW
Rac TP Black 52 & 60 Niblick 56 Rossa Imola 8 Pro V1 & Pro V1x Powerband Bag

All my clubs were bought used (other than wedges) from Joe & Leighs in Easton (same guys that run 3 balls golf). They get nice stuff in and I deal with them a lot so I never have to worry about a thing. They are also very generous with trade ins which make dealing with them great.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I bought my last set used on Ebay. I am very happy with my irons. The only concerns with used clubs are the following:

1) Not counterfeit or knock offs
2) View the product in person or many pictures online
3) With Ebay, to make sure that the seller has many transaction with high rating at 100% or 99.0% - 100%
4) know the return policy

I agree that used clubs are great values and I have bought many golf items from Ebay.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I buy lots of used clubs, especially putters. Like you - I'm picky about their condition.

So far this year, I've bought two fairway woods, two hybrids, ~4 drivers, and ~8+ putters... all used. I bought my irons last year from a guy who won them in a tournament. They weren't used (still had plastic on them), but I certainly didn't pay retail price. The only clubs in my bag I paid retail for are my 3 Vokeys.

My problem is that I'm too lazy to put the clubs I don't use on Ebay and get some money for them. I have some nice clubs just sitting in the closet that I'll probably never use.

All my clubs were bought used (other than wedges) from Joe & Leighs in Easton (same guys that run 3 balls golf). They get nice stuff in and I deal with them a lot so I never have to worry about a thing. They are also very generous with trade ins which make dealing with them great.

This. Buy all my clubs used from Joe & Leigh's.

I buy lots of used clubs, especially putters. Like you - I'm picky about their condition.

I've donated a lot of sporting goods to charity over the years (plus clothing, audio video equipment, housewares, furniture, two cars, etc...). I feel a lot less guilty when I turn away telephone and door-to-door canvasers. Because of other people's generosity, I was able to furnish my first house relatively cheaply (new beds though - you gotta draw the line somewhere).

All my irons are used - a hint of pre-existing bag chatter means I can avoid the "iron covers" debate and just go hit the cra* out of them.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I buy from the used section at stores and saved so much money. I prefer to buy wedges new though.

The used clubs in the Manhattan NY Golfsmith are pricey. Big difference between that and a store say in North Carolina obviouzsly. I found so many great deals out of state I don't even bother looking in NY.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i buy used too, usually online

Driver-used, price was $185, retail today is $300
Fwy-new, but price was $100 (head), shaft $20, tip $25 = $145, retail $269
Hy-used for $75, retail $155
Irons-used for $450, retail still $999
Wedges-used for $125 (pair), retail $145/wedge
Putter-FREE, won in a tourney this year, retail $159
Bag-new, paid $129, retail is $179

My price-$1109
Retail-$2172
Savings-$1063 AND a MUCH happier wifey!! hahaha!

agreed from the OP
golf clubs depreciate worse than new cars
and anythng i bought used, could have been passed as new

i like to HO clubs a bit too.....so, buying used allows me to sell them if i want to try something new and never lose money
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Eight putters?? Wow haha.

And I still haven't found one that I feel "fits" me. So far this year I've used:

Scotty Studio Select Newport 2.5 (liked it, but someone offered me a good price for it, so I sold it) Scotty Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (ok, but wasn't crazy about it) Scotty California Del Mar (had 20g weights, couldn't control distance well on our greens) Cleveland Classic CC1 (didn't have much feel to me) Yes! Callie Forged (not bad, but still lacked feel to me) Yes! Caroline belly putter (belly putters aren't for me. no distance control) Ping Redwood Piper S (feels good. kept it, but don't use it much.) Odyssey White Hot XG #9 (made putts like crazy the first 3 rounds with it. Can't make anything now. Doesn't fit my stroke well.) Odyssey White Hot XG #1 (my main putter at the moment) Scotty Studio Select Squareback #2 - picking it up today I actually bought all of these at a very good price. The ones I didn't keep I sold for a small profit.

Bought my woods and putter new, the rest used.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

My price-$1109

Agreed! My wife never says anything to me about how much I spend on golf, thankfully. :)

My bag | Price I paid | Retail Price Driver - Titleist 909D2 | $80 | $300 3 Wood - Titleist 909F2 | $115 | $200 Hybrid - Adams A7 | $70 | $150 Irons - Mizuno MP52 | $400 | $900 (I got mine brand new.. a complete STEAL!) Wedge - Vokey 52 | $120 | $120 Wedge - Vokey 56 | $120 | $120 Wedge - Vokey 60 | $120 | $120 Putter - Odyssey White Hot XG #1 | $70 | $120 I figure I paid about $1100 over the last couple years, and the retail price is roughly $2180 with tax. If I HAD to pay retail, I definitely wouldn't be playing most of the stuff in my bag. My regular playing partners poke fun at me for going through putters and drivers so quickly.. but I always break even when I sell something and get something different. One of my regular playing partners purchased a set of Burner 2.0 last week and paid retail. Along with a Taylormade bag and an R9 driver. Nothing wrong with it if you've got the money to burn...

The only club I got new was my driver, and I got that for free through a premium points program that a manufacturer used to have.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

The only club I got new was my driver, and I got that for free through a premium points program that a manufacturer used to have.

i usually buy slightly used clubs because of the good deals you can get. Although buying something brand new is always better because you get to break it in. I usually buy brand new wedges tho

Bought a lot of my clubs used and had no problems. My current irons were bought "like new" on eBay and they were brand new still in plastic. Lately a lot of eBay retailers get around the pricing set by companies by advertising that one of the irons were hit making them "used".

« Keith »

Im a huge fan of used stuff. Pretty much anything but beds or couches. Bed bugs are a problem in HAwaii and I sell beds and couches anyway so I pay wholesale :)
got my TM driver for $50 in excellent shape
Ping clone fairway woods for $10 each and they work
traded a great discount on a bed and dresser for my AP1's (no kidding)
Got the Vokeys for $100 total and the putter I paid $50 for when it was still $129 in the store.
The only new thing I have is a glove, hart and bag that I got for my birthday.
I always scour the putters at goodwill looking for a scottsdale ping too or my old titleist A100 pro irons or whatever it was I used to have.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Aside from my current driver and one set of irons about 10 years ago (Goldwin AVDP Oversize...yuck!) all of my clubs have been used. I've purchased most of them on Ebay and I have never been burned.

I also own 8 putters - all Ping Ansers - of various vintages. They're like my babies.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I have a mix of new and used clubs. My new clubs are my Driver, 3W, 5W and 50.08 GW. But I got all of these after the first or second price cut, so I got a decent discount before taking it off the car lot , so to speak.

I prefer to buy face-to-face so I can physically inspect and hit the clubs first.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!