IGNORED

Best fairway wood?

Note: This thread is 4915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The par 5's are pretty short at my course and since a new rule that states all juniors have to play off junior tees the par 5's are really short.

I can get within 30m of one of par 5's in two with a driver hybrid, and the other I'm left will 100m.

I'm thinking about adding a nice 5 wood or a stronger hybrid.

Any suggestions?

and btw 19 isn't my real handicap. I'm more around a 12 maybe less, ball striking is good enough to smack my 2 wood down the middle.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Give the superfast a shot when you go testing, i liked it better than the R9. The 909F is also very good.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I use the 909F in both 3w and 5w and absolutely love it. Switched over last year from one that I had used for a couple years, which is the Callaway X-Tour Fairway wood. Both are great fairway woods imo.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Test the Cleveland HiBore I bought the 3wood and I can really bomb it. The feel was so good I tried the HiBore Hybrid 19* and now game both. They both can be had very cheap right and are def worth trying.

OGIO Grom Stand Bag:
Driver - Taylormade R7 Limited 9.5*
3Wood - Cleveland Hibore 15*
Hybrid - Cleveland Hibore 19*
Irons - Taylormade R7s 4-GWWedges - Cleveland CG12s Black pearl 54*/12* & 58*/8*Putter - Rife ArubaBack-ups - Karsten Anser / Odyssey White Ice #9Ball - Taylormade Burner TP & LDP...

Check out the Callaway FT fairway woods, they have them on Global Golf in there open box section for $99 w/ different shaft options. I got a 4 wood w/ a Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blue shaft.

Try some stronger hybrids too. May give you more versatility if you don't hit the fairway. On a launch monitor, I was able to hit a 17 degree hybrid within 5-10 yds of my 3 wood. Slight loss in distance, a lot more accuracy and consistency.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

I really like my old Ping g5. I went out and got the 7 wood and 5 wood on ebay for an amazing price. I don't carry the 5 wood as I don't have the room or need but they really perform well for me. They set up square, good off the deck and tee, and just nice clubs in general with the stock or upgraded shafts.

Brian

I've got two that I really like, the Cobra Speed LD series from 08, and the Cleveland launcher DST. I've got the Cobra in a 5 wood, and I'm looking for a 3 wood to replace the Cleveland, only because I really like the shaft in the cobra (Graphite Design Tour AD).

For distance check out Tour Edge Exotics.

I'll try them if I can find them I doubt I will though.

I'm not sure about the superfast woods, I'd still want accuracy too and I heard the faces on them are pretty deep. I like my current burner rescue, I might look into getting a wood of that make. I just hope the guy in the shop doesn't point me straight to all the expensive new stuff first...

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

and btw 19 isn't my real handicap. I'm more around a 12 maybe less, ball striking is good enough to smack my 2 wood down the middle.

You are a junior member of a club. Why don't you know your handicap?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I like the original burner woods. If you like the hybrid, I think you will enjoy the woods aswell. I would also look into the TP model if you want more accuracy and playability. I have no complaints with my 5 wood, just that I need a shaft upgrade. On a sidenote I also really liked the R9 fairway woods. Let us know what you choose!

Whats in my 14 Way Stand Bag?? Just...
taylormade.gif Superfast TP 8.5* Matrix HD6 Stiff
taylormade.gif '07 Burner 5 wood 18* Snr. 50g
titleist.gif 710 AP2 3-PW w/ Dy. Gold S300
taylormade.gif Z TP 52* 8* stock wedgeflexscratch.gif 8620 56* with D/S grindcallaway.gif 2009 Forged X-Tour 60* 10* bounce stock wedgeflexcameron.gif Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5, 32.5inches

You are a junior member of a club. Why don't you know your handicap?

I joined in july off of 28.

Played in a few competitions and dropped 10 shots. Didn't play in enough to keep going though and then school at the end of august and the competitions stopped so my handicap hasn't changed.
I like the original burner woods. If you like the hybrid, I think you will enjoy the woods aswell. I would also look into the TP model if you want more accuracy and playability. I have no complaints with my 5 wood, just that I need a shaft upgrade. On a sidenote I also really liked the R9 fairway woods. Let us know what you choose!

I have the TP hybrid, I liked the heavier shaft.

I'll probably go for the TP one as well, I have 40 euro's in vouchers and 170 euro. I'm not planning to spend 210 euro on a wood though! I like the idea of the R9, if I can get a good deal I'll get it.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I've found the older Adams BUL fwys to be as long and solid as anything out there and still have my 3 & 5 woods waiting for new shafts, but that being said the ones in my sig. are long and more forgiving.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I like my Titleist 909 F2 3 wood. Though it isn't the longest wood out there (combination of higher loft and shorter shaft than most 3 woods) it's quite accurate and easy to work, something I find important for such a long club.

Swap out your Snead 2-wood for a 13* or 15* 3W. Try out different shaft combos.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a midcapper, with ambition like yourself
Played a Mizuno F60 3 wood. Good from the tee, but very hard to hit from the fairway for me. So I looked around for a new one. Deciding between Titleist 909f2 and Ping G15. Pulled the trigger today and ordered a Ping G15 3w because I expect it to be more forgiving than the 909f. And as a midcapper, the extra forgiveness will amount to more consistent results i presume. Hopefully I still will be able to fade or draw it when needed. Time will tell.

Note: This thread is 4915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!