IGNORED

Tap in "Gimme" Putting tips

hacker23
Note: This thread is 4877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

just practiced this at the range and LOVING this tip! it forces me to follow through.

I am glad the tip helped you, I do not know if someone told me that or I just started to do it to ensure my follow through was finished... On another note, that will be $45's for the lesson... ;>)

I like to take the little putter flag out on practice greens, to make it as realistic as possible, but pretend that its still there, and roll the ball through the hole, trying to ring that imaginary metal flag stick with the ball, gently of course. Another one that helped me is for short ones with a little break. I usually aim for the center, or the edge of the cup for long putts, but with the shorter ones, you can fine-tune it a little, so I aim for a few centimeters off-center of the back of the cup. Its not the edge of the cup, its not the center, but there's a nice little in-between that gives me great confidence for any slightly-breaking short ones. Another one I can think of, try to feel the break of short putts with the feet, because a lot of the putting path is directly below us while we putt the short ones. And my last advice is to not quit on the putt. The putter head must at LEAST travel as far forward as you took it back. I dont like to take the putter head back too little and end up using more muscle to swing forward. I just decide the line, make a good stroke, accept the result.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

Sounds like some people are tensing up and are "trying not to miss" these putts.  The best thing to do is totally relax, choose the line and just stroke the ball firmly into the cup.....no negative thoughts.

Take alook at some other sports.....basketball, you are looking at the hoop before and then during your free throw.  Bowling, you are looking at the pins. etc

In golf.....my setup includes, choosing the line and then 3 (always 3) practice strokes while staring at the hole, not the ball.  My mind now knows where the hole is.  I now allow my body to hit the ball the correct direction and speed without further thought.  It works very well for me.

I learned this one day while I was on the police pistol team.  The instructor told me to stare at the target bullseye while the tournament director gave instructions on this segment of the competition.  It was a 7 yard, from the hip shoot.  You can't aim, you have 3 seconds to unholster and fire 1 round from the hip.  YEP.....staring at that bulleyes told my body and brain right where that bullseye was.....that first shot was always dead center.

I now use this in golf.  While all my friends are putting.....yes, I'm boring to be around on the greens....I stand somewhere behind my ball and stare at the back of the hole until its my turn.  My brain and body now know where that hole is.  I use the above setup and practice strokes and putt away!!

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Note: This thread is 4877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!