IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

How can a guy who has won the US Open, PGA Championship and Open Championship by the age of 25 be overrated? He has weaknesses, but so do all professional sports people.  It's going to be fascinating this week to see if he can cope with the really high winds and fast opening 36 hole conditions at PGA National this week.

Rors was only sixteen years old, a junior teener, when he defeated men, men twice his age with 15 years of competitive golf under the bridge, at Lahinch in a nationwide Irish competition.  So he was good then, for sure. And that was a few years back as he is now 22 years.

Only a fool would deny that Rory is 'king of the heap' and champion of the golf world. Any man that would challenge him and  take his place better have over-large cojones.  Someone commented here that he is 'a monster'.  Very apt.

How can a guy who has won the US Open, PGA Championship and Open Championship by the age of 25 be overrated? He has weaknesses, but so do all professional sports people.  It's going to be fascinating this week to see if he can cope with the really high winds and fast opening 36 hole conditions at PGA National this week.

The OP started this thread in 2010, before Rory won all of his majors. I believe he only had one win on the PGA Tour and one win on the European Tour at the time, but was being touted as the next coming of Tiger. Rory at 21 had a more accomplished professional career than Tiger, although Tiger went to college and Rory became a professional at 18. If you just compare their PGA Tour seasons when they were 21, Rory (1 win, 2 3rd place finishes, 5 top 10s) and Tiger (2 wins, 2 3rd place finishes, 5 top 10s) are pretty comparable. They both won the first major in their next year. I think it's fair to say that this thread was started too early. I'd bet that the fact that Rory was already in his fourth year as a professional had a lot to do with it. It'd be like having a "Tiger is Overrated" thread after the 1996 season. If 2010 was Rory's rookie year, he would have won RotY easily.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saying Rory is overrated is just as silly as saying he's the greatest golfer of all time. It was strange seeing him struggle so hard today and he's going to miss the cut. Not the best performances at the Honda. But he's got supreme talent and will rise after being humbled and cut..

• Administrator

Tiger didn't MC very much when he was #1 in the world.

Check this out: https://twitter.com/GolfEvolution/status/571026121107628032

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger didn't MC very much when he was #1 in the world. Check this out: [URL=https://twitter.com/GolfEvolution/status/571026121107628032]https://twitter.com/GolfEvolution/status/571026121107628032[/URL]

That's because the depth and strenght of today's field is stronger ;-) j/k

~Jorrit

Not the best performances at the Honda. But he's got supreme talent and will rise after being humbled and cut..

Humbled?

You think missing a cut humbles McIlroy?

He missed a cut. He has not been humbled.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The biggest difference between them in my opinion is that in his pomp Tiger had beaten the field before the first ball was hit. His aura and swagger meant he just had to turn up. It was very similar to Phil Taylor in the darts world, they always expected to win. The other players during Tiger's golden era were very good players but occasionally you get somebody who dominates, not just with greater ability but with a mental strength and inner belief that cannot be taught. Rory is very good and always has been but not great yet.........we will have to wait and see....which is why we love sport!

Matt

Humbled? You think missing a cut humbles McIlroy? He missed a cut. He has not been humbled.

Yes. I certainly think when the #1 world ranked golfer misses a cut, it's humbling. But as I said he'll bounce back just fine. Shorty, Ive been looking at many members swings in the swing thread. Can't seem to find yours. You have a link? Wanted to check it out.

^^^ How is that on topic? If you really care about his swing, PM him. Otherwise it's just a passive aggressive dig.

Agreed. No need to bait people.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

[quote name="Shorty" url="/t/41366/rory-mcilroy-is-overrated/270#post_1110131"]Humbled? You think missing a cut humbles McIlroy? He missed a cut. He has not been humbled.

Yes. I certainly think when the #1 world ranked golfer misses a cut, it's humbling. But as I said he'll bounce back just fine. Shorty, Ive been looking at many members swings in the swing thread. Can't seem to find yours. You have a link? Wanted to check it out.[/quote]What does shorty's swing have to do with McIlroy?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I'm just curious to see Shortys swing, that's all and he is suddenly very quiet. I did send a personal message too.

Because I didn't respond to a message in the middle of the night? Not everyone is glued to a computer, you know.

What is the point you are trying to make?

Are you offended because I think that McIlroy is not going to be concerned about missing a cut, whilst you think he he has been humbled?

My understanding of the swing thread concept is that people create swing threads because they seek feedback from some of the instructors on the site.

A quick search will show that I have not done this. I come here to discuss golf, not to have my swing analysed. Don't pretend you are asking something innocently when you'e not. You can use the search function. One thing I cannot abide is disingenuousness and insincerity.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

[SPOILER=OT][quote name="Shorty" url="/t/41366/rory-mcilroy-is-overrated/300#post_1110492"]Because I didn't respond to a message in the middle of the night? Not everyone is glued to a computer, you know. What is the point you are trying to make? Are you offended because I think that McIlroy is not going to be concerned about missing a cut, whilst you think he he has been humbled? My understanding of the swing thread concept is that people create swing threads because they seek feedback from some of the instructors on the site. A quick search will show that I have not done this. I come here to discuss golf, not to have my swing analysed. Don't pretend you are asking something innocently when you'e not. You can use the search function. One thing I cannot abide is disingenuousness and insincerity. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/115138/] [/URL] [/quote] Wow. Ok friend, I was only asking where your swing thread was. Wanted to see it. Not sure why you're offended? For someone who is mean spirited, posted over 4000 times and declares he's a 2 handicap..... I think I understand now. You're one of "those guys" It's ok, but you you could be a bit friendlier for an "internet scratch golfer". Can you say "block button"?[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER=OT][quote name="Torres9" url="/t/41366/rory-mcilroy-is-overrated/288#post_1110581"] Wow.[/quote] Why are you still talking about this? It was never on topic.[/SPOILER] :offtopic:

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.