IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

Rory McIlroy won the Wells Fargo Championship by seven strokes, setting a new tournament record score of 267.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• 1 year later...

Whoa! It's been awhile, a full year to be exact. Rory has notched two Euro wins (DP CHAMPIONSHIP AND IRISH OPEN) since the Wells Fargo last year, none on the PGA Tour but he's in good form after the Irish Open. He's now up to 20 professional wins.

Rory_McIlroy_DP_t780.jpg

irish open.jpg

• Upvote 1

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

On May 10, 2015 at 1:21 PM, sas6789 said:

If Rory could putt more consistently it's almost terrifying how good he'd be.

If he could only three putt every green he would have won 20 majors!

Edited by Groucho Valentine

4 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

If he could only three putt every green he would have won 20 majors!

I know the comment is intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I honestly didn't get the joke.

Rory is consistently top 3 in the last 5 years. Not over-rated. Courageous young fella. Impressive resume already. Work to be done to be top 10 of all time.   

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I know the comment is intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I honestly didn't get the joke.

Rory is consistently top 3 in the last 5 years. Not over-rated. Courageous young fella. Impressive resume already. Work to be done to be top 10 of all time.   

Well..allow me to enlighten you friend. 

Behold the glory. BOOOM!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Behold the glory. BOOOM!

Ha ha ha..

In my defense I think it was a very heavily veiled reference.

Vishal S.

8 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

I want a HammerX so much right now.

LOL! My buddy fell for it and bought one. I tried it out on the course, hit it dead, solid perfect, and bombed it a mile! But there was absolutely no forgiveness in the club. He got so frustrated with it that he tossed in the open bed of a pickup at some golf course as he was leaving!

On May 31, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

LOL! My buddy fell for it and bought one. I tried it out on the course, hit it dead, solid perfect, and bombed it a mile! But there was absolutely no forgiveness in the club. He got so frustrated with it that he tossed in the open bed of a pickup at some golf course as he was leaving!

I bet your buddy forgot to yell on the follow through like in the video.  This is the key to consistent drives.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Dustin Johnson's U.S. Open victory, Rory McIlroy is outside of the top three in the Official World Golf Ranking for the first time since the 2014 Open Championship.

So, yeah, he's totally overrated. Again.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Dunno how accurate this is, but Stephanie Wei has some secret tour pro who texted her before the tourney that Rory is the worse course manager on tour and never had a chance at Oakmont.  She tweeted it on Fri.  Who knows but...

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Dunno how accurate this is, but Stephanie Wei has some secret tour pro who texted her before the tourney that Rory is the worse course manager on tour and never had a chance at Oakmont.  She tweeted it on Fri.  Who knows but...

There's a nugget of truth to that; Rory does not have a great track record at majors where par is a good score, compared to majors where players have had opportunities to score low.

Here are his scores to par in all of his top-five finishes in majors: -3 (T-3rd), -8 (T-3rd), -10 (T-3rd), -16 (won), -13 (won), -17 (won), -16 (won), -12 (4th).

In comparison, his results in majors where the winning score was -5 or less: T10, T47, MC, T25, MC, T41, MC, T23, T10, MC. Four missed cuts, no finishes better than tenth.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

On 05/31/2016 at 2:09 PM, Groucho Valentine said:

Behold the glory. BOOOM!

The Monster truck announcer that lays it on so thick.... Anyone that actually called and ordered these should be ashamed.

Rory is phenomenal occasionally, depending on what carrot is in front of his nose. Too complacent most of the time. Seems to lack the need to win.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

9 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Rory is phenomenal occasionally, depending on what carrot is in front of his nose. Too complacent most of the time. Seems to lack the need to win.

You're totally wrong here. He is not winning because he is engaged again. Dump this one and BOOM!, four more majors.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

You're totally wrong here. He is not winning because he is engaged again. Dump this one and BOOM!, four more majors.

I have to agree here, hence the "too complacent" comment. He's more concerned about stationary and such...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

9 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

There's a nugget of truth to that; Rory does not have a great track record at majors where par is a good score, compared to majors where players have had opportunities to score low.

Here are his scores to par in all of his top-five finishes in majors: -3 (T-3rd), -8 (T-3rd), -10 (T-3rd), -16 (won), -13 (won), -17 (won), -16 (won), -12 (4th).

In comparison, his results in majors where the winning score was -5 or less: T10, T47, MC, T25, MC, T41, MC, T23, T10, MC. Four missed cuts, no finishes better than tenth.

Bingo. Great points. Put a fast track and tough course in front of him and watch him miss the cut (or struggle). Wind seems to bring him to his knees occassionally, too. Rory likes to throw darts at pins and he's one of the worst among the top players in the game when it comes to putts under 10 feet....which is what you have a lot of on fast greens. Oakmont may have been softer Thursday and Friday, but it was still faster than most places.

We'll see how he does at Troon. They've had a wet and cold summer there so far from what I've heard, so it definitely will suit him more. I expect him to contend and possibly win. If he doesn't, then I may start re-assessing my opinion of his game.

Edited by ChrisP