IGNORED

Rory McIlroy Topic (Was "Overrated")

senorchipotle

how can you say that, you dont know how much/little he will improve, he's only 21

How can people say that he's going to win 10 majors?

How do you know he won't get injured/burned out in the next couple of years. He's only won 2 tournaments in the past 4 years (including 2010) as a pro. other golfers have done better

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

He's only won 2 tournaments in the past 4 years (including 2010) as a pro.

I think that's a little harsh.

After all, he's only been a pro for just over three years (September 2007). But yes, other golfers have done better in the same time-period, such as Lee Westwood (current World No 1) who had to win the season-ending Dubai World Championship in order to deny Rory the Order of Merit championship - in his second full season as a pro. Also Martin Kaymer, the PGA Champion - but then, he is four years older than McIlroy and has that much more experience. Will he win 10 Majors? Heck, I dunno. I think he has the talent to do it but that isn't always a firm guide - other people play out of their socks, you have a duff final round, maybe infringe some Rule or other (hey, Dustin!) and don't get what your talent says you deserve. He is also likely to have a heck of a lot of competition, from Ryo Ishikawa and Matteo Manassero, to name but two. Make that three, with Rickie Fowler. Four with Kaymer. Maybe more - but the point is, we kinda know the young guns will step up to the plate; he won't have it all his own way. If he makes 10 he will, without a doubt, go down as one of the best-ever. But we shall see. He's only 21.

I hope so too although I don't think Rory will accomplish what is already expected of him. I also hope G-Mac does more great things, and I expect he probably will. It's kind of odd but I really like the golfers from the Belfast area, and add Feherty to Rory and Graeme as sort of a Northern Ireland Three Muskateers. I'm not sure why I like the golfers from Belfast so much, aside from having been to that city on business quite a few times - maybe drinking in the downtown pubs there that still have some bullet holes in the walls helps create such an affinity. Or maybe it's just Feherty's humor.

eh.....rory is from Down so is feherty, mcdowells from portrush not Belfast, and as Ive said Ive never seen such a streak of play on such an important time of a tournament......ever

eh.....rory is from Down so is feherty, mcdowells from portrush not Belfast, and as Ive said Ive never seen such a streak of play on such an important time of a tournament......ever

Gmac's accent causes amusement over here. I hear that at the Ryder Cup, he was being interviewed and the interview was relayed to the crowd and after he started speaking, one wag with a Team Europe cap on started cheering "USA! USA!" and even Gmac had to smile.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

...and as Ive said Ive never seen such a streak of play on such an important time of a tournament......ever

Are you talking about GMcD or Rory?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How can people say that he's going to win 10 majors?

im not saying he will, im just saying how can you say that he definitely wont?

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

im not saying he will, im just saying how can you say that he definitely wont?

There's not much that is guaranteed to happen or guaranteed not to happen.

but there are odds. and if I was a bookmaker I would put the odds of Mcllroy getting 10 majors pretty high. He hasn't even won a major yet, once he starts racking up a few wins then people can make assumptions.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Overrated?

His first round 63 in the Honk Kong doesn't say so...........

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

and his swing gives me a boner

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Rory had a poor season but still won a big event and had 2 top 3s in majors. He seems to be coming back into form recently and is doing well this week. Big 2011 for him coming up IMO

• 6 months later...

I would just like to say (gloat) that this was my first ever post on this forum

Originally Posted by deasy55

Rory had a poor season but still won a big event and had 2 top 3s in majors. He seems to be coming back into form recently and is doing well this week. Big 2011 for him coming up IMO

• Upvote 1

This was mine in this thread:

Originally Posted by soloredd

Overrated? So this is what sports has become. At 21-years old, if you haven't won two majors or two world championships or two Heisman trophies you are overrated. Wow. How about we give the kid a few years to adjust to everything before we start chopping his legs out from under him, huh?

McIlroy, Ishikawa, Fowler, Mannassero, Molinari brothers, AK, etc. I think we should just sit back and enjoy what these kids bring to the Tour and quit trying to find the next Tiger or Jack. It's the same thing in the NBA. For 10 years people have been trying to find the next Michael Jordan. Quickly, we've missed out on some great players that have come through. A shame.

For once, I agreed with what Brandle Chamblee said tonight after the tournament: Europe hasn't found another Seve, it's found it's own Rory.

I also for once agreed with Johnny Miller in that in remains to be seen if Rory has that desire to be a legend. I mean, he stormed away with this one but I want to see what happens when he's either tied or trailing by 2 shots. He's not going to win majors by 8 strokes again. We've seen him crumble before when things got tight - has he truly learned from his past experiences? Time will tell. Great kid, I'm pulling for him big time.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Mcilroy has the best swing I've seen in all my years, but the question is can he play with it for a long time period.  He is one of those who should not be messed with.  And, as he ages, the question will be can he continue to swing as he now does.  If so, he will be a legend.  Too many change their pursuit of simply winning or hitting great shots to some semi-magical objective of developing a better (mythical) swing that will enable them to hit perfect shots every time.  That will never happen.  The key is a swing that will produce the result one wants when the feeling of exactly what you want to do comes into your mind, and you can execute the shot without thinking about something you are "working upon."  It will not always turn out as you want but if you can do it more than the next best player, you will dominate.  Golf is a mental game.  I say that yet I am about as technical about the swing as anyone I know.  Knowledge of what you want to do is good, but seeking swing perfection and changing all the time will not work.  JMHO.

To me it looks like Rory sees his shot expectation, steps right into position and hits the shot.  He has kept it simple so far.  We used to know another young and great golfer like that named Tiger.  Tiger's B game could win a lot of the time.  Somehow that was not enough for him.

RC