IGNORED

Golf set for my 65 year old dad!

Colding
Note: This thread is 4891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everybody!

My dad is turning 65 next month and I am considering getting him a new golf set.

The question is what should i get him?

He plays around 32 hcp. His swing and swing speed is actually ok, his main problem is that his strike is not consistent often causing him to top the ball or hit it very strange.

Therefore i want to give him some easyplaying irons so he can enjoy golf. Since he stills works he does not have time to play more than 1 time a week.

Now he got an old cobra set with graphite shafts.

I am wondering if he should stick to graphite or he is better suited with some 'soft' iron shafts.

Inputs would be appreciated.

I know you asked about club models, but...

any chance you could get him a lesson before new clubs? Getting the right clubs is important, but they won't help much if Dad has a chronic swing flaw. We're not talking about getting Dad ready for the amateur tour... just seeing if a swing tweak might improve his ball contact, make it more consistent.

Then, get new clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As WUTiger said, lessons would be a good idea.

But if he does want new clubs, look at graphite, and look at hybrids. My dad just turned 60 and for his birthday he bought himself an Adams Pro Black hybrid. It might be a tour design, but he pounds the thing. My dad is also playing with 20-30 year old Mizuno Altrons, and he is looking to replace them with some graphite shafted Mizuno MX 200s (or something like that). For reference, he doesn't have a handicap but he plays about 5 times a year and is a low to mid 80s shooter.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hehe yeah I am aware that he might need teaching more than gear, but his swing actually seems ok to me, the problem is that he is not consistent enough, he sorts of forgets the ballstriking feel a little i would say.

Anyways i do not have a price range i am willing to pay the money to get him the best suitable gear due to him turning 65. For me its more about giving him a cool gift rather than doing the most logical thing to improve his golf. He is going to retire soon and thus have a lot more time to play golf.

Jamo its impressive that your dads shoots low to mid 80 with 5 golf times a year!:)

I will try to look into some graphite mizuno mx 200 or some callaway diablo i think :)

Note: This thread is 4891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!