IGNORED

Finally the owner of a Scotty!

andef
Note: This thread is 4859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I think this thread is more about sharing the awesome day I had yesterday but I have a few questions that Scotty owners can answer. Basically, a few weeks ago I sent out invites for my birthday party and my golf buddy, joking around, suggested that he would get a bunch of people together and buy me a Scotty.
I didn't think much of what he said until last night, when he gets to my place and gives me a card. On it a picture of a Scotty, wishing me good luck in getting into a golf program at the University of Birmingham and the hope that I will stop complaining about the looks of my putter now that I have a blade. It's extremely difficult to describe how ecstatic I am at the moment. Unfortunately, the putter is being shipped to where I live but should get here sometime next week. I'm still shocked at present though!

Now after this long story, I'd like to ask a few questions about the club.
Seeing as I've never had the chance to putt with one, how different will the feel be to an insert putter like the one in my sig?
Does it take a long time to get adjusted to it? Just recently, unfortunately at the end of the season, my putting had started to come around and I was doing quite well and I want to make sure that switching putters won't be a step backwards.

Thanks for the help,
andef

P.S. It's a Studio Select Newport 2 :)

I also just got that same putter this summer. It's not gonna be as soft as the insert one but it will give you better feedback. Sometimes with an insert you can hit them short alot and also blast one long. With the scotty I'm pretty good with my distance but I can cook one by it I hit it pure. I've played around with a few grips since I like a big grip. I'm trying a smaller one (still bigger than stock) a tiger shark girp right now. I just took of the winn jumbo that was on there cuz it had little feedback when struck. This putter will be a success if you trust and believe in it. As long as you like looking over it then you will do well with it. Everytime you go to pull it out of your bag you will know you got a chance. It's not the club if you miss a putt. And that information can really help in a round. Nothing worse than a club that you don't think can hit a shot. Your freinds got you a putter that will give you a chance. To me that's all I can ask for.

I know what you mean. I just got a Scotty Pro Platinum off ebay for $75, and I plan on having it refinished. After the cost of the new grip, refinishing, and the headcover that wasn't included I probably won't be saving all that much money but I love the look of the old Pro Platinums as opposed to the Studio Selects....

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

I got the Studio Select Newport towards the end of this year. Still going through the "adjustment" period. I love the look and feel of it though. I just need to spend the time on the putting green getting familiar with it. I have been researching the best putting drills and I plan to use the remainder of whatever good weather we may have here to practice with it.

I am also thinking of sending it in to the Custom Shop for some alignment aids over the winter.

Good luck with it though, it is a GREAT club!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Dentman just said about everything I was going to. When I switched to a Pro Platinum from a White Hot Rossie, it took me (personally) 3 months to get completely used to it and have full confidence. At the start it felt much different looking down on a putter that was a blade, and also had a plumbers neck on it. But now, I have no complaints and I love the switch.

I think that you should go out to the putting green as much as possible, even if it is indoors. I would also reccommend keeping your old Sabertooth for a while, just in case the Scotty isn't your friend for whatever reason. You should make sure it is the perfect length for you and that you put a nice grip on it, and then you shall be in business. (try a midsize grip- i was suprised how much I liked it)

Best of luck.

Whats in my 14 Way Stand Bag?? Just...
taylormade.gif Superfast TP 8.5* Matrix HD6 Stiff
taylormade.gif '07 Burner 5 wood 18* Snr. 50g
titleist.gif 710 AP2 3-PW w/ Dy. Gold S300
taylormade.gif Z TP 52* 8* stock wedgeflexscratch.gif 8620 56* with D/S grindcallaway.gif 2009 Forged X-Tour 60* 10* bounce stock wedgeflexcameron.gif Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5, 32.5inches

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I figured it would take a while to get used to it but I have at least 4 months before the start of the season and with a practice putting green at home I hope to get used to it come spring time. I'm unsure about the grip, I really like the soft tacky ones (Winn style) my putter came with so I might have to change that.

congrats on your putter
i recently am back on the Scotty train from an Odyssye white hot #9

definatly a different feel but i felt the white hots were the firmest inserts

you will get used to it, i found w a milled face putter my distance control is much better

all in all a great present and cool of your friends to do that for you

good luck w it and post pics when you get it
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Great putter you got there. Enjoy it man.

Check out Geoff Mangum's e-book "Optimal Putting" if you have a serious desire to learn more about putting.

You can get it on his site Puttingzone and a guy on Ebay from South Dakota sells it also. $10 and some 250 pages of detailed info.

The hard copy is $200+ if you find it. Printed and sold out in 2008.

-Dan

You're right enis, I'm glad my friends care that much to buy me a Scotty. I'm really looking forward to getting it. Funny thing, I wasn't really interested in getting a Scotty anymore cuz I figured that after spending 2K on my clubs my dad would wait until I turned stratch to get me the bladed putter I was looking for. I'm truly shocked!
Dan, thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a great book and I will look into getting it, I feel like my putting held me back from being around a 3/4. I give myself way too many birdie opportunities and keep missing them. Lately, my putts have gone down to about 30 per round while they used to be around 34 a few months back.

Congrats on the new present, sounds like you've got some friends to be thankful for!

Moving from a mallet to a blade is a big change, even more given your current putter. I really hope you enjoy that new putter, post back with pictures and thoughts!

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Thanks delav. I can't wait for it to get here. It'll be a pretty big change but I started playing with a "bladish" Wilson putter which had no insert. Obviously it's impossible to compare it to the SC.
I think the main advantage of my current putter is its forgiveness but I seem to hit the center of the clubface very often so I'm not really worried about that.
I'm also starting to realize that I'm a complete Titleist / Acushnet fan cuz all the clubs in my bag are Titleist and shoes / gloves are Footjoy. I should be ashamed.

Welcome to the club!!!! I don't think you will miss the insert at all. You'll enjoy the well balanced, solid feel, and good feedback from this putter. Make em all!

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Jealous.

I'd love a Scotty but can't bite the bullet on a club that I get no discount on and is $250+. Maybe some day someone will trade a nice barely used Scotty for me

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Thanks guys. Got the putter a few minutes ago. At the moment it's sitting in my locker at school. Will post an update when I get home and manage to take a few putts with it.

Interesting that you call a Newport 2 a "blade" putter. Care to elaborate??

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I know what you mean. I just got a Scotty Pro Platinum off ebay for $75, and I plan on having it refinished. After the cost of the new grip, refinishing, and the headcover that wasn't included I probably won't be saving all that much money but I love the look of the old Pro Platinums as opposed to the Studio Selects....

I did the same thing... in the end it cost me almost as much as a new Scotty, but that's essentially what I ended up with and it's customized. I like it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would agree because I would say a blade putter is like my Yes Sophia or a Wilson Staff 8802

I apologize for using the wrong term there. I guess I meant more of an Anser Style look. I used the term blade as the look of this putter is much more traditional than my Sabertooth.

Finally got a chance to hit it a couple of times and I'm quite happy with it. As I expected, the feel off the face is quite different but I like this more than the soft feel of the Odyssey. I seem to be rolling it pretty good at the moment even though I'm practicing 10 footers on an artificial grass putting green. Will put up some pics when I get my camera back from my sister although there's nothing fancy about it. It's a standard, off the shelf, SC.

Note: This thread is 4859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!