IGNORED

how to hit my 3,4,5 irons

andy-golf
Note: This thread is 4893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hitting a long iron is truly a majestic thing. A long, high 3 iron that drops and stops is a beautiful thing. I love those days when my long irons just tear the sky. Watching them fly off into the sunset is really an amazing thing. I would say one in 100 golfers worldwide hits the ball properly or near to it on most shots. For me, I can go for weeks, sometimes months, without hitting a ball properly. To truly hit one the right way is to understand it. When you make a swing that's on plane, and with sufficient lag, you will feel something altogether different than you're used to. The impact feels so soft, and so free of friction, like the grass were made from cotton candy. That's truly an amazing feeling.

For me, I was well into the single digits before I ever struck a ball properly. Now, I go into and out of phases of it, getting a bit closer each time. Therein lies the interesting thing. In golf, you never really understand the next step. What you perceive now as solid, even pure contact will change. For shots that some golfers would be happy with, I'm banging my club into the ground. Tiger does the same thing, for even lesser mistakes, with shots I'd be pleased with. When you realize how long the road is, and how many speed bumps there are, you begin to appreciate golf a lot more. What's amazing, the acceleration after each speed bump just keeps getting better.

Probably one of my greatest shots ever personally was with my 3 hybrid. Was playing the 14th hole at Greenview in Centralia I think somewhere around the 4th of July this year. Its a 416 yard par 4. Hit a weak slice tee shot with my driver into the right rough, had roughly about 210 to the center of the green. Pulled out my 3 hybrid and hit a very high, beautifully struck shot that didnt seem like it was ever going to come down. Landed softly about 15 ft behind the hole on the green, farthest away ive ever hit the green on an approach shot. If only I could have finished it off by sinking the birdie putt but left it inches short for a tap-in par. Everything was just perfect on that swing. It is a beautiful thing when everything comes together for one moment and you do the best you can possibly do. Keeps you striving to keep playing when things dont go so well because you think back at the moment and know in your heart that I can do this.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Tiger does the same thing, for even lesser mistakes, with shots I'd be pleased with.

I must admit I do get jealous when I see Tiger dropping f bombs for hitting the wrong corner of the green on a 200+ yard par 3.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm jealous of whatever pain meds Shanks is on right now. Reads like seriously good shit.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A secret of long iron play is to hit a lot more range balls with long irons. I think the majority of my practice time is with my 3, 4, or 5 irons, and usually I start out hitting my 6 iron after stretching and a few practice swings, then go straight to long irons. Short irons come last, after a few drives and a 3 wood or two off the deck. Once you get this type of warm-up practice down, hitting a long iron is really not much different than a wedge or nine iron -- just a another routine shot. A fine tour player once advised me to hit mostly long and mid irons warming up, and that he practiced his 4 through 6 iron to groove his iron game.

RC

hi im only playing golf about 1 month im a good driver,good off my wedges.but when it comes to my 3,4,5 irons im not connecting with the ball as much as i would like any tips

Since your only a beginner Andy-golf, the 3 4 5 iron should be the last thing you should be practicing.

You should be trying to play bogie golf. I'll give you an example , if you have 200 yards left to the green you don't reach for your hard to hit 3 iron, chances of hitting the green are miniscule , chances of hitting a scutter ball, or knocking it into the threes, leaving you with a much harder third shot are huge. What you should do is take out your easy to hit wedge hit it 100 yards to the middle of the fairway and hit it another 100 to the green, your long iron play will develop over time with practice. Any body telling you it's easy to hit long irons , well you will find they have low handicaps! And any high handicap golfers telling you they are easy to hit, well why are their handicaps so high if they can hit their long irons ????????? If ya live in Dublin Andy-golf send me a pm and I'll take you out for a round when the weather breaks.

Note: This thread is 4893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!