IGNORED

Intimidation

kennay92
Note: This thread is 4859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that I think about it, I too notice more when on the range.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the irony of the "it doesn't matter what clubs you play, I never look, who cares, etc" posts, followed by signatures describing every stick in ther bag - manufacturer, club, even SHAFT flex for crying out loud. Why not post the brand of grip too? (laughing in amusement, not malicious in any way, as my avatar promotes SC putters) Anyone have 1 3/4 wraps of tape on the grip of the hybrids, changing the swingweight a half point, as well as 13.4024 grams of lead tape on the toe of the backup driver? If so, get it in your sig now!!

yeah, i got so tired of the clutter on this site from everyones "whats in my bag" crap that i disabled that function. looks much cleaner now without that. took off avatars also.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess you could look at this both ways
One of the best golfers in Sask. is a member at my old course
Has a staff bag, big wheel push cart, a GPS attached to his cart, all Titleist gear (all the latest as well) blah blah blah....

you know what...dude is a +3 and an amazing golfer as well on staff w Titleist (pretty good for an amateur, right?)

but then there is also a BUNCH of dudes with staff bags, big wheel push carts and range from 10-25 index's
As mentioned before, i tend to watch for the guy w the carry bag, usually dressed decent (not always) and then watch the swing

One morning I joined up w some members i dont know
they wanted to play a small skins match and i said sure
they looked right at my bag, saw my Titleist 735.cm's (combo set w blades from 8-PW) and asked my index
i sorta smiled and said "i shoot in the low 80's or so"....they didnt buy it for one second
their reply was "no one w Titleist blades shoots in the low 80's"...........but i guess we will see

i shot 72 that day and took all their money.....none of them broke 80 and a few of them you could tell were decent low index playes, that didnt bring their A game
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I'm usually curious about what other people are playing, although I don't snoop in their bags. Mostly what I see is pretty good gear and I would have to intimidated all the time if it was from their clubs. I'm not one of those who care about "blades vs gi", I've seen too many playing all over the course with either.

Depends....if someone is walking the course with me, I'll usually check their clubs out.....walking seems to breed more spare time and with a push cart/clubs right in front of you, it's hard not to notice.....typically, if everyone else is riding, then I am rarely close to their bag anyway.....if I ride with someone, I might glance at their bag.....just depends on the day, no biggie.....some guys love thier clubs and like to talk about them or their swing, so I'm happy to look and listen....others like to talk about strippers, and I'm ok with that too

I'm intimidated by the guy who stands up on the first box and smooths it out 275 down the middle. Especially if he took a three iron.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I'm intimidated by the guy who stands up on the first box and smooths it out 275 down the middle. Especially if he took a three iron.

exactly.....

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

. . . attaching your entire bag, even shaft flex to

I didn't realize we had the option of leaving it out. Just noticed the toggle on the bottom left.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The two things that intimidate me, or more accurately that tell me I have no chance under the sun of playing at someone else's level, are the dark spots on the irons and the ease of the swing.

Seeing a bag of perfectly-matched clubs puts my mind at ease a little since I have yet to personally meet a very good player with a perfectly matching bag of clubs. Seeing a bag of old clubs with one brand new one worries me because when I see it it's usually a guy who had his precious, well-performing set of sticks that he couldn't part with but recently he found a wood/hybrid even more awesome than his previous one so he picked it up and now is just that much better for it.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Same criteria I use - unfortunately by that criteria, nobody is ever intimidated by my gear (i.e. ever!).

By that criteria no one will ever be itimidated by my gear. That is why I can play all this old stuff-it has never been hit hard enough or frequently enough on the same spot to wear it out!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I didn't realize we had the option of leaving it out. Just noticed the toggle on the bottom left.

Aww, there goes my vintage blade o' the month fix.

I don't care what people are playing on the course, but I quite like seeing what you guys are bagging here.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I enjoy looking at what other people are playing, but don't really get any assumptions from it.

I've had people say to me on the first tee that I must be good since I'm walking and playing forged irons. I chuckled and proceeded to prove them wrong.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I play the course, some courses can be intimidating, not another golfer.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

One morning I joined up w some members i dont know

So what you are saying is you lied about your handicap, which means you are a sand bagger, you took their money and were happy about it! I know what you are going to say, but when you state you shoot in the low 80's that means you are around a 8 handicap. Now unless your home course is Beth Page Black that you play from the tips everyday I can understand the whole low 80's thing... But you mislead those gentlemen and essentially robbed them. I hope you are happy with yourself but you just removed yourself from the one thing golf is founded on, integrity!

But back on topic, I play a set Callaway X 20 Tours and I get asked all the time why I play a semi game improvement iron. The answer is because I have them weight, pured and know where they are going. Sure there are times when I don't feel the "feel" from those irons but I will sacrifice a little for accuracy... I can work the ball almost anyway I want so why would I change it is what I ask them...

Other than wear on the sweet spot, what would possibly intimidate you - in the sense that might prevent you from playing for money?

For me it's the following:

- a well worn PING hoofer bag.
- a brand new driver and a 30 year old putter
- new grips and/or aftermarket shafts on the long irons

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

With a rather interesting discussion on equipment going on in another thread it got me thinking about different parts of the repertoire of a golfer.

Anyone else get discouraged when they're paired up and realize their new partner is wearing 5 year old tennis sneakers on the tee?

Also do people who show up with a Titleist hat, FJ windbreaker and J Lindberg pants and belt command more respect around the course. Since it is so easy to look the part of a great golfer is it no longer worth paying attention to?

Go Boilers Tonight!
taylormade.gif -- > R9 9.5* Fujikura Motore F1 -- > R9 15* Fujikura Motore ][ callaway.gif -- > X-20 Steel 3-PW ][ cleveland.gif -- > CG-14 Black Pearl 60*
titleist.gif -- > Spin Milled 56* , 52* -- > Studio Select Newport 2- -- > Pro-V1 ][ BBGPSGOLF for GPS on my Blackberry
Home Course: http://whitneyfarmsgc.com/ Connecticut

to me its kind of a toss up. I prefer to play with people who have decent clubs. Most of the guys that I get paired up with who have crap clubs usually arent very good and usually the guys with nice clubs take the game more serious like me, which is better to play with during a round. Ive been fooled a few times when Ive had a guy with sweet clubs and a golf outfit on joining us when I thought they would be really good but he has a wicked slice and shoots in the upper 80s but they love the game.

Note: This thread is 4859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!