IGNORED

Too much instruction?

Billy33
Note: This thread is 4885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get golf lessions about once every week or two, but I can't help but watch the golf channel and the lessions they give. Do you think by watching the golf channel's instructional stuff is bad for my game due to getting lessions somewhere else. I am wondering because not everyone does things the same. Thanks

What's in my bag
SQ driver 9.5 degree
VR Irons 4-AW
White Ice #1
3 hybrid pro v1

Wasn't sure if this was going to be a rant about "too much instruction" or an ode "to much instruction".

I'd say focus on the face to face lessons and watch TGC for entertainment.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Depends what you pick up and how you process the information. I read and watch a lot of instruction, but that doesn't mean I pick up on all of it. It's really about what you want to believe and trust. I've made up my mind on a lot of things, how the swing work and what I should work on. So reading or watching a tip on how to do the opposite doesn't affect me when working on it. I quickly discard a lot of the tips and drills because I don't believe they are correct.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stick to the live instruction and if you watch TGC recognize that what they are teaching may not apply to you or even what you are working on. TGC has some really good stuff, but if I applied everything that I learned on the 12 Days segments, I probably couldn't hit a ball. Gary Player gave the best tip...don't be a victim of paralysis by analysis.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I find face-to-face with video analysis is the best way to build the swing.

Also, lessons/swing tips without practice are a losing plan (your lessons "once every week or two..."). You need time to practice the swing improvements and use them during play. I don't get much from a lesson if a don't go out and practice a couple of times in the days immediately following the lesson. I won't schedule a lesson if I can't work in some practice time later that week.

Danger of watching TGC or picking swing fixes up from the golf mags: This tidbids may have you doing things which conflict with the swing triggers your pro is developing for you. In fact, beginners who are taking lessons should probably stay away from this ST Instruction forum until their swing starts to stabilize.

Swing tips that involve shot strategy or specialty shots sometimes help me, but I avoid most of the rest.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I stay away from it... not because I get overwhelmed, but mainly because I find it annoying. So much of the stuff out there is just flat out wrong. And if its not wrong there is a really strong chance its a tip expressed in a feeling. Feelings are good and all, but without explaining the reality of what you are attempting to accomplish, it can be very dangerous.

And I'm not saying that taking a lesson from someone would necessarily be drastically different, but at least they have to look at your swing first.

Note: This thread is 4885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!