IGNORED

Average Drive Carry Distance

Big Don
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 members have voted

1. 1. How Far Do You Carry Your Drive?

• Less than 200 yards
    • 200-225 Yards
    • 225-250 Yards
    • 250-275 Yards
    • Over 275 Yards

In my bag I have...
Driver InSight BUL 5000 10.5 S w/ Aldila Speedline
Hybrid Rescue Mid Hybrid 16m degree S
Irons CG4 Irons S 3-PW
Wedges 56 Degree Tom Watson Gunmetal, 60 Degree A10
Putter 34 inch Whit Hot #9 model

I carry the ball about 230 with a lot of spin because of my low shot trajectory, the ball will then roll another 20 yards or so.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My carry tends to be about 260 with 15-20 yards roll out depending on the course and time of year. Have hit quite a few well beyond this but then there is absolutely no guarantee of where the ball is going to go!! can be very entertaining.

Luckily enough being 6"2 i can get some good leverage and distance without having to swing to hard

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

I can carry about 250-260 and then reach about 260-300 with lots of roll.

Im young so i can generate good speed.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I carry 275+ with about 10-12 yds. of roll. That was when I played religiously and had confidence in my driver. Now its the same, but the roll is generally 20 yds. to the right. What a wonderful game, huh?

Oh, Handicap is so high because within 50 yds I am a fish out of water. Practice, Practice, Practice
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

Air carry between 260 and 270 with my driver which is the original Nike SQ 9.5 with the stock stiff shaft. I can get it out there farther if I do a John Daly ankle scratching backswing with a Sergio shoulder turn but I have to turn my head and I can't always remember where I left the ball. This club won't hold up for much of a late release so the swing has to be long and smooth.

I can easily carry my 3 wood, Nike SQ2 15 with stock xstiff shaft, 260 because the shaft is stiff enough to hold during a late release. Needless to say the driver hasn't been used since I got this club.

xstiff pull on order for the driver.

I haven't had time or opportunity to get any kind of fitting. I have tried a few of my friends drivers, but none have a x shaft.

I measure drives based on what the gps tells me I have left to the green. All through high school and college golf we would look for the 150 marker and play for it depending on which side of the fairway we needed to be on. In college the longest guy I knew was my teammate R.W. Eaks, Bob used persimmon back then as I did and had an average carry of 290 to 310 in the early 70's. Bob had and has forearms like Popeye. There is no question that today's equipment has slowed down father time for us old dogs a little bit, but I'm always playing against 30 something pro's and the body types of these guy's today is much different and the training(weight's etc) has taken abilities to new height's. I really enjoy attempting to keep up with them but it's tough, at 55 i'm hanging in there but I've had to try alot of new things to keep up. My latest thing is 2 drivers a 9* and 12*. I move the 9* low and straight and the 12* I bomb to achieve lots of carry. I just played in Vegas Monday and so far so good.....bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

If I get a hold of it with my driver, I can get it out there about 245-250, but that is all too rare. I average about 220, and its all carry.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

crazy replies to these questions!

1 golfer in 25 hits the ball a carry of less than 200 yards? where are you people when i am at the driving range hitting 6 irons past you?

4% cannot carry the ball over 200 yards - crikey!! the standard at the ranges i go to must be awful! next time i am up i will tell them all to give up

k

Personally I can carry a good 285-295 with a roll bringing it to 310. This is with no wind and and off the tee. I think its quite well, I've been practicing only on this aspect of my game other than my tee I'm not too well.

I hit a ball 315 yesterday on a straight par 4 with a strong tail wind no CP or anything. The question I have is how do you see how far it carries? It's real tough for me to see a ball past 290.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

• 3 weeks later...
This thread should have been called best carry ever

Golf Digest: 1 inch off center hit will result in 9% less distance.

So you high handicappers who carry 280 but rarely make fairways would actually carry 305 if you could hit the ball straight, suggesting 127+MPR clubhead spead

Golf Digests study does not account for poor swing (over the top, etc). So taking proper form into account 315-320 (133+MPR) carry would be achievable. Suggesting that you could poke a few drives on center and with good form, 335-350 yards is reasonable when you don't mess up, at least the math would support my theory. If you accomplished this 4 times per round, you would be chipping on for 2 or 3 (par 5)...chip and a 2 put at worst.

As for the rest of the holes
1/2 boggie, up and 2 putts
1/2 double boggie, pitch, chip, 2 puts (or pitch 3 putts, chip 3 putts)

Birdies equal out triples. But since you're a mid handicap as I'll suggest bellow, you would never enter a triple into the computer.

You would literally be chipping on for 2 on 1/3rd of the par 4's in North America; playing from the whites which is your designated tee. You'd also reach a minimum of 50% of the par 5's in 2

You would never shoot worse than a 93, Suggesting an average of about 88 and a handicap (a measure of your best rounds) of around 12.

My conclusion...280 yards carry could never equal a 20 handicap. No one on average is that good with a driver and that bad with a wedge. There are exceptions of course, but this poll suggests that the majority are the exception

Of course I could just be Jealous

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

my course has 14 driveable OB holes. 280 is dangerous.

I've seen plenty of high cappers pull a drive out of their ass then chunk it once or twice to get on the green in 4 or 5. I've seen a guy (19 HC) hit a drive 350 and end up with a 3 putt 5. Most high cappers who are long can't chip or putt. Most high cappers only have one part of their game in play at any one time.... Driver, Irons, Chipping, or Putting. They might put two shots together 3-4 times per round.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

200-225 Yards with my driver right now at a slightly uphill range, and we all know how bad of shape most range balls are in.
In the Bag:
Driver:Exotics XLD 10.5° Standard-Flex
Woods: Acuity Turbo Max
Hybrids: Acuity Turbo Max
Irons: Acuity Turbo MaxWedges: Acuity Turbo MaxPutter: X3 Double Milled 1200Shoes: Walter Hagen Tour StopGlove: Walter Hagen CadetBall:Tiger Shark Attack Life 4 - Distance
WeeT's "home...

I've seen plenty of high cappers pull a drive out of their ass then chunk it once or twice to get on the green in 4 or 5.

But they are not pulling the distance out of their ass on average...

They are not averaging 130+MPR clubhead speed... The average golfer according to Golf Digest cannot carry 200 yards. 4% of those golfers are represented here.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

truer words were never spoken.

Driver: G5 9 Degree w/ Aldila Green Stiff
Irons: i5 Green Dot
Wedge: 588 53 Degree
Balls: NXT Tour

• 1 month later...

I played the par 4 11th at the Marriot at worsley UK in very wet/cold conditions and it plays 293 to the centre of green, pin was at the back and i drove it pin high and the ball stopped next to its pitch mark, so im guessing couple yards shy of 300 carry.... have done 370 at my local course with no elevation or wind, so im guessing that was around 320 carry, my accuracy is pga standard too but my putting is somewhat pathetic, i shot 87 yesterday and made no 1 putters, even made a 3 putt par from about 18ft on the hole i drove the green

Bubba Watson

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910d3 9.5* Stiff Projext X-7A3 Rescue: Taylor Made Burner TP 20* X-stiff 3 Iron: Titleist AP2 Projext X Rifle Irons: Titleist 710mb NS PRO 105T Stiff Wedges Cleveland CG12 60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.07 Cleveland CG14 52* Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio 2.5 (2008) Ball: Titleist Pro-V1

I have a unique golf game, I am 16 and 135 pounds, slim - rediculously flexible- and I can carry the ball about 280 when I'm on and my timing and what not is working, however, when my timing is off im down to about 240-255 yards of carry. My swing relies on timing, i dont have the strength to back up the badly timed swings. Its fun for me to wow people off the tee, but my distance comes and goes.

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!