IGNORED

1st Review Edel Golf Putter Fitting

Note:Β This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The premium in putter fitting technology. A few months ago I had the chance to go to one of the Edel golf custom fitting location. I saw a few advertisements in different golf magazines and decided to try it. If you have the chance to do a fitting, you will be in for some fun. To start they test your alignment. They placed a laser pointer dot on a board about 15 ft away. I set-up like I was putting behind on a ball placed in line with the laser pointer dot. The fitter then removed the ball from in front of the putter. The laser reflected off the putter and back onto the board to find that my alignment was the right of the laser pointer cup I was trying to aim at. We experimented with different putter heads and alignment aids on the putter until I found one that lined up nearly perfectly with the target every time. Next I was asked to putt on a surface, that supposedly 10 times faster than the greens the pga tour plays on. If the stroke on your putt is 1/2 a cm off aim it will roll of the side of the board. We then tested all sorts of putter heads and alignments (like the visual test) until I found the right combination. Then once this was found we made sure I found the right putter combination to pass the stroke and visual tests together.. Not only did I get to be fitted for the perfect putter I also got to engrave my name on my putter for free. Then my specs got sent into David Edel himself, who custom builds the putter, similar to Scotty Cameron. It ended up costing $275 which is pretty high, but I think I'll be set for quite a long time rather than buying a new putter every two years. When I got my putter shipped to me a few weeks after the fitting, I was overwhelmed with the performance. My putts per round started to go down fast, and the feel of the ball coming off the putter was great. So, whoever is interested in buying a new putter, and is willing to drop some cheese should definitely check out Edel golf's website. http://www.edelgolf.com/index.php . Thanks!

R9 10.5 Aldila Voodo Stiff
S9-1 3W Stiff
Baffler 20 Degree
AP2 (3-PW) KBS Stiff
Vokey Design (52,56,60) Redwood

I got fitted for an Edel putter last year and I was so happy with the result. If you want to start making putts now (and can afford the price) go find the closest place that has Edel putter fitting and you won't be disappointed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Here's my putter:Β http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/47143/my-custom-fit-and-built-edel-putter#post_610314 .

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Here's comes the voice of opposition. Personally, I think the whole process of fitting and the purchase is just too much. I understand where the cost comes from, a nice personal fitting session and a hand-made custom putter. But when it boils down to it, you can't buy good putting. No more than you can buy a toned, athletic body, a healthy state of mind, or as The Beatles would say, love.

To me, making putts comes from confidence in your ability and confidence comes from practice, with any putter, I suppose a $300+ would qualify as well. My recommendation for someone that wants to be a better putter, spend some time on the practice green. A lot of time. There have been great putters throughout the ages of golf and for the most part, they've risen to the surface without having to drop a large chunk of cash.

I have a friend who is addicted to changing putters. In all honesty I know he has gone through at least ten putters in two years. His most recent purchase is one of these Edel putters. He got fit and has had it in the bag for about a month now. He told me the whole theory of why it is supposed to work and he seems to like his. I remember when he was putting with a TM Spider and draining everything he looked at! Don't know why he gave that thing up? Again, I believe it all comes back to being confident in what you have in your hand. He lost his confidence on the Spider and has gained some confidence in his Edel.

But, if you have the money, sure, why not give this putter a shot. It is a quality product.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Ben

Personally, I think the whole process of fitting and the purchase is just too much. I understand where the cost comes from, a nice personal fitting session and a hand-made custom putter. But when it boils down to it, you can't buy good putting. No more than you can buy a toned, athletic body, a healthy state of mind, or as The Beatles would say, love.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you're buying "good putting." You are buying a "good putter" that's customized and fit to you. It's a putter that you aim well and can control distance with well.

You still have to step up and make a stroke.

Originally Posted byΒ Ben

To me, making putts comes from confidence in your ability and confidence comes from practice, with any putter, I suppose a $300+ would qualify as well. My recommendation for someone that wants to be a better putter, spend some time on the practice green. A lot of time. There have been great putters throughout the ages of golf and for the most part, they've risen to the surface without having to drop a large chunk of cash.

Spending time on the putting green is important, I agree. A putter is not a magical device, and it's not going to magically fix things.

But Ben, which putter is more likely to result in success: one that your eyes see as "straight at the hole" that's aimed two feet right of the hole from ten feet, or one that your eyes see as "straight at the hole" when it's straight at the hole?

You might not believe it, but people can't aim their putters very well, and that affects the stroke. Generally speaking, people who aim right will really have to try timing the toe release. People who aim left will block/shove the putter.

Tiger Woods aims four degrees right with his Anser style Cameron. That's why he talks about "releasing the toe" so much and why he also struggles to putt well when he's not spending hours per day practicing the timing that requires.

Originally Posted byΒ Ben

I have a friend who is addicted to changing putters. In all honesty I know he has gone throughΒ at leastΒ ten putters in two years. His most recent purchase is one of these Edel putters. He got fit and has had it in the bag for about a month now. He told me the whole theory of why it is supposed to work and he seems to like his. I remember when he was putting with a TM Spider and draining everything he looked at! Don't know why he gave that thing up? Again, I believe it all comes back to being confident in what you have in your hand. He lost his confidence on the Spider and has gained some confidence in his Edel.

I hope he sticks with it.

Look, to me, an Edel fitting simply helps you remove the variables. I think you'd be amazed at how poorly people aim and control distance, and the Edel putter helps with that. If you start pushing putts right, with an Edel, it's not because you're aimed improperly. It's because you have something to work on in your stroke.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I hear you iacas, I do. And yeah, my buddy was telling me about how crazy terrible people are with alignment, stroking the putt all that stuff. And how the Edel system works. I just think there's a different alternative then spending all that money. I was never the greatest putter, from outside 5 feet. There was actually a thread a while back about one's expectations on making certain length putts. You called me out because I didn't believe I'd make every putt no matter the length. Until I took real time to work on my putting I didn't have that belief, but now I do. (Its kinda sick the putts I make now actually.) And what it took [for me] was practice, not a putter designed specifically for my stroke and my eye.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Ben

And what it took [for me] was practice, not a putter designed specifically for my stroke and my eye.

I'm not saying that a putter is all it takes.Β I'm saying that a putter that fits you can make the end goal more achievable by removing variables like "poor aim" and "lousy speed control." Everyone still needs to practice.

See the "Aim Bias" thread for more.

• 10 months later...

I know I am bringing this back from the dead but how does it help with distance control?

Originally Posted by inthecup

I know I am bringing this back from the dead but how does it help with distance control?

They fit you for shaft and other variables. For distance control, If you're fitted inside, they slung a string about 8 feet away and had me make 3 strokes, then backed me up a bit and I took 3 more strokes, etc. It's been three years, but they changed shafts and counterweights until you were consistent in lagging to the string.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

• 4 months later...
I was a one a month putter purchaser. Once I got my Edel putter that stopped. I have gone over a year now without a putter purchase. If I buy another it will be the Edel long putter (DiVecinzo?). My wife estimated I bought 6-8 putters a year (and those were only the ones she knew about ;-)

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

• 5 months later...

Made an appointment today to go down to SDGI and get fit for one... Very excited.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Made an appointment today to go down to SDGI and get fit for one... Very excited.

Awesome ... can't wait to hear all about it!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Why is this thread in the Grill Room?

I don't know ... because Tristan and I were going to discuss his new Edel putter over a couple of beers and rueben sandwiches???

Am I the only one out there who - other than when I start my own thread - doesn't ever notice which forum each thread is in?

Am I the only one out there who - other than when I start my own thread - doesn't ever notice which forum each thread is in?

I browse from the "new posts" section, never the forum, and never notice either.

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

i just was fitΒ for edel in kc ks. at Golf M D.Β i took 3 of my putters in to see ifΒ  i was off with any of them. it was terrible (6 to 12" left), over and over to different holes.Β  i always thought i was lined up. MikeΒ  proved if i ever made a 10' putt it was nothing but luck. he also proved many of my thoughts on my putting were wrong. i went from large mallets to a blade style.Β  its still prob. 3 weeks till i get my putter but now i can really practice my stroke and hopefully make more putts.

Note:Β This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!