IGNORED

Compressing the ball

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 4856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I hear the phrase "compressing the ball," it conjures an image of the ball being squeezed between the club and the ground for an instant before it takes off into the air. Is that right?

I'm asking because that doesn't seem possible. If the energy of impact directed the ball toward the ground initially, where would the energy come from to reverse that initial direction of movement and send the ball into the air 160 yards, say, down the fairway?

It seems the ball should get airborne immediately upon being contacted by the clubface. If that is indeed what happens, what does "compressing the ball" mean? What is it really describing?

• Administrator

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

It is the ball itself warping on impact.

That doesn't answer the question I think he's asking.

The answer to that question is "the ball is immediately sent upward." It is never "squeezed" or "compressed" against the ground - it's merely "compressed" against the clubface which, because it has loft, directs the ball upwards immediately.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought that post #2 answered the question very nicely.  There is no other compression involved - well, other than of some grass/dirt as the divot is sent flying through the air in the case that a divot is taken.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

The ball starts to go up immediately.  If you compressed the ball into the ground, you'd never get out of a bunker on a long bunker shot (when you need to hit the ball first)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Compressing the ball refers more to the feeling you should have in your swing.  You should feel as if you where striking down at the ball, as if trying to pinch it or compress it against the ground.

But the fact of the matter is that the ball never compresses the ground, rather, it rolls a few millimeters up the club face through the grooves while being compressed against the face of the club, then immediately leaving the face of the club up in the air.

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

Note: This thread is 4856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!