IGNORED

New set of Irons for a 20-25 Handicap?

Note: This thread is 4826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One of my friends is looking into buying a new set of irons and he is about a 25 handicap but is improving fast and might get down to a 20 this summer.

Ive mentioned to him to look into the Ping G15s, but should I also have him take a look at the I15s or do you guys think that might be to much club for him at that handicap.

He also mentioned the Titleist AP1s and the Mizuno JPXs.

What clubs should he be looking at?

And if you have other club suggestions they are appreciated!

OGIO Grom Stand Bag:
Driver - Taylormade R7 Limited 9.5*
3Wood - Cleveland Hibore 15*
Hybrid - Cleveland Hibore 19*
Irons - Taylormade R7s 4-GWWedges - Cleveland CG12s Black pearl 54*/12* & 58*/8*Putter - Rife ArubaBack-ups - Karsten Anser / Odyssey White Ice #9Ball - Taylormade Burner TP & LDP...

Originally Posted by Slappy9

One of my friends is looking into buying a new set of irons and he is about a 25 handicap but is improving fast and might get down to a 20 this summer.

Ive mentioned to him to look into the Ping G15s, but should I also have him take a look at the I15s or do you guys think that might be to much club for him at that handicap.

What clubs should he be looking at?

And if you have other club suggestions they are appreciated!

In my humble opinion, I'd go JPX-800 or JPX-800 Pro over AP1. I reviewed both, here for the JPX-800 Pro and here for the Titleist 710 Series AP1 . I thought the AP1s were good, but I never quite got into them the way I did with the Mizunos and other iron sets I own. If he continues to work at his consistency, the JPX-800 Pro would give him a great club to grow into, one that would last him for a very long time. If he'd prefer to err on the side of forgiveness, I'd probably go JPX-800 (not pro).

As for the Ping G15/i15 debate, wish I could help you there, but I've only hit those two at demo days, long enough to have a personal opinion, but not long enough that I'd feel comfortable sharing it. If that makes any sense.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I have Ping G10's and love them...

Bag:sunmountain.gif MPB
Driver: cleveland.gif XLS 10.5 *
Fairway wood:nike.gif SQ DYMO2 3 wood
Irons: ping.gif G10's 4-pw
Wedge: vokey.gif Spin milled 54* and 60*Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot XG

At a 25 handicap should he maybe consider some super game improvement irons like the Taylor Made Burner Super Launch?

Probably depends on how long he has been playing.  If's he's been at it from quite some time maybe the Super GI irons would be up his alley.  If he is a newbie to the sport and is steadily improving then a normal set of GI irons might suit him better

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Originally Posted by erock9174

At a 25 handicap should he maybe consider some super game improvement irons like the Taylor Made Burner Super Launch?

Probably depends on how long he has been playing.  If's he's been at it from quite some time maybe the Super GI irons would be up his alley.  If he is a newbie to the sport and is steadily improving then a normal set of GI irons might suit him better

He has only been playing like 14 months..  I just dont want to tell him to buy clubs that are to much for him to handle, and have to turn around and trade them in for another set..

OGIO Grom Stand Bag:
Driver - Taylormade R7 Limited 9.5*
3Wood - Cleveland Hibore 15*
Hybrid - Cleveland Hibore 19*
Irons - Taylormade R7s 4-GWWedges - Cleveland CG12s Black pearl 54*/12* & 58*/8*Putter - Rife ArubaBack-ups - Karsten Anser / Odyssey White Ice #9Ball - Taylormade Burner TP & LDP...

Callaway X-22's seem like they'd be really easy to hit, although I have only hit a few 6 irons into a net.  I think good deals can be found on these also.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play off 28 and bagged i15s last year (4 - 9 iron).  I'd say that I hit them reasonable well, and certainly no worse than any other iron set that I've tried.

Recently dropped in some G15s for a mixed set as I won't be playing much until the weather improves.

I would honestly say, ignore the hype about "Game Improvement" or "Player's Irons" and have a demo with various sets.  The i15s aren't that hard to strike well, they are still a cavity back design with a chunk of weight around the toe.   Not to mention that the short irons are just so much easier to look at than the G15s.

Should also mention the Callaway X-22s are pretty solid.  Great long irons in that set, short irons are a bit bloated though.

take a look at Adams A4s.  Because the A7s have been out for a while, you can find the A4s for a real bargain.  Most of the Adams sets have hybrids instead of the long irons.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I'll second the Ping G10's.   I've  used them since mid-summer this year and they are great irons.  Long enough, very easy to hit, very forgiving.  I find it easy to fade a ball (righty) and a tad more difficult to draw a ball with these clubs, though I CAN hit a nice draw when needed.  My normal shot is straight on line.  I lowered my handicap about 5 strokes when I bought these clubs, though my old clubs were an inexpensive starter set (Slazenger)  They are quite accurate in distance from shot to shot, so it allowed me to trust the distance of each shot.  I use the G10 4I through 60* wedge (10 clubs).

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

You've suggested some of the best irons on the GI / SGI market so your friend should have plenty of clubs to pick from. Personally, I've hit the i15 once and find them to be extremely forgiving and the head size is also pretty large. Although there is a difference between the G and I series, a fast improving golfer like your friend might now have any trouble playing the i15s.

Make sure he gets a change to try them all, getting custom fit as well as trying them out for a bit before making the final decision.

Clubs don't always perform the same way as when you hit them on the range / launch monitor for the first time.

i'm in about the same boat as  your buddy ... my local pro recommended TM Burner Plus iron set ... have hit them alot at the heated drving range this winter & I can say they hit so much easier & carry farther than my old blades.    Some great deals on eBay - way better than you will find locally (speaking for myself)...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Consider Perimerter weighted forged irons.  There are TONS of models out there, and a fantastic deal can be had on a used set.  The forged club will give him great feedback on solid shots, and even more valuable feedback on mis-hits, even slight ones.

Spend $200 on a good used set, then have money left over for a re-grip, and tons of golf in the Spring, maybe a lesson or two, a new wedge, etc.   and he still has not spent the $500+ that some clubs mentioned above would cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Staff-RM-Midsize-Forged-iron-set-RH-stiff-/220721571728?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item336407e790

I have these same clubs, have been playing them since the mid-90's and don't have any reason to change.  He's in for $175 and has a great set of sticks that will give him more sensory feedback in one round than he will get in an entire year of playing "super game improvement" irons.... which will also cost 4 or 5 times more.  The 2.8 firestick shaft is listed as "stiff" but it is more of an in between stiff and regular shaft in my opinion.

Just a thought......  go with forged.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Get a set with a 4 iron-not as hard to hit as it seems with a little practice, and so so useful.  I completely understand going with a 3 hybrid-even though I'm a devout follower of the 3 iron I'll bag a Callaway Heavenwood 3H when I'm using my Mizuno MX-200s (4-GW).  Especially so with modern GI sets like the AP1, JPX-800/MX-200, or G15/I15, the 4 iron seems as easy to hit as any 7 iron of yesteryear.

Note: This thread is 4826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!