IGNORED

What is the most important part of a golf course?

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I cant stand it when a course doesnt water the greens properly.

Nothing worse than a well struck iron bouncing 100 feet in the air and landing on the next fairway

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

That's like asking, "What's the most important part of the face?"  I think it's the left eyeball....no wait!  The right one.

BTW, the answer is the cart girls and the ball washers, followed by whether they have a lunch buffet in that order.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 1 month later...

I appreciate the layout and condition of the courses. I think that courses have to be quite difficult and unik that the golf can be fu and interestin from day to another. But allso if the course is not clean or in good condition generally, golf is not so fun then.

In my nike.gif bag:

Driver:  nike.gif Sumo2 SQ 5900
Irons:  callaway.gif  X-14 steelhead
Putter:wilson.gif ProStaff 2Balls: callaway.gif  srixon.gif  topflite.gif  bridgestone.gif  nike.gif  titleist.gif all kinds 

I vote for conditions of the greens... nothing is as frustrating to me as hitting a good drive, good approach, then having the ball bounce or go totally different speeds on different greens.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Most important for me: Challenging greens that roll true.

Next important: Staff that treat their patrons well - not acting like they are doing you a favor for taking your $$$.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I saw a statistic a few years ago about new golf course construction, when broken down to what costs the most to build, it was said it about 30k to build a green, only 1k to build a tee box. I'm sure this is primarily because of the detail involved with a green, dealing with drainage. where are most tee boxes, gravel is placed and leveled out, then filled with sand and smoothed. Left to settle for a while, sanded and smoothed again and then sodded. Once the sod takes hold, grass is cut and is playable.  Greens are more difficult to deal with because of the drainage, too much and you get hard crusty greens, no enough drainage and you super soft and slow greens that are very susceptible to disease and fungus that will kill the very expensive grasses uses on a lot of greens. (excluding Poana and Bermuda.)    Golf course management looks at the greens as being a costly investment to have to rebuild, where as a tee box can be slapped together.

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

The beer selection at the 19th hole!

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Just curious to see what people value the most when playing a golf course.  Is it good greens, good fairways, tee boxes, facilities (Driving range and putting green), club house, layout, etc.

For the most important thing on a golf course is the greens.  I would rather hit off hardpan and divots all day as long as the greens are rolling perfect.

You can never overlook the importance of the hotness of the beer cart girls.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

This is such a true statement, i just moved to Virginia and miss my Washington state beer cart girl, she was a hottie.

• 2 weeks later...

If I have to choose one thing - greens, all the way.  It is frustrating to play a course that has beautiful conditions tee-to-NEAR-green and then struggle with putts that bounce and bump all the way to the hole.

Pace of play is important to me - which goes toward the mgt thing and whether or not they even bother to monitor it.  I've walked off courses after four holes if the pace of play is horrible and there's no ranger in sight.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Originally Posted by Bananarama

The players are the most important part, without them all you have is a well manicured paddock!

Ohhh...  Good answer.  I'd have to agree.  Here's my list, seriously, taking into account importance for a positive experience and not necessarily score:

1.  The staff and the players

2.  The layout

3.  The greens

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I look at putting greens. Well because if they take care of there putting greens usually the course follows. atleast on every course ive been on.

If I had to pick one thing in superb condition and everything else in so so condition, I'll take well conditioned and relatively fast greens.  I don't mean concrete fast but I hate having to make a full shoulder turn on a longer putt.  If the greens are great, I can forgive less than perfect fairways and tees.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate uneven tee boxes more than anything.  I used to like being able to tee the ball up above my feet to help with my slice but now that I am hitting the ball better I can never seem to find a level spot on the side of the tee box I want to tee from.

hu

The other isnt just the green condition from the managements side but the players as well.  If I have to fix a bunch of unfixed divots hole after hole I start to get annoyed.  bumps are one thing but huge untouched divots is unacceptable.....  This usually isnt super bad at my club but some of the cheaper courses around here are horrible.

Well as Mr. Donald Trump said: "You can't have a great course without a great driving range."

For me though, greens make a course the most enjoyable. But reading some responses I have to agree, If the tee boxes are in good shape generally the rest of the course is in as good a shape or better. But in all honesty, I tend you judge a course based on how well its fairways are kept up, even if the greens and tee boxes are decent, if the fairways have lots of brown or discolored grass, dead spots, or poor grass its not a good course imo.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Oooooh good point!!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!