IGNORED

What is the most important part of a golf course?

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The people who play at the particular course are a huge thing for me. At one course I play around here the first Tee is pretty close to the Club House and thier outdoor Patio. And if a newer player Tee's off and perhaps duff's his tee shot or mishits it, people on the Patio almost always snicker. And usually it's older players who are chuckling at this. It makes me sick to my stomach. Of course these guys on the Patio have probably had a few sips of thier favorite brew but still I find that behavior completely out of line.

As far as physical things on go a golf course, I really like to see greens that have very few marks and just roll perfectly. And I just like the course to have general maintence. Some places around here are atrocious you can tell the greens keepers really do not try to make the course all it can be.

• 1 month later...

For me its good greens and the fairways at least have to be decent.  As a beginner  the layout does not matter much to me, if I am on a straighter course with more open space I will play better and have fun.

Reasonable green fee's also play a big factor.  I don't mind paying a little extra if its a real nice course but a few course by me charge a bundle and I can play better courses for less money.

The most important part of a golf course for me is the first hole by far.  A good presentation of what to expect at a course.  It gives the fairways, sand traps, and greens for the rest of the round.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's all important. But the greens have to be the most traversed. Especially close to the pin.

Potentially one ball mark and 2 feet per golfer, 4 golfers per round, 5-6 rounds per hour, 10-12 hours per day - that's a lot of traffic per hole!

Add to that scorching heat, cleats, angry releases, deer, geese, squirrel, ground hogs, moles and the dreaded nutria.

I need greens that are green, no unintentional sand traps please.  This is the problem with the 2nd of three courses I have access to right now.  The fees are outstanding, the course layout is wonderful, the fairways and tee boxes are solid, but 13 of 18 greens have bare sandy patches here and there that cover about 45% of the greens.  Even at 27.00 for 18 w/ a cart (student discount) we have steered clear except when we just wanna play and can't get anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

layout and club management are equal for me.

i actually stopped being a member at a great course because the pro was ignorant and treating the employees poorly, plus i wasnt a fan of the layout but i hated the pro.

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Well, it is hard to narrow down.

1.  Greens.  I am no where near PGA quality, so when I finally do get to the green to start putting for double bogey, well kept greens make the hole.  If the greens are in excellent shape, then the putting experience will be good.  Good greens leave me with a more positive feeling walking away from a hole, even if I scored bad.

2.  Tee times or booking.  Nothing frustrates me more than showing up at a course and getting called to the tee box and there are 3 groups waiting to tee off.  When this happens, they are usually calling the group behind as well.  WTF!  This turns off the whole round for me.  So, showing up and knowing that the course is full, but the bookings account for proper spacing, and its managed that way makes for a better experience.  I will play at a not so well maintained course if the price is right and the tee times are managed well.  My home course is this way.  Not so great on the growing grass side, but good on managing time.

3.  Tee boxes.  First shot on a hole is by far the most important.  Having a good surface to hit off of is huge.

• Upvote 1

My sticks:

Ping I15 irons

Ping G5 hybrid

Ping K15 3 wood

Ping G15 driver

Odyssey Whitice Sabertooth putter with extra large Winn grip

The 'fun' factor most definately.

If your just hitting drives into wide open fairways all day on 100ft greens it gets very repetitive.

A 300 yard par 4, drive over a 250 yard canyon ftw

Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

People have already mentioned the condition of the greens, so I won't repeat that one.  Variety is pretty important to me as well.  While I don't mind it, I certainly get less enjoyment out of courses that consist mostly of a bunch of fairways running almost exactly parallel to each other.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

I would exclude greens and fairways, because personally if you can strike the ball and putt the ball you're going to do it no matter where you are.  I've got to say layout is the most important thing.  If the design of the course is in conflict with the surroundings then the course will never play right.  If the slopes are natural, greens in logical spots then the course has the potential to be great.  Some of the best courses were just plotted on the land long before land could be mass moved.

Originally Posted by domc36

The people who play at the particular course are a huge thing for me. At one course I play around here the first Tee is pretty close to the Club House and thier outdoor Patio. And if a newer player Tee's off and perhaps duff's his tee shot or mishits it, people on the Patio almost always snicker. And usually it's older players who are chuckling at this. It makes me sick to my stomach. Of course these guys on the Patio have probably had a few sips of thier favorite brew but still I find that behavior completely out of line.

As far as physical things on go a golf course, I really like to see greens that have very few marks and just roll perfectly. And I just like the course to have general maintence. Some places around here are atrocious you can tell the greens keepers really do not try to make the course all it can be.

You just reminded me why I didn't join River Bend (Red Deer). Too many patio comedian/douchebags in the evening.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Management or the people who run a golf course is most important after general upkeep I would say. I didn't renew my membership to the local course because Tue and Thurs are "senior league" days. In the morning they shotgun start either the front nine or back nine and then switch in the afternoon. When i play on those days I always ask which side they will start on then I will play the opposite 9. If you don't finish up your nine and they do the afternoon switch they will just jump all over the course no matter if other people are out there playing or not. One time I was walking from the 8th green to the 9th tee in plain site when I saw a couple carts coming from the clubhouse. I was bending down to tee up when they all stopped and teed off in front of me without so much as a wave. It took all I had to not walk up there and give 'em a piece of my mind. Complained to the club house and they apologized. Water under the bridge and no big deal. The second time it happened I had teed off early before the seniors teed off and had asked the starter which side the seniors would be playing. He said the back nine so I walked off the front and was on my way from the 2nd green to the 3rd tee and here come the seniors shotgun starting on the front nine. This time I asked nicely what was going on explaining that I had purposely asked where they would be starting so that I could purposely play the opposite 9. They said we are very sorry but the back nine was too wet and they had decided to play the front nine instead. After using some choice words with them I headed to the back nine stopping at the clubhouse to explained why I wouldn't be renewing my membership this year. Just really piss poor management.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

The tee boxes. I find them a litmus test to the overall quality of the construction and maintenance. I have seen plenty of golf courses with good greens buy crummy tee boxes, but I have never seen a course with good tee boxes and lousy greens.

From my experiences, if the tee boxes have good construction and quality turf, the golf course overall is excellent.

Completely agree.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Really cute cart girls.

We have a winner.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

There is not one aspect as far as care and maintenance that I value enough to overlook a complete lack of another. If your greens are beautiful but your fairways are rock hard with patchy grass and tons of divot marks then no thanks. Don't sleep on the rough either. Yes its supposed to be longer but that doesn't mean it doesn't need maintenance. Another thing that annoys me is when clubs maintain awesome greens but their fringes are crap. If it cant get an at least somewhat consistent roll off the fringe that take away from the green. My biggest pet peeve however may sound silly to some but... I DONT PAY GREENS FEES TO GO OFF ROADING!!!! Fix your damn cart paths.

That said I like courses to be interesting and challenging from a layout perspective. If you dont have the room for 450 yard par 4s that's OK but then you can put in trees or trap or landscape to protect the green and make a short par 4 an adventure. Make me consider weather shooting for the green on a 260 yard par 4 is really a good choice. Use elevation changes. I like having to ponder the right club for a long downhill par 3 over water or sand or whatever. Similarly how much longer of a club do I grab if it is all uphill. Variance is also key. You should never have the same hole twice. Nor should I be using the same club to tee off every non par 3.

I don't need immaculate conditions but they need to be playable and even if they are, the course needs to be interesting.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

• 2 weeks later...

to me there is just a feel you get on a nice course . it starts when you pull into the parking lot and sticks with me until the 18th hole . there are great views , rolling hills , plenty of water hazards , tight fairways , real sand in the traps and receptive greens with a speed equivalent to linoleum . like I say it is a feel that lasts throughout the round and a course either has it or it doesnt

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

Friendly environment that makes newcomers or infrequent visitors feel welcome.  Rude or unresponsive management and obnoxious regulars really put a damper on golfing no matter how inviting the layout or well-maintained the course.

Clean bathrooms.  They shouldn't smell like urine or excessive air fresheners to cover up the urine smell. (My wife made me put this one in.)

A layout that is challenging for my ability level but not too challenging.  I still cringe at the first course I ever played where fairways were narrow and lined with old-growth trees and the fairways were extensively covered with environmental areas (aka wetlands) that you could not enter.  An easy 2 dozen balls donated to mother nature.

Courses that are environmentally sensitive.  I don't need pristine fairways but don't want to hit off hard-pan either.

No damn houses.  OK...maybe an occasional house, but I hate courses where houses line the fairways.  The scenery sucks and I'm golfing on property that was built strictly to increase the value of their homes.  When homes are near a course, I want them screened from view by trees, mounds, etc.

Courses that allow walking and have 9-hole rates.  I hardly ever (actually never) have time to play 18.

• Upvote 1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!