IGNORED

My swing (jlwmanagement)

jlwmanagement
Note: This thread is 4829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and offer your assistance. At the current time, I am happy with my distance, but I lack control. Specifically, I tend to either pull or push (rarely slice). I would say, I hit 50% straight, 30% left, 20% right. I would like to reiterate, that rarely I slice or hook it (maybe 5% of the time.

Can you take a look at my swing below and give me any tips that will help me with consistency? The vids are in slow-mo and I have side and back views.

Thank you for your input and I look forward to contributing on the forums.

DTL

Side

Not too too bad buttttttt. Your first move off the ball is breaking your wrist, you get incredibly unconnected with your arms, you lift your left foot off the ground which is a huge loss of power and coil (in my opinion), your downswing has minimal to none lower body movement besides you re-planting your left foot which is a big cause of why you flip through impact... Thats just what I saw after a couple quick views.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Thanks kinnay92. I have read both schools of thought on early vs late wrist cock in the backswing. I start early as it helps me keep my swing fluid (as fluid as I can anyway).

I also would like to add that I tend to top/fat the ball fairly often and I do not think it is a loss of posture. Anything else that can lead to this...?

I wouldn't worry about the early wrist cock as much as the movement of your hands up and away from your body.  Look at 0:22 in that first video, and compare the movement getting here to any player on the tour.  Work on moving your hands low and back inside as you cock your wrists, ideally keeping the clubhead outside of them until the club is parallel to the ground.  Watch Anthony Kim and Fowler.

There are different swing ideologies on this forum, but the following threads will help you start making the right moves in your swing.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/30325/deep-hands-explained

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/29616/the-biggest-secret-slide-your-hips

Good luck.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by jlwmanagement

Thanks kinnay92. I have read both schools of thought on early vs late wrist cock in the backswing. I start early as it helps me keep my swing fluid (as fluid as I can anyway).

I also would like to add that I tend to top/fat the ball fairly often and I do not think it is a loss of posture. Anything else that can lead to this...?

not having your weight shifted all the way to your right and/or swaying off the ball on the backswing.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Thanks kennay92. I did some checking online and found out that I put my weight on my outer right foot on the back swing when in fact it should be towards the inside/heel. I most certainly do sway at times. I need to compact my swing for consistency and power.

The problem I see is just before impact. Your left arm basically stops moving and you flip your hands around like mad to whip the clubhead into the ball. Your left wrist goes from relatively flat to cupped and hardly moves at all through impact. The clubhead rotates from 45* before impact to a 180* angle after impact and your left hand barely moves a full 12 inches. You are not only draining power by doing that, you're introducing two or three timing elements that you shouldn't have. (Wrist roll and arm speed being two of them.) Look at your left arm just after impact, it has to actually collapse in/up almost immediately to accommodate how the right arm is pushing the clubhead around. You want to be able to maintain a left arm that's perfectly straight for a decent amount of time after impact. So: 1) Keep left wrist flat 2) Extend through the ball, rather than whipping at it (incorporates a straighter left arm and less right wrist activity) To learn more about these: 1) Watch [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cyWGHfudzs]this video[/url] to get an idea of how you should carry your lag position into impact: 2) Read on [url=http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/36669/maintaining-the-flying-wedge]maintaining the flying wedge[/url] and watch the video in the first post. This is less dramatic applied to a wood, which is what you hit in the videos, but it'll show you how your left arm and right arm should look after impact. As far as diagnosing your own swing, look at your impact position and your position when the club shaft is about 30* pas impact. Those will tell you a lot about what motions you used to hit the ball.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 4829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!