IGNORED

Phil Mickelson Tending the Flag

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 4803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Man it was good to watch phil playing good golf again.  He's just an exciting player to watch, I mean who else has their caddy tend the flag while he is hitting a 72 yard approach shot that needs to go in to get into a playoff.  Then he stuffs it and it actually looked like it could have had a chance.   Certainly a fun weekend of golf! Can't wait to watch phil this season.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Faldo made a great point about Phil he said when Phil is just letting loose on every swing he seems to hit it better off tee then when he tries to control it. I was kind of disappointed when he hit the lay up on 18 but if Phil is laying up there must have been no way he could have hit a decent shot to the green. I agree having bones tend the flag was great and the fact he came close to making it was awesome.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I loved that approach from Phil, it's what makes him Phil. Wasn't too far from dropping either.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

If he would have made that it would have been like Babe Ruth calling his shot.

I read somewhere that actually never happened. Ruth was pointing at the pitcher. I do know that Owen Nolan (rumoured to be a huge jerk btw) did call his shot in an NHL All Star game that was being played in his home rink, which means nothing.

Anyway, I think the fact Phil chose holing out a wedge from the fairway, over going for the green in two with a hybrid, says a lot about high handicappers insistence that a hybrid is a "rescue club". If only I could convince my fellow hackers to think about getting back to the fairway first, then the hero shot second (if at all), rounds would be so much quicker.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't get why he layed up before Watson even putted for birdie.

The chances of hitting the green from 230 is much higher than putting the ball in the cup from 70 in my opinion. So what if you put it in the drink, at least you took the shot.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

I don't get why he layed up before Watson even putted for birdie.

The chances of hitting the green from 230 is much higher than putting the ball in the cup from 70 in my opinion. So what if you put it in the drink, at least you took the shot.

Read Mickelson's interview on pgatour.com (or tsn.ca - it's easy to find). Phil's not one to play for positioning (second shmecond), so if he thought the layup/wedge was the best chance at eagle, then it was.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Read Mickelson's interview on pgatour.com (or tsn.ca - it's easy to find). Phil's not one to play for positioning (second shmecond), so if he thought the layup/wedge was the best chance at eagle, then it was.

Surprisingly I agree with Sean .  Knowing the way Phil is, if he thought he had a slightly better chance at making eagle going for it, he certainly would have.  Still awesome to watch.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Quote:

Surprisingly I agree with Sean .  Knowing the way Phil is, if he thought he had a slightly better chance at making eagle going for it, he certainly would have.

With due respect, guys, do you actually believe in what you are writing??? That someone ACTUALLY believes that he has a better chance to sink a 72 yds wedge than a potential 30-footer putt or a 50-footer chip?

With due respect, guys, do you actually believe in what you are writing??? That someone ACTUALLY believes that he has a better chance to sink a 72 yds wedge than a potential 30-footer putt or a 50-footer chip?

It's not just the putt, it's the approach shot and putt combo. He was faced with two choices: 1) a) Hit the green, b) sink the 50-foot putt 2) a) Lay up, b) Sink the 70-yard pitch He knew that 2.a was a given, so he was comparing the two shots against the one shot. Apparently he figured he had as good a chance at the pitch as he did at the green-hit+putt combo.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by Ignorant

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Quote:

Surprisingly I agree with Sean .  Knowing the way Phil is, if he thought he had a slightly better chance at making eagle going for it, he certainly would have.

Are you suggesting he lied in his interview or that you know Phil's game better than Phil does?

Quote:

It's not just the putt, it's the approach shot and putt combo. He was faced with two choices:

1) a) Hit the green, b) sink the 50-foot putt

2) a) Lay up, b) Sink the 70-yard pitch

He knew that 2.a was a given, so he was comparing the two shots against the one shot. Apparently he figured he had as good a chance at the pitch as he did at the green-hit+putt combo.

Indeed. In each scenario you need to multiply the probablities of both shots to get the total probability of the scenario.

Bill

As well as Phil knows his own game it doesn't affect the objective probabilities.  I agree that Phil believed he had a better chance at eagle with layup and a 72 yd lob wedge, but he was wrong. Credit to his skills that he hit it as close as he did.

Are you suggesting he lied in his interview or that you know Phil's game better than Phil does?

Quote:

Originally Posted by max power

As well as Phil knows his own game it doesn't affect the objective probabilities.  I agree that Phil believed he had a better chance at eagle with layup and a 72 yd lob wedge, but he was wrong. Credit to his skills that he hit it as close as he did.

Agreed.

It probably had a lot to do with his great approach shot on 17, where he hit the perfect spot on the ridge - pin high - to roll the ball within 3 feet.  Dialed in after a shot like that, he probably felt he had a legitimate chance to make it from 70 yds out.  And he came pretty close....

Originally Posted by max power

As well as Phil knows his own game it doesn't affect the objective probabilities.  I agree that Phil believed he had a better chance at eagle with layup and a 72 yd lob wedge, but he was wrong. Credit to his skills that he hit it as close as he did.

I watched it but forget...Had Bubba sunk his putt for birdie yet when Phil laid up?

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Note: This thread is 4803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!