IGNORED

"School of Golf" with Martin Hall

mtsalmela80
Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did anyone else hear Martin Hall on School of Golf's season premier say that the fundamentals of golf were controlling contact, having enough power to play the course, and controlling curve? Thought that was hilarious. But it's cool he continues to learn himself... I didn't catch the entire episode so I dunno how much he footnoted, but he said this line right after puff piecing Nick Faldo's new book. Maybe that's why I laughed so hard when he said it...

You know, that's probably why that statement felt like such a curve ball

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

His voice is really grating.  I don't mind the English accent, just the tone.  Like nails on a chalk board.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm pre-disposed to liking Martin Hall much more than Breed because Hall knows the ball flight laws (and seems to apply them - Breed "knows" them but seems to apply the "old" ones).

I just recorded (I missed the initial episode in its first run) the "spine angle" and "tilt" segment and will post it to YouTube later tonight. It's very good. I'll post the video here and in another thread, perhaps.

Does he?  Last summer he posted on Twitter about ball flight laws and was using the old ones.  I personally find him to be annoying, especially when he says, "rubbish!"

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Does he?  Last summer he posted on Twitter about ball flight laws and was using the old ones.  I personally find him to be annoying, especially when he says, "rubbish!"

I don't know. He owns a Trackman, and at the time I posted (two years ago), he'd given some better advice in a few episodes. I probably haven't seen much more than ten minutes total of his show since then, if that.

Maybe he doesn't know them now, or his "old way" still slips out all the time. Someone who watches the show would have to say... I don't know. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by boogielicious

His voice is really grating.  I don't mind the English accent, just the tone.  Like nails on a chalk board.

I think Breed is worse!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I don't know. He owns a Trackman, and at the time I posted (two years ago), he'd given some better advice in a few episodes. I probably haven't seen much more than ten minutes total of his show since then, if that.

Maybe he doesn't know them now, or his "old way" still slips out all the time. Someone who watches the show would have to say... I don't know. :)

Yea, he knows the ball flight laws. This is from 2011. Skip to 2:05 when he talks about realizing them for the first time:

Constantine

• Administrator
Yea, he knows the ball flight laws. This is from 2011. Skip to 2:05 when he talks about realizing them for the first time:

To be fair Breed answers the question correctly then teaches as if they're the "old" way. Answering and applying are very different, as it turns out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

To be fair Breed answers the question correctly then teaches as if they're the "old" way. Answering and applying are very different, as it turns out.

Fair point. It's pretty odd they do that.

Constantine

Originally Posted by ev780

I think Breed is worse!!

+1, I watch Hall more for the entertainment value and golf on tv is better than watching a lot of other things on but I have a hard time watching Breed. The way he talks is really off-putting for me.

I religiously watch both of the and have dislikes and likes regarding both of their methods and segments from time to time. But overall a lot of what they have said on their shows has helped me, I like to try the practice drills that look like they might help me with something I am either working on or trying to improve. As with everything else its all a trail and error approach and with an open might you might just pick up something that could help. On top of that its winter in the northeast so a good time to watch and try things out at the range before the season kicks.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

He's a GSEM ! He should have known way before from the Golfing Machine  !

yea, knowing something and accepting it two different things. Alot of times they got to see the numbers to believe it

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 year later...
Trying to describe the golf swing is like trying to describe how one walks. Good luck.

...and thinking about it while executing is like riding a bicycle as fast as you can while staring at the front wheel.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!