IGNORED

5 wood vs. 3 hybrid

tws1098
Note: This thread is 3677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As for hybrids vs. fairway woods there are several things to consider: while both are relatively the same degree loft you will get more distance out of a fairway wood versus the hybrid due to shaft length. If distance is not as important as accuracy and performance the hybrid will most likely be more forgiving, especially on off center hits. Hybrids are generally slightly cheaper than fairway woods and while there is not a huge savings here, it can help when you also have to stock your bag with those other 13 clubs. If you’re not able to necessarily go for every par 5 in two or you find yourself with that extra long second shot into a par 4; 9 times out of 10 you’re better off with a hybrid in your hands than a fairway wood. Hybrids are definitely easier to hit out of rough and even bunkers – if you’re feeling extra bold. All in all, when you weigh the pros and cons, hybrids are a much better choice for that extra club in your bag.

See you on the course.

Originally Posted by GlobalGolf

As for hybrids vs. fairway woods there are several things to consider: while both are relatively the same degree loft you will get more distance out of a fairway wood versus the hybrid due to shaft length. If distance is not as important as accuracy and performance the hybrid will most likely be more forgiving, especially on off center hits. Hybrids are generally slightly cheaper than fairway woods and while there is not a huge savings here, it can help when you also have to stock your bag with those other 13 clubs. If you’re not able to necessarily go for every par 5 in two or you find yourself with that extra long second shot into a par 4; 9 times out of 10 you’re better off with a hybrid in your hands than a fairway wood. Hybrids are definitely easier to hit out of rough and even bunkers – if you’re feeling extra bold. All in all, when you weigh the pros and cons, hybrids are a much better choice for that extra club in your bag.

That sir is well said...

The 5w & low loft hybrid are always in conflict in my bag. My off brand hybrid I had the past 4 season would hit 190yrds without a lot of height. In contrast I could hit a higher ball with my 5w, so I carried both The hybrid was better out of the rough, when I needed to clear something I used the 5w. I bought nickent hybrids this year and the 2hybrid hit identical to the 5w. So last weekend I ditched the 5w

Point being with not all hybrids being equal it would be best to carry both and see which one works best for you.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

Agreed - I'm in the process of replacing a 13 deg. 3 wood and a 17 deg. 5 wood with a 15 deg. 3 wood. Leaving out the 5 wood allows me to carry an extra wedge which I will probably use more often. My 3H carries almost as far as the 5 wood, and that may also have the benefit of removing the temptation to reach for the 5 wood and go for the green - which more often than not is just trouble!

Anyway, hit 'em long and straight, and keep them in the short grass.

if you like a little more control... go with the 3-hybrid... you lose maybe 5-10 yards from a 5-wood... you and I have almost the same dilemma... PM me with your thoughts on it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try the Adams XTD hybrid. I hit a couple recently and was pleased with the performance. A 17 degree flew higher then my 18 degree cobra. I really think they are oto something there.

Originally Posted by GlobalGolf

Wonderfully said. Now, how do I choose one over another? I have the AdamsGolf Redline set (regular flex - 1/2" short of normal). I tend to hit the ball right. Sometimes really hard right ... with both the 3h and 4h.  They look large to my eye... I have fixed my brain in that I need to use the iron swing path rather than a wood swing path.

But is there a difference, relative to head size, between the different company's hybrids?

I hit the RocketBallz 5wood (fairway 5) a mile. . . and straight. No adjustment done, just right off the rack. I have a slow swing speed. . . 88 - 92mph.  And I hit it 208yards, a 5 wood. If the 3 takes me out to where I am hitting my driver I may switch that as well... but...

Back to the hybrid...

Is the TM rescue a hybrid type club? Suggestions...???

Thank you in advance.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Personally, I find the 5-wood to be more forgiving and easier to hit but the 3-hybrid to be more versatile.  You can hit a hybrid out of just any lie, especially rough which is something that can be challenging with a wood.

I prefer a wood simply because Ive always sucked with hybrids.  For some reason Im able to get a much better launch with a wood.  I was never able to get the hybrid concept of, "treat it just like its a 7-iron" into my head.  I always wanted to play it a bit forward and sweep it like a wood.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Update:

So I went with the 5w (19*) over the same lofted 3h. I smashed the 5w 208yds and barely got the 3h out to 190. I have read a great deal about the RBZ...it's too much loft, it isn't as long as TM says...

For me... I hit the RBZ 208... my 3w is the same. It was less effort to hit it. It felt solid and didn't sound like hitting a coke can. So, I put it in the 3h's spot and am now wondering about the F12 vs the RBZ 3w.

And the Driver... If the line all hits about the same (feel, distance, ease, etc.) maybe I am switching. I am not switching the irons or the wedges, though. I love the Redline's ...

Any thoughts?

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

I read a piece in GD, one of the hot list issues, said slower swing speeds get more distance from similarly lofted fairway wood over the hybrid, but the distance gap narrows as swing speed increases. Modern fairways are pretty forgiving and can work well from lighter rough. Hybrids are more versatile, but I don't think they are for everyone. I currently have a 7 wood and a 22* hybrid as 3 iron replacements. It's a tough decision - using the hybrid at the moment and so far, so good. Agree the earlier post that lower lofted hybrids are not as user friendly and a 5 wood may be a better choice over an 18 or 19 degree hybrid for a lot of people. You still have your 4 hybrid, so you still have that option for shots where a hybrid has an advantage over a fairway wood.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Personally, I ousted my 5 wood in favor of a 19 degree hybrid (Cleveland Hibore)....the shorter shaft makes it easier to hit and I find it more accurate with a negligable loss in distance.

BTW: I noticed that you have a Mach speed driver...I play the Dymo 2 and its a real fairway finder....

My bag is driver, 15˚ 3w, 19˚ 2h, 20˚ 3i, 23˚ 4i...  I love my hybrid.  Off the tee I can get it out to ~225, and it goes 215 +/- off the deck.  So If I'm having a really bad day with the woods I can still tee off with the hybrid and have a reasonable length shot in on any par 4s < 300 yards, and it's definitely easier to hit out of the rough than a 5w.  Though to be honest I'll usually go with 3i out of the rough.  Only down side for me is that I could hit a 5w just a bit longer.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Herniated disc in your lower back? L5-S1? That's what I had, and my chiropractor has given me the okay to go back to golf - albeit cautiously. His words: "You've dodged a bullet".

I bought and used an inversion table and HIGHLY recommend it if you have disc and sciatic pain issues. Mine is a Teeter that I bought from Costco online, but there are lots of stores that sell them. YMMV

Originally Posted by Brian Fergusson

Herniated disc in your lower back? L5-S1? That's what I had, and my chiropractor has given me the okay to go back to golf - albeit cautiously. His words: "You've dodged a bullet".

I bought and used an inversion table and HIGHLY recommend it if you have disc and sciatic pain issues. Mine is a Teeter that I bought from Costco online, but there are lots of stores that sell them. YMMV

Yeah... Don't know which one technically...but it is right at the top of the hips. :)

I am slow with swing and with the QStar I am long enough not to be embarrassed, roughly 230 with the driver and 200 with the 5wood...

I will try the inversion table. :)

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

• 1 year later...

I took my Adams RPM 5w out of the bag after I saw the same distance from an 18* Cobra Baffler Rail H, its much easier to hit consistantly from tee to rough to fairway. The one thing is if you have to hit a high shot that stops fast, I just dont have a high cut fade that stops on a dime from 225 in my game, so no big deal to drop the 5 wood, hehe

Originally Posted by tws1098

Who knows I may just end up dumping the 3 wood and going with a 4wood and a 3i

After much trial and tribulation - thats exactly what I did.    Love the 3i off the tee for tight fairways ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I've been playing less than a year. I use a 3,4and 5 hybrid and I keep a 5i in my bag. I hit them all fairly well most of the time.  I have a Cleveland 3w and 5 w but they are so difficult to hit off the grass that they stay in my Garage. Off the Tee or the grass, my 3HY gives me about the same distance as the 5w- 210. Any over about 210 I'm out of luck.

I love my old Adams A7 hybrids, Bought them used and I hit them so well but I need a wood for anything over the 210. With the advice I received here I bought a TEE 4 wood 16.5 thinking I'll get the added distance I need.

When the club arrived I compared it to my Cleveland 3&5 woods and could see instantly why I can't hit the Clevelands off the grass.  The Bottom of the club face where it meets the sole is rounded off on the Clevelands, No wonder I can't dig the ball off the turf.  The tour exotics 4 wood is a sharp corner. Point is the club brand you choose is important. I just received the Tee 4w, I have yet to try it out but I'm sure I'll be able to hit it with a little practice.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

• 4 months later...

For the typical 14 hc out of real rough? A 7i is a good choice unless you're strong. The point being that for a the typical mid-high capper with ballstriking issues, a low lofted club is tough out of thick rough to hit consistently well. ...

With me, the "sevens" have it. Out of heavier rough, a 7i is the safest bet. Out of medium rough, I have had really good look with my 7W - just need to make sure I hold the L hand firmly, and line up for a slight fade.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3677 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!