IGNORED

Met PGA Rules Quiz - A Tough One! Enjoy!

iacas
Note: This thread is 4762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

The Met PGA section has published their yearly (I think) rules quiz, and it's a doozy! Give it a go:

http://www.mgagolf.org/intraclub/query/catquery.html?doc_number=14375

Discuss it here. I don't recommend reading below here if you don't want to see any answers...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't think I can confidently say I got any of them correct. [spoiler]1) a. 2) d. 3) b. 4) a. 5) a. 6) a. 7) d. 8) a. 9) b. 10) b. 11) c. 12) a. 13) c. 14) b. 15) d. 16) a. 17) c. 18) b. 19) c. 20) d. 21) d. 22) b. 23) b. 24) b. 25) d.[/spoiler]

Does anyone have the answers? I don't wanna go through the rules to find them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

That was painful.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yes, that was painfull...

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and post my answers...  1)D, 2)A, 3)B, 4)A, 5)A, 6)D, 7)B, 8)A, 9)C, 10)B, 11)B, 12)A, 13)C, 14)B, 15)C, 16)A, 17)D, 18)B, 19)C, 20)A, 21)A, 22)C, 23)B, 24)A, 25)B

My score might be worth a good laugh.  I only claimed to know the basic rules on Eriks "How well do you know the rules" post.

Looking fwd to the answers...

This quiz illustrates perfectly why most people haven't a clue about how to play golf by the rules.  Even the best intentioned of us are bound the break a rule somewhere alone the way without even knowing it.  How can you expect people to play the game correctly if the rules are so involved that you can devise a test like this that you'll have a hard time figuring out even if they let you use a rule book when taking it!?!

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

This quiz illustrates perfectly why most people haven't a clue about how to play golf by the rules.  Even the best intentioned of us are bound the break a rule somewhere alone the way without even knowing it.  How can you expect people to play the game correctly if the rules are so involved that you can devise a test like this that you'll have a hard time figuring out even if they let you use a rule book when taking it!?!

These are specific rulings that simply don't happen very often (and most of them never do if the golfer knows the basics), and having taken the test I can't think of any that I've ever actually encountered.

Take #4 for example. If the guy knows to drop within two clublengths, he simply makes the decision to go back and re-hit right away. Why does he drop three clublengths? That's never allowed. It's 1 or 2, and almost always 2 if penalized and 1 is if it's free.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have any of you had to go back to the tee and re-hit?  I could only imagine the embarrassment one would have to go hit again while another group is waiting behind you.

ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

where are the damn answers??

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I believe they come out in a month.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

I believe they come out in a month.

took me nearly that long to do the quiz.  i'm sure i failed...

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by BigMikey

Have any of you had to go back to the tee and re-hit?  I could only imagine the embarrassment one would have to go hit again while another group is waiting behind you.

yep...and to boot in a fairly big tourney at my home course too

i hit my drive just barely i nthe first cut...we all saw it land and didnt think twice about a prov

get up to where it should be and its no where in sight

so there i go, running back, re tee and where does it go?

exact same spot as previous

luckily the guys in my 3 some were still standing there and waited for me to walk back to hit - best bogey of my life on a par 5 tho

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Originally Posted by iacas

It's 1 or 2, and almost always 2 if penalized and 1 is if it's free.

I gotta remember this.  We are always trying to remember how many club lenghts you get for various rulings.

I realize the nature of golf dictates a rule set that borders on cumbersome (ha!), but one of these days someone will figure out that steamlining can be a good thing.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Originally Posted by BigMikey

Of course.  More than once.  It's not that big a deal when the guys behind you also understand and play by the rules.  In that case they've all been there too.

As to the quiz, I have no idea how I did.  Most of these are such obscure, and often hypothetical, situations that they really bear little resemblance to the sort of situations a rules official actually encounters on the course.  They are written deliberately in such a way as to trip up even the most astute rules student, something I would never claim to be.  I've taken this test before and rarely done very well on it, yet I've taken the 100 question final exam for the USGA rules seminar and scored 86%.  And I've done even better than that on the random quizzes on the USGA website, scoring 100% one time.

Anyway, we'll see what the answers say in a few weeks.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Great test and enjoyed it! Good brain work (and I admit I took a glance at the Rule Book just to make sure and I whole heartidly recommend this to everybody trying to solve these puzzles just in order to make it completely right).

It took me a while to understand #6 but got it finally. A bit out of the ordinary, I would say, but perhaps a possible case.

I keenly await answer AND arguments for #24 as IMO there is no correct answers at all: Player A did not finish the hole thus he cannot have any score for it. Same scheme as in #6.

I've given it a try to find the right answers in the rules. Some of them are pretty tricky, it'll be interesting to see the correct answers. Hope they give a reason, referring to rules as well.

1) a. The player incurs a penalty of one stroke for a lost ball, and the second ball played from the tee is in play.

28/14 Stray Ball Deemed Unplayable Played Under Stroke-and-Distance Procedure; Original Ball Then Found

Q. A player finds a stray ball, which he mistakenly thinks is his, in a bad lie. He deems it unplayable and decides to adopt the procedure in Rule 28a. After going back, he plays the stray ball under penalty of stroke and distance at

the spot from which his original ball was played. He then finds his original ball in a playable position. What is the ruling?

A. The original ball is lost and the stray ball played under penalty of stroke and distance is in play (Definition of "Lost Ball" and Rule 27-1).

The ruling would have been different if the player had decided to proceed under either Rule 28b or 28c -— see Decision 28/15.

2) Don't know.

3) a. No penalty

13-4/7 Touching Casual Water in Bunker with Club

Q. A player's ball lies in casual water in a bunker. The player elects to play his ball as it lies and touches the casual water with his club when addressing the ball. The player's club does not touch the sand in the bunker except in

making the stroke. What is the ruling?

A. The player incurs no penalty as he did not touch the ground in the bunker with his club prior to making his stroke — see Rule 13-4b.

4) I first though it was a., but when reading rule 28b I don't know anymore. The decision is for when dropped under rule 28b, which does not apply to water hazards.

20-6/2 Changing Relief Option After Ball Dropped in a Wrong Place

Q. A player deems his ball unplayable and elects to take relief under Rule 28c. He drops the ball in a wrong place and is advised of this fact. He then lifts his ball under Rule 20-6 and states that he wishes to proceed under Rule

28b. Is the player entitled to proceed under
Rule 28b?

A. Yes. Decisions 20-2a/6 and 20-2c/5 suggest a different conclusion. However, in those cases Rules 20-2a and 20-2c are invoked and those Rules imply that a ball to be re-dropped must be re-dropped under the option originally invoked.

5) a. Four

c. When to Re-Drop

A dropped ball must be re-dropped, without penalty, if it:

(i) rolls into and comes to rest in a hazard;

6) b. A incurs a two-stroke penalty for playing a wrong ball and must correct his error before teeing off on the next hole. B has scored four.

I think R20-7 applies to both, but why does the answer state that B broke R27 for playing from wrong place, when R27 got nothing to do with the topic?

20-7. Playing from Wrong Place

c. Stroke Play

If a competitor makes a stroke from a wrong place,
he incurs a penalty of two strokes under the applicable Rule.
He must play out the hole with the ball played from the wrong place, without correcting his error, provided he has not committed a serious breach (see Note 1).

Note 3: If a player incurs a penalty for making a stroke from a wrong place, there is no additional penalty for substituting a ball when not permitted.

7) d. The player is disqualified.

26-1/3 Ball Played Under Water Hazard Rule; Original Ball Then Found Outside Hazard

Q. A player believed his original ball had come to rest in a water hazard. He searched for about a minute but did not find his ball. He therefore dropped another ball behind the hazard under Rule 26-1 and played it. He then found his

original ball outside the hazard within five minutes of having begun to search for it. What is the ruling?

A. When the player dropped and played another ball behind the hazard, it became the ball in play and the original ball was lost.

If it was known or virtually certain that the original ball was in the water hazard, the player was entitled to invoke Rule 26-1. In the absence of knowledge or virtual certainty that the original ball was in the water hazard, the

player was required to put another ball into play under Rule 27-1. In playing the ball dropped under Rule 26-1, the player played from a wrong place.

In match play, he incurred a penalty of loss of hole (Rule 20-7b).

In stroke play, he incurred the stroke-and-distance penalty prescribed by Rule 27-1 and an additional penalty of two strokes for a breach of that Rule (Rule 20-7c). If the breach was a serious one, he was subject to

disqualification unless he corrected the error as provided in Rule 20-7c.

8) a. They do not have a score since the hole was not properly completed

29/4 Dropping Ball in Foursome Competition

Q. Rule 20-2a provides that "the player himself" must drop a ball. Under the Definition of "Partner," it is stated that, in the case of threesomes and foursomes, the term "player" includes his partner where the context so admits. When

a side in a foursome is required to drop a ball, may either member of the side drop it?

A. No. In view of the requirement of Rule 20-2a that the player himself must drop the ball, the member of the side whose turn it is to play next must drop the ball.

9) a. There is no penalty.

19-2/10 Ball Stopped or Deflected by Rake Held by Player’s Caddie

Q. A player’s ball lies in a bunker. He plays, and his ball is accidentally stopped or deflected by a rake that is being held by his caddie. What is the ruling?

A. There is no penalty. Items such as rakes that are placed on the course for general use are not part of the player’s equipment and remain outside agencies at all times. (New)

10) b. Three

20-1/1 Ball Lifted from Putting Green in Mistaken Belief It Is Wrong Ball

Q. A player, mistakenly believing the ball he has played onto a putting green is a wrong ball, picks the ball up without marking its position. He then discovers that the ball is his ball in play. What is the ruling?

A. The player incurs a penalty stroke and he must replace his ball (Rule 20-1).

c. Stroke Play

He must play out the hole with the ball played from the wrong place, without correcting his error, provided he has not committed a serious breach (see Note 1).

11) b. A one-stroke penalty and must replay the stroke

19-2/4 Player's Ball Strikes Own Caddie Standing Out of Bounds and Comes to Rest Out of Bounds

Q. A player's ball accidentally strikes his caddie standing out of bounds and comes to rest out of bounds. What is the ruling?

A. The player incurs a penalty of one stroke (Rule 19-2) and, since the ball lies out of bounds, he must proceed under Rule 27-1, incurring another penalty stroke.

12) a. A may replay the stroke.

Rule 19. Ball in Motion Deflected or Stopped

19-3. By Opponent, Caddie or Equipment in Match Play

If a player's ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by an opponent, his caddie or his equipment, there is no penalty.
The player may, before another stroke is made by either Side, cancel the stroke and play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5) or he may play the ball

as it lies. However, if the player elects not to cancel the stroke and the ball has come to rest in or on the opponent's or his caddie's clothes or equipment, the ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the

putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball came to rest in or on the article, but not nearer the hole.

13) Not sure here. As far as I understood the four-ball rules, C recieve a one stroke penalty, which give him a five, hole halved. In stroke play I think A would have to redo the putts from the right place, but perhaps not in four-
ball match play.

Rule 18. Ball at Rest Moved

18-3. By Opponent, Caddie or Equipment in Match Play

b. Other Than During Search

If, other than during search for a player's ball, an opponent, his caddie or his equipmentmoves the ball, touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the Rules,
the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke.
If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

14) The hole is not finished, so I would go with a. He chose to score with the second ball if he got relief, but never hit the second ball. If he doesn't go back and hit the second ball, he will be disqualified for not finishing the hole.

a. The player may go back and play a second ball, taking the appropriate relief, and hole out with both balls.

3-3. Doubt as to Procedure

b. Determination of Score for Hole

(i) If the ball that the competitor selected in advance to count has been played in accordance with the Rules, the score with that ball is the competitor's score for the hole. Otherwise, the score with the other ball counts if the

Rules allow the procedure adopted for that ball.

15) d. The player must drop the ball in the unplayable lie and proceed from there.

24-2. Immovable Obstruction

b. Relief

(i)Through the Green:If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must

not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction

and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

16) Can't find anything on the subject. I'll put a guess on a. The result stands as played.

17) d. Player A has proceeded correctly.

9-3. Stroke Play

A competitor who has incurred a penalty should inform his marker as soon as practicable.

18) Because A putted from B's position, it assisted B in finding the right putting line. A putts from the wrong place and is disqualified from the hole, so is B for getting advice on line of putt.

d. The side has lost the hole.

f. Effect of Other Penalties

If a player's breach of a Rule assists his partner's play or adversely affects an opponent's play,
the partner incurs the applicable penalty in addition to any penalty incurred by the player.

In all other cases where a player incurs a penalty for breach of a Rule, the penalty does not apply to his partner. Where the penalty is stated to be loss of hole,
the effect is to disqualify the player for that hole.

19) Don't know really. If you know which divot you hit from the last time, should you drop it into the divot? The question says the dropped a foot from the divot, meaning it did not just land there.

20) Since five is not an option, I'll go with d. 1: Tee shot, 2-3: Exerting influence on ball, 4-5: Playing from wrong place. 5 would be total score, so obviously the breach is so serious that it would be ruled disqualification if not
corrected. Don't know how to correct it, but I suppose you send the ball rolling where it was stopped and play from where it lands, giving yourself two penalty strokes for breach of 1-2.

d. He is disqualified for having committed a serious breach unless he corrects his error.

1-2. Exerting Influence on Ball
A player or caddie must not take any action to influence the position or the movement of a ball except in accordance with the Rules.

*Penalty for Breach of Rule 1-2: Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes.

*In the case of a serious breach of Rule 1-2, the Committee may impose a penalty of disqualification.

c. Stroke Play

21) He played a wrong ball and did not correct his mistake. I don't understand what they mean by "or by proceeding under the Rules". What options are there when the wrong ball is played?

d. The player is disqualified.

15-3. Wrong Ball

b. Stroke Play

If a competitor makes a stroke or strokes at a wrong ball,
he incurs a penalty of two strokes.

The competitor must correct his mistake by playing the correct ball or by proceeding under the Rules. If he fails to correct his mistake before making a stroke on the next teeing ground or, in the case of the last hole of the round,

fails to declare his intention to correct his mistake before leaving the putting green,
he is disqualified.

22) A should be given a penalty stroke for moving the ball, which give a total of 5 strokes.

b. B won the hole.

23) b. Player A lost the hole as soon as he improved the area of his intended swing and line of play.

Rule 10. Order of Play

10-1. Match Play

a. When Starting Play of Hole

The Side that has the honor at the first teeing ground is determined by the order of the draw. In the absence of a draw, the honor should be decided by lot.

The Side that wins a hole takes the honor at the next teeing ground. If a hole has been halved, the Side that had the honor at the previous teeing ground retains it.

b. During Play of Hole

After both players have started play of the hole, the ball farther from the hole is played first. If the balls are equidistant from the hole or their positions relative to the hole are not determinable, the ball to be played first

should be decided by lot.

13-2. Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play

A player must not improve or allow to be improved:

· the position or lie of his ball,

· the area of his intended stance or swing

· his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole, or

Penalty For Breach of Rule:
Match play - Loss of hole

24) B played from the right place, and had to substitute ball because A threw away his. B shoots a two. A plays wrong ball from wrong place. Tee shot, two-putt plus two penalty strokes = five.

d. A scored 5 and B scored 2

15-3b/1 Competitor Plays Wrong Ball and Loses It; Wrong Ball May Have Been Fellow-Competitor's Ball

Q. In stroke play, A and B drive into the same area in the rough. B finds a ball and hits it into the middle of a deep water hazard. A finds a ball that turns out to be B's ball. No other ball is found in the area, so presumably B

played A's ball. B incurs a penalty of two strokes under Rule 15-3b and must play his own ball. What is the proper procedure for A?

A. As it was virtually certain that B played A's ball, A must place another ball at the spot from which B played the wrong ball, without penalty -- Rule 15-3b.

15-2. Substituted Ball

Exception: If a player incurs a penalty for making a stroke from a wrong place, there is no additional penalty for substituting a ball when not permitted.

25) 1: Tee shot, 2: Drop, 3: Penalty for moving ball at rest 4-5: Penalty for substituting ball when not permitted, 6: Drop on tee, 7: Shot to green, 8-9: Two-putt.

d. 9

18-2. By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

a. General

When a player's ball is in play, if:

(i) the player, his partner or either of their caddies lifts or moves it, touches it purposely (except with a club in the act of addressing it) or causes it to move except as permitted by a Rule, or

(ii)equipment of the player or his partner causes the ball to move,
the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.

15-2. Substituted Ball

A player may substitute a ball when proceeding under a Rule that permits the player to play, drop or place another ball in completing the play of a hole. The substituted ball becomes the ball in play.

If a player substitutes a ball when not permitted to do so under the Rules, that substituted ball is not a wrong ball; it becomes the ball in play. If the mistake is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6 and the player makes a stroke

at a wrongly substituted ball,
he loses the hole in match play or incurs a penalty of two strokes in stroke play under the applicable Rule
and, in stroke play, must play out the hole with the substituted ball.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!