IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 year later...
I know that very few people use headcovers for their irons. I prefer to have them because they prevent bag chatter and dings. Also, especially around the green, they help me keep track of my clubs and not leave them. I take the headcover off and put it in my back pocket. Since they're numbered, I can also keep them well organized. I've been told it's overkill but it just gives my piece of mind. Any thoughts?

:Acer: XF Leggera Driver 10.5* True Ace Death Stick 56g Shaft

Quick Strike Q4M 21* Hybrid and Q4U 24* Hybrid with  Platinum 60 Shafts

685 OS Milled Irons 5-PW with  Platinum 60 Shafts

:Killer Bee: NCW Wedges 52* 56* 60*

:TearDrop: Putter

i just bought new irons this year after 14 years...i have neoprene covers on them, and during the round i take em off and slide it over the top of my alignment sticks sticking out of the top of my bag...hit, clean em, put the cover on and back in the bag. I didn't use em before but with the Ping ISI-K's i had before, bag chatter didn't really appear noticable. i do take the covers off between rounds tho to keep out moisture

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Yes I use them with my AP2s. Don't like them but they keep the clubs in good condition and the value up as I normally part exchange my irons about every 18 months.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

I never did it with my Taylormades, Callaways or Nikes but because of what people were saying about AP1's I use them now. It really doesnt bother me that I have to take them off and put them back on after every shot.

• 1 month later...
please don't put covers on your irons..they are meant to get banged up like any good instrument or tool. Covering them will just depress you when they evenually get dinged unless you cover them after each shot on the course which we don't want to go there on that as you sound like a nice guy

I don't think it's your place to tell people weather or not they can protect their $800 irons..

Cleveland Launcher DST 10.5*

Ping G15 17*

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with GS-95

Mizuno MPT-11 Black Nickel 52* and 58* with GS-95

Ping Redwood Anser

Can't see a point to them other than for forged or like black pearl finishes you want to keep on your wedges

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I don't think it's your place to tell people weather or not they can protect their $800 irons..

Actually iron covers can actually be bad for irons, they trap moisture close to the clubs and promote rusting, however they do slightly prevent dings. I would rather see my clubs dinged than rusty.

I've never seen them for LW or GW though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They're not for me, but one guy here posted pics of his vintage Ram FX forged irons. He'd used iron covers since day one and they were mint and beautiful.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I use blue mesh Mizuno covers that are sold in Japan (you can find them online). They don't trap moisture for very long, and they slip on and off without any issues. For those of you that "hate" covers, no need to be militant about it, just don't use them! I keep my clubs in my car often, and the covers keep the clubs from banging together. In addition, the covers match my blue and white Mizuno bag, and they look fantastic.

To each his own, but I wont buy another set of irons without covers.
In my blue & white Omega V Bag:

Irons - MX-200 Irons
Wedges - CG15 56˚ & 60˚
Hybrid - Burner 33 Metal - Tour Burner 15˚Driver - R9 460 10.5˚Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball SRTBall - Pro V1

They're not for me, but one guy here posted pics of his vintage Ram FX forged irons. He'd used iron covers since day one and they were mint and beautiful.

Then he's never hit from the places I do.

Head covers would be meaningless for me... and I do play forged irons.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i dont use iron covers...but the only problem i see with them is waiting for a partner to go back a hole to pick his up.

i just spent 800 bucks on new ap2 irons, Im definitly using iron covers. I never did use them in the past but I would always hate hearing that clanging of my irons while i walked with my bag on my back, its loud

Im not a fan of those iron covers either. To me they look cheesy, but hey to eaches own.

I agree.....and to boot it's seems as if everytime you play with someone who has them, they lose them somewhere on the course during the round....but just my opinion as well.

does anybody use them or know of any good brands for them? i would like to prevent common nicks and dings from bag chatter on my irons. thanks

My main focus is on my game.

Nike VR Str8-fit, 9.5, stiff flex
SQ Dymo 3 wood
SasQuatch SUMO 3HNike VR Full Cavity 4-AW, regular flexSV Tour 56 and 60 degree, black satin finish Studio Select Newport 1.5

I got paired up with a guy a few weeks ago that used ankle socks on his 690MBs. It actually looked pretty cool and his irons didn't look like they were as old as they were.

Driver: taylormade.gif Tour Burner 9.5*
4 Wood: taylormade.gif200 Steel 16*
Irons: taylormade.gif Burner '09
Wedges: taylormade.gif RAC TP Satin 54*, 58*
Putter: odyssey.gif White Hot Tour #9  Ball: bridgestone.gif B330

thats actually a good idea lol but i think we would have to use something like a toddler sock

My main focus is on my game.

Nike VR Str8-fit, 9.5, stiff flex
SQ Dymo 3 wood
SasQuatch SUMO 3HNike VR Full Cavity 4-AW, regular flexSV Tour 56 and 60 degree, black satin finish Studio Select Newport 1.5

These are the ones I use.....except they say Mizuno on the side: http://cgi.ebay.com/Golf-Iron-Head-C...item335a723d7c

I put them on when I'm finished a round so they don't get too banged up in the trunk. On the course, when I use an iron I just throw it in the bag and replace it when the round is done. It's a pain to pt them on and off after every shot which is why I do that. I'm a walker though (push cart). If I rode in a cart I would put them on after every shot since that is where a lot of chatter happens.

Warning.... there will be people who reply making fun of iron covers saying bag chatter gives a club character or some will say "does a plumber cover his pipe wrench?!?!" #1....the same people who say bag chatter gives the club character are the same fools who wash their clubs after every round. #2.....the people who think clubs are their tools are obviously NOT plumbers or contractors!! Their tools are usually better taken care of than golf clubs!!

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!