IGNORED

Which club you mostly use for chipping (chip and run) ?

Gerald
Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which club you mostly use for chipping (chip and run) ?

• 7i
    • 8i
    • 9i
    • PW
    • GW
    • SW
    • LW

The other day I took a lesson (yes even mid single handicapers take lessons) in chipping.

With my previous set (MP-57) I used the 8i mostly ...... although I know many lowcappers prefer to use their GW or PW for this. My pro agrees on the 8i by telling me that chip is actually short for chip and run ..... so with an 8i it is about 50% through the air and 50% roll.

My current set has really strong lofts, so I went for a 9i for my chips.

What do you use and why ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I use my 8 iron. Though there is no way its 50% air and 50% run for me.  I play he ball off my inside back foot, hands well forward and then use a tad steeper swing then a putting stroke.  Therefore the ball runs more then it flies.  I tend to get the ball on the floor quickly.

I can vary the ball flight distance by changing the ball position at address (or, rarely, I use a more lofted club).  I move the ball forward a bit for more air time, but never further back then my normal chip address.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I use my 56 degree for almost all greenside chip and runs, only use the 60 with a hop and stop. Only use the PW if i'm a way's off the green, however, if my chipping is bothering me one day on the course, I will always use a PW instead of my SW to chip around.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

I almost use the 54 for all chipping close to the green.  I will use my pw (48) for anything uphill or longer.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

For a true chip and run, I use an 8i.

(From 1960s until 1994 I used a 7i with various sets, but then the lofts got stronger).

For a pitch and run, I use a 50*... unless I need quite a bit of run, then I use a PW.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to use my 56* but now I am seeing myself using my 52* more and more near the green unless I have a nice lie where I know I can make my ball roll out just a little by adding a bit of spin to my shot.

So..

PW - 140-130ish, some bump and run

52* - 125-115, Greenside, more bump and run

56* - 115 and in, and bunkers, little bump a run lol

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I put SW, but in reality I use my GW, SW, or LW for all my greenside shots.  Which one depends how much green there is to work with and what is in front of me.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I have an ancient Wilson Staff JP pitching wedge that I use for almost everything.

If I need a really long run, I might use a 7 or 8, but I rarely use that shot.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I use my LW, but I really would prefer not to get into another argument on the subject. I like the LW because I find it easier to practice with, I like the continuity, and because that's what works for me. I've tried using other wedges, irons, or hybrid, but I find myself struggling to adjust to different clubs for different shots. I don't like having to adjust the way I hit the ball and the club I hit it with, so I remove the latter variable and just work on the former. If that doesn't work for you, fine, chip with multiple clubs, but I find it easier and I encourage others to at least try it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

. . . but I really would prefer not to get into another argument on the subject . . .

There's no option in the poll for "it depends on my lie and where the pin is" so I chose 8 iron. I'm just as likely to use any other iron for a true chip and run, except the LW, but I don't want to get into an argument about it either.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There's no option in the poll for "it depends on my lie and where the pin is" so I chose 8 iron. I'm just as likely to use any other iron for a true chip and run, except the LW, but I don't want to get into an argument about it either.

Well you won't get one from me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I use my 56° SW for almost all my chips and pitches where the landing area is the green or fringe.  My distance control is adequate and it is easier to just practice with one club.

If I'm playing a shot that I want to land outside the fringe, and roll a long way, I'll usually use a 7I, same as for most punch-outs, etc.  In specific situations, of course, this will vary (e.g., "putting" a choked-down 4I to hop over a few inches of nasty stuff just off the fringe), but those are exceptional situations.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by 596

I use my 8 iron. Though there is no way its 50% air and 50% run for me.  I play he ball off my inside back foot, hands well forward and then use a tad steeper swing then a putting stroke.  Therefore the ball runs more then it flies.  I tend to get the ball on the floor quickly.

I can vary the ball flight distance by changing the ball position at address (or, rarely, I use a more lofted club).  I move the ball forward a bit for more air time, but never further back then my normal chip address.

I do the exact same thing, but I use my 9i.

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Note: This thread is 4815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!