IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

Two-plane versus one-plane, doesn't matter much really. There are still tons of useful information that S&T; uses that apply to both, and its been said over and over again, the hips are ahead of the ball and the body stays centered over the ball. They streamlined alot of information into one type of swing, but alot of pieces can fit alot of people.

Like me, I am a pretty flexible guy, but i just can't take the whole elbow one plane swing. When i do that i can't rotate well, it feels like my whole body is restricted. I think this is because of my right leg not straightening enough, but i feel more natural on two planes. So i decided to live with that, but still trying to get better hand depth. My main focus though is on the downswing with starting with my hips first and my footwork. I was originally thought a two play swing and it stuck with me, so i doubt i will ever get rid of it. Thats why i am trying to get back to my push fade, instead of a draw. I think its easier to hit a Fade with a two plane swing, my opinion, though someone could come after me and say i am wrong ;b

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you were maintaining your left wrist flex like Furyk, does he not flatten his left wrist until a somewhere between P5.5 and P6? That's about when it looked like your left wrist was flat for the first time in the video. [quote name="iacas" url="/forum/thread/43987/my-swing-iacas/18#post_576070"]

Normal speed? Not that I know of. Don't remember the last time I shot my swing in normal speed...

Float load? A little. Not readily apparent in this video as this one isn't quite a full swing... which is why the left arm doesn't quite get to the shoulder line.

If that's not what you meant by "float" then let me know...

[/quote] Yeah, I was referring to float load.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by B-Con

If you were maintaining your left wrist flex like Furyk, does he not flatten his left wrist until a somewhere between P5.5 and P6? That's about when it looked like your left wrist was flat for the first time in the video.

Really? I've marked roughly P2 and P4 in this screenshot.

_.jpg

I was dorsiflexing (cupping) the left wrist primarily to help me hinge the club up faster. It helps with that. The Furyk feeling was more tied to feeling that I went from "steep" to "shallow" as I tend to go the other way - shallow -> steep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I to am working on a furyk feeling swing.Mine's a bit more steep at the top between you and furyk.But a quick reroute at the top to shallow out and have a better plane on the downswing.

Originally Posted by iacas

Really? I've marked roughly P2 and P4 in this screenshot.

I don't see that same wrist cup angle for P4 in your swing. Here's what I see:

uIAks.png

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Administrator

I don't see that same wrist cup angle for P4 in your swing. Here's what I see:

Perhaps I'm not sure what you're asking... can you restate the question?

The dorsiflexion is to help hinge the club up. It has nothing to do with Jim Furyk - that's another feeling of going from steep to shallow rather than the opposite.

Also, I don't like the line on the middle image because the angle isn't very good for seeing wrist cupping from that angle - you're seeing more wrist hinge than anything.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Whoops. In my previous post, disregard the reference to P4. [quote name="iacas" url="/forum/thread/43987/my-swing-iacas/36#post_576343"]

Perhaps I'm not sure what you're asking... can you restate the question?

The dorsiflexion is to help hinge the club up. It has nothing to do with Jim Furyk - that's another feeling of going from steep to shallow rather than the opposite.

Also, I don't like the line on the middle image because the angle isn't very good for seeing wrist cupping from that angle - you're seeing more wrist hinge than anything.

[/quote] In the OP, you said: [quote=iacas]As you can tell from the name of the video, I was trying to achieve a little more of a "Jim Furyk Feeling" on this swing - dorsiflexion of the left wrist on the takeaway[/quote] So I thought that dorsiflexion of the left wrist in that video was related to imitating the "Furyk Feeling". Watching the dorsiflexion in the video, it seemed to me that the wrist was not flat until somewhere between P5 and P6. The middle photo I posted is not good quality, but it still doesn't look flat at that point to me, but in the third photo it is clearly flat. I was curious if my assessment was correct: that meant that you were flattening your left wrist on the downswing. Because I thought you were imitating Furyk, I wondered if he did the same thing. However, from the image of Furyk you posted, he actually has a practically bowed left wrist at P4, so now it's clear that he does not. So now I'm curious where in the swing you personally like to flatten your left wrist, and whether you do so in the video or if you did something different with the dorsiflexion in your left wrist in the video than you normally do.

• Administrator

So now I'm curious where in the swing you personally like to flatten your left wrist, and whether you do so in the video or if you did something different with the dorsiflexion in your left wrist in the video than you normally do.

I fight getting it flat too early, so for now, my answer is "later so long as it's before impact."

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

To be clear... I'm not using Charlie in these pictures because I want to swing like Charlie. I'm using Charlie because he overdoes (to a slight fault) some of the things I underdo.

These photos are a few days old. Got video from today that shows some nice improvements. Maybe I'll add those to the end.

Note: not forward much in these at all, but not something I'm working on at the moment. I could be more forward, and I am when I'm playing golf, but not so much when working on backswing pieces.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

• Administrator

8.jpg 9.jpg

Yes, it's one degree different (second picture), but these numbers aren't exact and the sensations worked well enough. I don't want to be 90 degrees by P2 like Charlie anyway (exaggeration). ;-)

Can I ask what will these adjustments gain as far as hitting the ball is concerned? To me it seems like you are trying to have a swing that looks perfect in picture. I am sure you have the big picture all sorted but any chance you could let us know the problems you are having because you aren't doing the aformentioned parts of your swing correctly.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

• Administrator

Originally Posted by k14

Can I ask what will these adjustments gain as far as hitting the ball is concerned? To me it seems like you are trying to have a swing that looks perfect in picture. I am sure you have the big picture all sorted but any chance you could let us know the problems you are having because you aren't doing the aformentioned parts of your swing correctly.

I'm not trying to make anything look like a picture.

I tend to take the club back a little too flat (right arm doesn't bend soon enough, third accumulator rolls a little too much to compensate). Then the swing goes long and I re-route the club too steep, which leads to needing to turn through more than the linear component at the moment. It's a series of compensations, albeit minor ones, that I'd prefer not to have in my swing because it causes some minor issues I'd rather not have in my shots.

My swing will look "similar" to Charlie's in the ends (and "similar" to a lot of people's, frankly, depending on your definition of "similar" for all cases) but his pictures and my pictures simply exist side by side for comparison, for measurements, for numbers. Charlie overflexes his right arm, but since I need to feel that more, I used his picture. Charlie goes from steep to flat, too, the opposite of me and something I need to feel a bit more of. DTL Charlie is hitting a wedge while I'm hitting a 6I, too, so his swing is even shorter... which I need more of as well.

I'm not trying to make my swing look like any one "picture." I've written about this before, but basically, the pictures show that "feel isn't real" and they show the "gates" through which I pass. I'm never trying to "hit" any one position, but rather come up with feels for my golf swing that, when a picture is taken, show that I'm passing through these proper positions. It's important to remember that the golf swing is a fluid motion, not a series of "positions," but I'm saying that to readers of this post and not to myself. If you think I'm trying to connect a series of positions, you've got my approach backwards - I'm trying to find some feelings that reveal themselves as certain positions. Positions which will not force compensations.

A steep shaft on the downswing leading to more turning and less linear leads to a little bit of trouble with the third commonality - curve control. Occasionally I get a little cut when I'm thinking draw because the path is a bit too far left. Or occasionally I'll toe a shot a little because of the same thing - path going a bit too far left.

I can and do play scratch golf from these positions. I know of plenty of scratch golfers with worse positions, too... but that's the point. I want to get better, and so I'm working on curve control, and this is how I have to go about it right now: by tweaking my shaft plane and eliminating or minimizing the "shallow to steep" loop.

I do want to be clear on the "positions" thing. The golf swing is not a series of positions you can connect. If that were the case I could have a perfect golf swing... I'd just swing 1/10th as fast as I do now. But pictures are a great way to see that feel isn't real and to isolate things so you can come up with ways to improve. The goal is not to improve the picture, but an improved picture is a byproduct of an improved motion.

Did that answer your question?

Yes that well and truely gives us the information. Thanks!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Just some pictures. Full speed swing, just thinking about one thing... effectively "a golf course swing." As real as it's gonna get.

_iacas_fo.jpg _iacas_fo_2.jpg _iacas_dl_1.jpg _iacas_dl_2.jpg _iacas_dl_3.jpg _iacas_dl_3.jpg _iacas_p89.jpg

Erik,

Would you consider your hips in a "reverse" position in the backswing? Seems that you could move the belt buckle back during the backswing and still give yourself the excellent left tilt that you have. Right now it seems that your hips start going forward in the backswing and then have trouble going "more forward" because they are already pretty forward. Sort of a Zack Johnson-esque move.

Certainly I am not trying to criticize, but learn with my comments. I cannot see the full swing so I am only guessing about the hip movement.

Michael