IGNORED

High handicapper, got upgraded to VR Split Cavity by mistake....keep them?

Note: This thread is 4810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a high handicapper, been playing for 2 years, havent broken 100.  Been in the 102-104 range for the last few months.

Decided I should upgrade my irons since they are R flex and I'm pulling almost all the shots, and research suggested shaft needed to be stiff.  Driver swing speed is 90-95 and iron swing speed is 80-85, which are on the cusp of R/S flex.  golf store guys told me I could go to stiff if I wanted to for accuracy, but would lose distance.

Driver and woods are R because I like the distance and only 1-2 times my accuracy has been an issue (out of bounds); which in theory would get me under 100 too so I'll look into that.

So I have Nike Slingshot HL irons, and liked them because the long irons 3-5 are hybrids which have helped, but i have been all over the course with accuracy on it and just figured to get a stiff set.

So I ordered from my local golf store a set from their website, the used nike victory red full cavity, stiff, since I wanted to try a new head, liked that style, and figured I was good enough for real irons in the long irons and not hybrids

When the order came it and I picked it up, I didnt even pay attention to the back of the club, just the face and looking at the quality of the grooves, grip, etc.  I get home and start cleaning the clubs and realized the back is not black on grey, but silver on grey, which means these are the VR SPLIT CAVITY.

My first thought was to return them since I've read about these and I thought it was a stretch for me to even play full cavitys since most reviews say they are for 15-20 handicap, and not breaking 100 yet puts me over that.  And the split cavity I heard are for 10-15 so no way am I good enough to use them.

However, took them to the range and then the course...didnt play the long irons because those 50% of the time were shanks, so I only used the 7-AW, and when I needed longer distance, I either layed up or pulled out my VR hybrid....ended up with 102 this past weekend but that was because it was the first time I was using the irons and bladed/flubbed chip shots badly (need to get used to the bounce on these wedges).  So in theory I can break 100, maybe even 90-95 with these irons if I get the chipping right; and maybe more if I hit the long irons.

With that said, 4-6 irons are tough, but not impossible for me to hit.  I'm fairly accurate with the 7-AW and with the stiffer shaft I'm not pulling them as much.  Slight pull but nothing too bad.  In fact, a couple of swings had a draw like motion in it, went right, then left and landed center.  But that was like twice in 90 shots at the range...

So with all that said.....high handicapper, playing with VR split cavitys.....should I return them, or keep them?  I am thinking of keeping them because I think in the long run these will help my game...correct?  Or is it better for me to get the full cavity because its more forgiving and thats what I should think about, at my current level?

I figure might as well keep them since I'm not playing as bad as the internet said I would, and with enough practice I could hit the long irons.

Keep them.  Nice clubs, and far more forgiving than the blades that all golfers played for decades.  High 'cappers that think they can't play anything other than SGI clubs are usually wrong, and low 'cappers that think they can't play a cavity back or anything with offset are wrong.

I got a set of the vr split cavties as well...i am about a 25+.  I have found them hard to hit myself and have lost about 15yrds per club in distance.  I am on the fence on if I am going to keep them or not.....I got rid of a set of king cobra 2 over size that i have had for about 12 years.

TO OP, have you found them hard to hit or lost any distance?

Originally Posted by twinn-burner

I got a set of the vr split cavties as well...i am about a 25+.  I have found them hard to hit myself and have lost about 15yrds per club in distance.  I am on the fence on if I am going to keep them or not.....I got rid of a set of king cobra 2 over size that i have had for about 12 years.

TO OP, have you found them hard to hit or lost any distance?

Yeah I think i've lost about 10 yards, but with the accuracy, thats worth it...plus, these have a mid flight trajectory, so its likely to roll more after the carry and I could probably make up that 10 yards....but like I said, can't really hit the 4-6 yet.....4-5 are shanks 50% of the time, and 6 shanks about 25%.....7-AW are pretty straight and flush shots 95% of the time.....so I think I can learn to hit the long irons as I get better.....really suprised at how smooth the shots feel.....I tried out a set of Nike NDS before I got the VR split cavity and I was shanking all the irons and my hands would hurt cuz the shaft would send that pain to the hands....not sure if the S300 on the VR's absorbs shock or something but if the shot goes at least 100 yards and straight, don't feel any pain.....I do feel something when the long irons shank, so I know I did something wrong although I'm not sure what I did wrong yet.....but let me tell you, those 2 that I hit a draw is a beautiful feeling and sight to see....never hit a true draw before...all had been straight...so if I can do that on purpose more, that will really help me and thus I should keep this as these are definitely ones I can grow into

They will feel great when you flush one, they are a forged club. The down side, if you struggle with good contact, is that they are not as forgiving, obviously. Forged clubs will also bend/tweak easier, especially if you bang a lot of balls at the range on rock hard mats, in turn meaning you will have to have the lies and lofts checked more often than a cast club.

'09 R9
'09 R9 3 wood 15*
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3-4 hybrids
'10 AP1 710 5-GW
Vokey SM 54*/11 Vokey SM 58*/4 Barbados putter C-130

@ Flaming Moe

In your profile you have a 25 hc and you write playing 2 years and never broke 100, now playing in the 102-104 range ,,,, which is about hc 30-32 to me.....

First ...... what have you been doing that TWO years ???? ....... no serious ........

And believe me ..... I doubt you are pulling, I figure a poor swing coming from the outside with a square or closed blade, resulting in balls going to the left.

S-flex ..... BAD ADVISE at your swingspeed.

It would have been better ..... to invest in some lessons !

Just my $ .02

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by kevink2

They will feel great when you flush one, they are a forged club. The down side, if you struggle with good contact, is that they are not as forgiving, obviously. Forged clubs will also bend/tweak easier, especially if you bang a lot of balls at the range on rock hard mats, in turn meaning you will have to have the lies and lofts checked more often than a cast club.

Ah, thanks for that info...yeah I go to the range once a week and its hard mats, so I'll have to go to the range at the course where I can play off grass

Originally Posted by Gerald

@ Flaming Moe

In your profile you have a 25 hc and you write playing 2 years and never broke 100, now playing in the 102-104 range ,,,, which is about hc 30-32 to me.....

First ...... what have you been doing that TWO years ???? ....... no serious ........

And believe me ..... I doubt you are pulling, I figure a poor swing coming from the outside with a square or closed blade, resulting in balls going to the left.

S-flex ..... BAD ADVISE at your swingspeed.

It would have been better ..... to invest in some lessons !

Just my $ .02

Well yeah thats true, I just put a number there cuz you can't register without putting a handicap in.  So I'm probably a 30+, but I know I'll be breaking 100 regularly soon, I can feel it.

So as far as what I've been doing for two years...when I got into the game, started with a walmart $100 starter set....realized I loved the game, and bought a whole new set of used clubs, which included adams as02 irons since they are hybrids and easy to hit (at that point was shooting 120-130)..then a year later realized I was hitting good and traded those in for a used nike slingshot hl (got to regularly 110-120).....kept practicing and yes, had a slice for over a year but now my life is all about golf, in fact took lessons when I had the slingshots and got better, kept watching golf channel and online lessons and now got my slice to a pull because I start with a strong forward shaft lean which helps me swing with lag, in addition finally figured out what hitting inside out meant, and now I have a pull the last three months (while getting down to 102-104).....went to the golf shop, had my swing analyzed and at my speeds they said I COULD go to S for accuracy.....kept my driver at R, but now picked up these irons (which should have been full cavity but they gave me split) and took them out once and hit them straight (at least the short irons...still working on the long irons)

So yeah I'm gonna keep the S flex irons because I can hit them, and professionals told me I could hit them, and I think these are a great set to grow into and the plan is within 1-2 years move up to blades.

But I agree, now that I have these irons, I'll go back and get some new lessons, especially so I can hit the long irons.

Also, on a side note, the other part of the reason I got down from the high 110s to the low 100s is because of my driver......my driver had always been a huge banana slice that ended up OOB (which is what you would expect for a beginner), but what I did last fall was pick up the VR str8 fit driver and change the face to the extreme draw bias, so now my drives are straight (slice being offset by the draw setting)  and hitting 240-260 easily (one time on a 417 yard hole, I birdied it with a 290-300 yard drive), and I figure I'll keep praciticing and as I get better, the drives will start going left, at which point I'll keep adjusting the setting towards fade until I'm at even setting and hopefully at that point I'll be able to hit draws/fades on purpose

Originally Posted by max power

Haven't broken 100 and planning on blades.  Definitive proof of excessive internet golf forum browsing!

Hey man, don't sell yourself short. Anyone can hit a blade once they get a strong forward shaft lean, which of course allows them to swing with lag.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

1404 Posts and questioning someones decision to buy something with their own money, Definite proof of excessive Golf Forum Opinionating

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

That was tongue in cheek-I've been encouraging him to stick with the less forgiving clubs based largely on the argument that everyone played blades for decades.  But good job reading all 8 posts prior to that one.

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

1404 Posts and questioning someones decision to buy something with their own money, Definite proof of excessive Golf Forum Opinionating

Originally Posted by Flaming Moe

Well yeah thats true, I just put a number there cuz you can't register without putting a handicap in.  So I'm probably a 30+, but I know I'll be breaking 100 regularly soon, I can feel it.

So as far as what I've been doing for two years...when I got into the game, started with a walmart $100 starter set....realized I loved the game, and bought a whole new set of used clubs, which included adams as02 irons since they are hybrids and easy to hit (at that point was shooting 120-130)..then a year later realized I was hitting good and traded those in for a used nike slingshot hl (got to regularly 110-120).....kept practicing and yes, had a slice for over a year but now my life is all about golf, in fact took lessons when I had the slingshots and got better, kept watching golf channel and online lessons and now got my slice to a pull because I start with a strong forward shaft lean which helps me swing with lag, in addition finally figured out what hitting inside out meant, and now I have a pull the last three months (while getting down to 102-104).....went to the golf shop, had my swing analyzed and at my speeds they said I COULD go to S for accuracy.....kept my driver at R, but now picked up these irons (which should have been full cavity but they gave me split) and took them out once and hit them straight (at least the short irons...still working on the long irons)

So yeah I'm gonna keep the S flex irons because I can hit them, and professionals told me I could hit them, and I think these are a great set to grow into and the plan is within 1-2 years move up to blades.

But I agree, now that I have these irons, I'll go back and get some new lessons, especially so I can hit the long irons.

Also, on a side note, the other part of the reason I got down from the high 110s to the low 100s is because of my driver......my driver had always been a huge banana slice that ended up OOB (which is what you would expect for a beginner), but what I did last fall was pick up the VR str8 fit driver and change the face to the extreme draw bias, so now my drives are straight (slice being offset by the draw setting)  and hitting 240-260 easily (one time on a 417 yard hole, I birdied it with a 290-300 yard drive), and I figure I'll keep praciticing and as I get better, the drives will start going left, at which point I'll keep adjusting the setting towards fade until I'm at even setting and hopefully at that point I'll be able to hit draws/fades on purpose

some notes ....

anyone being that serious is supposed to reach hc. 18 in two years ...... there is nothing wrong with your irons, it is just your swing ..... uhh strong forward lean WRONG !!! ...... might be just ahead of the ball but not more !!!!!!!

Maybe you should read the ball flight laws (overhere somewhere) to understand your ballflight ........ I am about sure based on you handicap etc...... you are NOT pulling.

Stiff shafts will make you worse, because if you would have a proper technique, you would be able to over come the fact that your swingspeed is too low to square the clubface at inpact.

Setting a driver to max. draw means your swing is of a real hacker ...... my advise, put it back to neutral or even put it a bit open and learn to really swing well, before making slight adjustments.

If I would hit a Straight drive easely 240-260 ........ I would be playing handicap 10 if the other clubs I would have in the bag were 13 putters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Moe,

It depends on your game plan for golf. Are you planning on taking a golf clinic this spring and getting some help on you swing? Can you play more than twice a month? Will you methodically hit a single bucket of balls on days when you don't play?

If golf is going to become a major activity in your life, the split cavities might work. If you will be more of an occasional / team scramble golfer, some more forgiving irons would work better.

Suggestion: Don't be afraid to take a lesson just on short game. A pro can look at what you do and give you tips on how to play inside 100 yards. (Up close is where most people play a majority of their shots).

Mastering lag putting, chips shots and partial wedges can take 10 strokes off your game quickly. Plus, making proper club contact on the chips and short wedges will help you groove your full swing motion.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yepppp there is no need to buy a difficult to hit well club, once you reach a decent handicap ...... I see so many golfers making it a difficult game for themselfs (been in that camp too )

Note: This thread is 4810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!