Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twinn-burner

Bending Nike Split-Backs

10 posts in this topic

Long story short, I hit these clubs about 15yds shorter per club than my old set.

each club is about 4 degrees more loft than my old set

Would it make sense to maybe bend each club about 2 degrees (i would also get my lie adjust if needed)???

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

yeah i would agree.....however, not it forces me to hit a club i would be less confident with....(if that makes sense)

If you are bending a club closer to the starting loft of another, why would you have more confidence in it?  Is it a "I can't hit a 4 iron" mentality that you would feel better hitting a strong 5? I don't mean to come off rude, I am just trying to make sense of what you just said.

it maybe a dumb post...(looking for knowledge).  I guess what I am trying to say is now for a 165 yard shot I would need to hit a 5 or 6 iron as apose to a 7 iron, which I may not be a confident hitting a lower iron....  I was just looking for more distance per club....sounds like it might be a bad idea???

Originally Posted by twinn-burner

it maybe a dumb post...(looking for knowledge).  I guess what I am trying to say is now for a 165 yard shot I would need to hit a 5 or 6 iron as apose to a 7 iron, which I may not be a confident hitting a lower iron....  I was just looking for more distance per club....sounds like it might be a bad idea???

My point is that if you are going to bend them stronger, they have essentially become the club you don't want to hit.  They just have a 6 still stamped on them rather than a 5. If you want more distance you may just want to swap for the vr full cavities.  Being that the split cavities are a players iron you need to be right on the sweet spot and de-lofting the club to get the distance you will get out of a stronger lofted GI club like the full cavities. The other advantage to swapping sets would be that you can make a little money from the switch rather than pay to have them altered.  If you are a 25 handicap you could even look into swapping out just the 3-5 or 6 irons for the full cavities to give you a little extra distance while retaining the accuracy in the short irons. (hell if you have the coin, I would get a sweet set of vr combos)

But to answer your question on whether it is a bad idea...no, if it works for you. It seems like a waste of money to me just so you can look at the number and be more confident rather than choosing a different club...does that make sense?

i see...i just thought that since the nike's have about 4 more derees of loft per clubs, maybe bending them 2 degrees might help out...

Nike usually sets their clubs stronger opposed to other companies. My Split Cavity's are 2° stronger than my Zuno's on each club. In turn, I hit them about 10 yards longer per club.

the nike's are about 3 to 4 degrees more loft per club, when comparing to most GI irons.  Since they are not GI irons I guess that makes sense....

Quote:

My point is that if you are going to bend them stronger, they have essentially become the club you don't want to hit.  They just have a 6 still stamped on them rather than a 5. ...

tws has an excellent point.

Also, have you taken any lessons lately? You might have a pro check out your swing before you go spending $$ to change your clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades