IGNORED

change to a 10 finger grip?

Note: This thread is 4625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always been an interlocker (edited from: overlapper, oops).  I have started to mess around with a 10 finger grip and it feels a lot better...havent tried hitting balls with it yet or anything,  It also feels like i would have an easier time with the later release i have been working on.  I just want to hear some of the pros and cons before giving more of a thought.  thanks

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know when I used to use a 10 finger grip I had a hard time getting my wrists to turn over and would slice the ball alot. I guess the only thing is to go to the range and give it a try and see how it works.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

I've always used the 10 finger grip - maybe it stems from my days of playing baseball when I was younger. The overlapping grip feels unstable to me perhaps because I'm so used to having all 10 fingers on the club...Like slab said, the only way to know is to try it out

Oh wow, i misspoke, i have always been an interlocker...dont know why i typed overlapper.  I dont think i could swing the club like that, it would take a lot of getting used to at least.

But the club just feels so stable in my hands 10 finger styled.

Whatever you're grip is it has to be comfortable to you.  The only criticism I've heard of the 10 finger grip is it is more difficult to keep the hands working together.  But my grandson used this grip (started when he was small and just never changed).   He doesn't play enough to have a handicap but is a pretty good golfer and usually plays in the low 90s to high 80s.

Butch

To me its to disconnecting between the two hands. I like knowing one hand is secured with the other.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 6 months later...

Wanted to resurrect an old thread because I have a question about the 10 finger grip.

Does the type of grip you use (i.e. how you hold the club / not the brand of grip) depend on the size of hand you have?

Some background on why I have the question:

I'm right handed and currently use what I think is an interlocking grip (i.e my left index finger goes inbetween my right pinky and ring finger).

I went to a fitter today for some questions I had about a driver and the first thing he asked was, Wait what kind of grip are you using?  I said interlocking.

He then had me put my hand up against his hand and said that my hand is not big enough (6 1/4" from wrist to top of middle finger) for an interlocking grip and that it makes my grip very weak (I can see alot of my right palm when at address).  So he sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Ever since I began golf I've always used this grip.  He told me to use the 10 finger grip with my left thumb straight down the shaft and my top thumb pointed slightly to the left (this creates a "V" where the thumb and index finger meet which he said should point down the middle of the shaft.

This is a much more closed grip than what I was used to and even though I learned to play baseball before golf, the 10 finger feels so foreign to me

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I'm not sure about hand size.  I've been messing around with this grip recently.  To me it feels like I have control.  I haven't comitted to a change but this grip is a maybe.  Why don't you just get smaller grips.  I don't see how having small hands would make your grip weaker.  I have a naturally strong grip and if I wanted a weaker grip I'd just rotate my hands to the right (I'm LH) before gripping the club.  The odd thing is too me this grip really doesn't feel odd.  Typically when I change my grip I feel like I can hardly hit the ball.  But with the 10 finger, It feels pretty natural.  I don't see a benifit or a negitive.

Brian

If your hands are small or not  very strong the 10-finger is great but its not as secure of a grip as the interlock or overlap.  I used to interlock but after taking some lessons Ive switched to the overlap with great success.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Played a 10-fingure grip for four years -- my Natural Golf days. I was straight but much shorter than I am now. Hands can not work unified very easily and proper hinge is less likely.

I switched to an overlap in 2005 so that my hand can work as a unit. Added a LOT of yardage when I changed grips (other things changed too, but grip change is step one toward adding distance).  When I was 10-finger, a normal good drive was 200 carry. Now a good drive carries 250. There is a 258 carry over a bunker on my home course and I carry it about well over 50% of the time. Could never have sniffed that bunker with a 10-finger grip.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I implemented a 10 finger grip, it feels more natural for me.

I can hit any type of shot that I could with interlocking and have the same if not better distance. I think its all a matter or preference so long as you are still doing certain things like making the "v" with your thumb and index finger.

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

I think I am going back to the 10 finger.  I used to use that years ago and played to a 9 hc.  Ain't kiddin either.  Actually it was kind of a modified 10 finger cause I would squish my pinky up tight, it wasn't over the finger but like half way up it.  Anyways I am thinning the ball like no tomorrow so I am going to give this a shot and see how it works.  When I used this grip my right hand seemed to be more spread out on the grip, sounds wierd but had more grip down the shaft in my right hand.  THis allowed me a better feel I think, but you have to use over sized grips for it work.  I have big meaty hands though with stubby fingers so I am going to give it a shot.  thanks

I've always used the 10 finger grip.  My hands are small and on some days arthritis doesn't let me make a fist, so the 10 finger with oversize grips have made golf as comfortable as it can be.  Only you can decide what works for you but in the past I was a single-digit handicap so it worked for me.

I did today after seeing that when gripping the driver (std size grip) with interlocking grip my grip was very weak.  When I gripped a ladies club my right hand naturally goes more over the top.  So I had the driver re-gripped with a KZG undersized grip.

Also tried out the 10 finger today at the range.  I thought the undersized grip change and trying the 10 finger grip (concentrating on the right hand being stronger) would cure my fade.  No dice.  So something else must be causing me to fade/slice.  My guess is I must be coming outside in across the ball.  I am going to video tape my swing and see what I am really doing.

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

Why don't you just get smaller grips.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I have always been an interlocker (edited from: overlapper, oops).  I have started to mess around with a 10 finger grip and it feels a lot better...havent tried hitting balls with it yet or anything,  It also feels like i would have an easier time with the later release i have been working on.  I just want to hear some of the pros and cons before giving more of a thought.  thanks

After years of playing with a interlocking grip I tried to change also and it did not feel right to me, but to each his own!

Note: This thread is 4625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!