IGNORED

Please Tell Me This Guy is in a SMALL Minority (Rickie Fowler GolfWorld Cover)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

110214_cover_290.jpg Mr. Russell: The February 14 issue had the most disgusting cover I have ever seen on your magazine in all the years I have been a subscriber. I immediately ripped off the cover and threw it in the trash can. Are we that desperate to find a replacement for Tiger that we have to promote a kid who can't find his way to a barbershop or wear decent clothes to play this great game of ours. He can't even put his hat on straight to pose for a magazine cover. If this is what your magazine wants to promote maybe it's time for me to consider the other weekly publication.

John L. Grant, Crest Hill, IL

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/golf-editors/2011/02/that-golf-world-cover.html

Please, someone, tell me this is total crap and there are maybe three people out there who think similarly to this guy?

"Disgusting"? Seriously? It's not like the guy's out there disrespecting the game, his fellow competitors, the fans, sponsors, etc. He dresses differently than you.

I hope to $_DEITY I never feel like John L. Grant of Crest Hill, IL. (Though I reserve the right for wearing your pants halfway down your legs... for reasons of practicality! :-D)

P.S. And, come to think of it, I don't even care about wearing pants around your knees. I just choose not to do that myself. What someone else wants to do is their business.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a bit irritated by Ricky's image (not so much the hair, but those unbent straight rims on his hats - man I hate that), but wouldn't take it to the extreme as that guy you posted.     He has a unique look & that separates him from the crowd.      In the end, the guys got game, so he can back it up ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I like Ricky and think he is a breath of fresh air.  I remember some other pros that were/are not very conventional in their dress, like Doug Sanders and Ian Poulter.

• Upvote 1

Butch

The only thing I do like about his appearance is the rappers hat. I'm too old to adjust to that. Overall he seems like a nice kid.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I get the impression from watching RF close up as well as on the idiot box that he's just doing what he enjoys doing, just expressing himself out there on the course and usually having a pretty good time.  He's a young guy for Pete's sake, what's wrong with showing a different style?  To me it isn't extreme or offensive and it is good for the game imo.  Yes it can be taken too far but I suspect he is well aware of that.  He seems to be rather well-spoken and modest in conversation, which says more about him than anything else.  I hope time doesn't prove me wrong, you never know in sports.

I hate to be so rude and crude but that gentleman appears to have a bug up his ***.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

He's a colorful character, something the tour really needs. This John L. Grant character is just making a fool of himself.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Wow that guy really needs to get over himself. Granted, some of Ricky's color choices leave me scratching my head, but "Disgusting"?, Cmon. I bet the guy who wrote that letter is a real Dbag on the course.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

That guy needs to lighten up. So someone is a little bit different than me, what is the big deal? I would hate to live in that gray world where everyone has to look the same. It is not like he is trying to wear cutoff jeans and a tank top to an event.

A funny thing though happened a couple of weeks ago when I was watching golf. I was half paying attention when my wife commented, "there is a girl playing golf with the men?". I told her that it has happened before, but to my knowledge it is not happening this week. She insisted that she saw a girl playing and then showed me when "she" showed up again. Sure enough it was our boy Fowler dressed all in pink. Not a color that I can pull off, but good for him.

What a ridiculous comment!  The guy that posted that probably wears jean shorts and t-shirts when he plays!  Ricky looks modern and edgy - something there should be more of in golf fashion/style.  He also looks like he puts a good deal of thought into his appearance which I think is mostly a good thing.  My wife often says that Ricky looks like a big traffic cone but you have to give it to him, he looks like he is having a lot of fun.

This John L Grant character is just what the game DOESNT need.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Disgusting? Not sure that is a word I would use to describe Fowler. I am not a fan of the loud color's he wears but who cares. He has got talent and really the only thing you hear about him is his color schemes on the course. Not a big issue at all.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

John L. Grant is a pretentious, discriminant  fool.  Sorry to bring up the "D" word but that's what it is and it makes me sick thinking there are people out there like that.

I enjoy watching players, new and old bringing their own style to the game.  It's healthy for the sport in that it brings new players, it adds viewers and hopefully turns guys like John L. Grant away so none of us have to see or hear him.

Just my opinion...

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised he didn't comment on Fowler never having won an event (has he even been in a playoff?) yet getting way more ink than most multiple winners.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It took me a little bit to get used to his gangsta rapper hat but the guy pulls it off well. Ricky is an exciting player and is on the top of my list.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Its all about advertising. His and his sponsers marketing is paying off - your talking about him and giving them free publicity. If he dressed like everyone else on tour, he'd be a good young player, but thats it. Now, he's a good young player who dress style pisses off the older generation, and gives the younger generation a sense of relatability. Lets face it, its not like Puma was flying off the shelves before rickie came along. Now I see puma hats all over the public courses here.

nike sq dymo str8 fit 9.5º  stiff
cobra baffler 3 wood stiff / cobra baffler 18º hybrid stiff
cobra sz irons stiff (soon to be bridgestone j33)
Cleveland 52, 56, 60 cg14
odyssey 2 dot putter / taylormade penta tp, prov1, callaway hx tour (have a few boxes of each from the past couple seasons)

I watched Ricky go out of his way to sign an autograph for a little guy in Phoenix and man did the little kid light up.  Other than the hole in one on 16 and tommy 2 gloves it was a very cool thing to witness.  What kind of clothes were you wearing when you were 20, would you wear it today?  You know what I can't stand sweater vests...So  For the love of golf!  Joel

While I don,t care for his fashion choices, There have been many golfers with questionable, even bizzare fashion sense. Such vitriol is over the top for something  over which reasoable people cna disagree.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!