IGNORED

TaylorMade Penta vs Titleist Pro V1

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently playing Pro V1s and they really fly, I bought a dozen Pentas to try out. They are great balls also and really move when hit well. but since I buy the Pro V1s in bulk used it was a bit of a sticker shock to lose a new Penta on a course. So I have relegated the Pentas to practice pitching and putting. Maybe when I'm a better player I'll try them on a course again, meanwhile I'll look for bulk deals on used Pentas to use alongside the ProV1s..  I think they are great balls if you are swinging 90mph plus. I wouldn't recommend them for slower swing speeds.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

• 1 month later...

I have personally played both the Pro V1 and Penta. The Pro V1 is a great ball it feels good all around and it has lots of spin of wedges. The Penta does exactly what they said it does i get just as much distance as i do with the pro v it feels good on all my shots but the part where they both are different at is the spin. The penta has enough spin for the ball to drop and stop as for the pro v1 it has way more spin where the ball backs up a few feet, In the end it all depends on your game so try both of them out and see which one responds best to your game the most.

I've played both and always went back to the Penta, for feel. ProVs were either too hard or too soft, depending on which of the two. Perhaps if I were a 1.1 rather than an 11, I might have a different answer, but distance and spin seemed to not be different between the two brands.

My Stuff:
Taylormade Supertri - 10.5    Taylormade Burner - 15.0
Taylormade Rescues - 19 and 22    Nickent Rescue - 26
Alpha RX-1 -  6 - pw     Ping - 50  Taylormade - 54    Callaway - 58 
Cameron Studio Design 5     Taylormade Pentas  

I like both but the penta doesnt have the greenside spin like the prov 1.The ball I like the best of all is the callaway i S it is long off the tee fells soft and does exactly what I like around the green wich is lots of spin.

Adams 9065LD 8.5* with a Nunchuk shaft
Adams CB1 gw-4i with Project X 6.0 shafts , Mizuno MT-11 58* wedge
Callaway Steelhead 3
Tour Exotics Hybrid 16* and 18*
Ping long putter

First of all, make sure you ignore people who talk about distance off the tee whe talking aabout balls. It just proves that they know very little. With  premium balls, they're all good.

The reason for using a ProV 1 is for spin on the greens.

A lot of people are preferring the Penta because it spins less on the greens, which is what you should be looking for, rather than more.

If you're ;ooking for more spin than what you are getting with a Pro V1, look at your technique, not your equipment.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Erik touched on the differences between the Penta and V1(x) in his review of the Penta. In his opinion, the ball plays very similarly to the V1x. A little more spin than the V1x, but not as much as V1. I don't have the ball contact to be as detailed in my description, but the Penta and V1x plays very much the same for me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Erik touched on the differences between the Penta and V1(x) in his review of the Penta. In his opinion, the ball plays very similarly to the V1x. A little more spin than the V1x, but not as much as V1. I don't have the ball contact to be as detailed in my description, but the Penta and V1x plays very much the same for me.

I agree that they play almost identical with the exception of the v1x seems to travel higher than the penta.Hey shorty thanks for slamming me about my opinion on the golf balls , totally not called for.So my assesment ( and I am a .05 hcp ) of the prov1 and my callaway iS are very similar , they both have the best greenside spin that most low handicappers want ,if you dont want any greenside spin you must check your technique because you certainly need that control for different shots around the green.The only difference in the two are the callaway penetrates more with a boring trajectory than the v1 .Greenside spin is crucial when chipping and different shots around the green that is why they make urethane cover balls and there priced the highest ,because these are scoring balls IMO.I would like to see someone make a black cat check up like a Urethane cover ball LOL.

Adams 9065LD 8.5* with a Nunchuk shaft
Adams CB1 gw-4i with Project X 6.0 shafts , Mizuno MT-11 58* wedge
Callaway Steelhead 3
Tour Exotics Hybrid 16* and 18*
Ping long putter

I play Penta TP and V1x . Tried the V1 numerous times since I find a lot of them on the course and for some reason I don't like the V1.

The Penta is definitely a winner to me when I'm not swinging completely 100% on a day. It's very soft, feels good, control, etc.  I love it.

THe V1x it feels like I have to compress the ball everytime to get the most out of it. So 8/10 I play the Penta TP.

They are awesome balls and I have them both in my bag at all times.

From my experience with Pro V1's and TP Red and the Penta, they are all great balls. It comes down to preference and what suits your game the best. For me it all comes down to feel on the greens. Its pretty easy to get comfortable with playing the spin of a ball but the feel off the putter to me is where I make my choices. I have tried a bunch of balls (Z-star, TP's, V1, V1x and B330s) all of which are great but I just keep finding myself going back to old faithful, the Pro V1. So IMO make your choice on the green and what feels the best to you.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Originally Posted by Canuck

From my experience with Pro V1's and TP Red and the Penta, they are all great balls. It comes down to preference and what suits your game the best. For me it all comes down to feel on the greens. Its pretty easy to get comfortable with playing the spin of a ball but the feel off the putter to me is where I make my choices. I have tried a bunch of balls (Z-star, TP's, V1, V1x and B330s) all of which are great but I just keep finding myself going back to old faithful, the Pro V1. So IMO make your choice on the green and what feels the best to you.

It's funny that you mentioned the TP Red because I think the TP Black LDP is one of the most underrated balls on the market.  And now that he PENTA is out, you can get the TP Black LDP for great prices at most Golf stores.

I've found that the Black is longer that the V1X and spins inbetween the V1 and V1X.  Personally, I opt to find a ball that spins less than the V1 as controlling that amount of spin (even at my handicap level) is a difficult thing to do.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Both seem to play very similarly for me. For the price I may as well stick with the ProV1x. It's a personal thing, but taylormade's marketing annoys me. It you like the penta go for it - it's not like playing a crappy bridgestone or top-flite ball.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

it's not like playing a crappy bridgestone or top-flite ball.

The mid range and high end Bridgestone balls are FAR, very far from being crappy.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

The mid range and high end Bridgestone balls are FAR, very far from being crappy.

That is your opinion, which you are entitled to. I strongly disagree.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Both seem to play very similarly for me. For the price I may as well stick with the ProV1x. It's a personal thing, but taylormade's marketing annoys me. It you like the penta go for it - it's not like playing a crappy bridgestone or top-flite ball.

Can we expect a GREAT judgement of a 22.5 index on premium balls, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Bridgestone e5 or 330 TOUR series, they are actually that good, that Titleist was forced to update the Pro V1(x) ......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Im going to go out on a limb and say they're almost identical and its "almost" impossible to tell the difference. Almost…

The one thing I personally noticed was that to me, the Penta really does feel like it has more pop off the club face. I just bought a dozen last week and I had a choice in the store; last years ProV1 or the Penta. I have now played them for a few rounds (only lost two so far) Used one today actually, and really liked it.

I think the guys that say they don't spin as much don't actually know. Line up 10 of each and hit the same shot into the green and see what happens. You still wont spin as many ProV1's as you think, just like you wont spin as many Penta's as you think. Not everyone that can spin a ball can spin it on every shot consistently to say one way or another. I think spin is relative to your game and because of that when someone plays a ball and doesn't play it well they think its the ball, when the truth is you wouldn't have made that shot with a ProV1 either.

The Penta is just as good as the ProV1 and cheaper too!!!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Sure, we can agree to disagree.  But I base my opinion factual evidence vs. personal feelings.  If you don't like Bridgestone's premimum balls, then sure play something else.  But to say that they are crappy dosesn't make sense to me.

Deryck Griffith

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!