IGNORED

Do Woods Built with an Offset "Closed Face" Really Help Fight a Slice?

Note: This thread is 4809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With the new ball flight laws it says if a golfer is coming OTT with a square club face and an out to in swing path it will cause a straight slice. If he is using an offset driver with a closed face than he would end up pull slicing the ball. What are your thoughts on this?

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would think that if the face is closed (to the target line) it would be closer to square with the club path.  If this is the case it would end up being a straighter ball flight, maybe even a straight pull.

nike.gifDymo Driver and Pro Combo Irons 
touredge.gif 3 & 5 Woods
odyssey.gif White Ice #9
srixon.gif Z-Star X Tour Yellow

Offset does almost nothing to change the clubface orientation at impact. If the face is open to the target line with no offset, then with offset it will be a fraction of a degree (maybe a full degree) less open at impact. It [b]might[/b] be enough to turn a slight, lazy fade into a straight shot, but it won't affect a full-blown slice noticeably. If the clubface is closed, then it depends on how out-to-in the swing path was. If the swing path was more out-to-in than the clubface is closed, then instead of hitting a straight slice they'll hit a slight pull-slice. Not a desirable shot, but more likely to find the fairway. If the out-to-in swing path was about the same as the closed face, then the result will be a fairly straight pull. (Final case omitted: If the out-to-in swing path was less than the closed face, they probably were only gently fading, not full-out slicing. At least, that's my guess.)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Drivers with an offset closed face are for people who don't have the patience to learn how to hit a proper drive. Or if they do, they're going about it backwards anyway. That kind of driver is so counterintuitive it's almost like a practical joke or novelty item.

Being able to hit a straight shot, with some pop, is not a new concept. Learning to use the flight of the ball as your guide isn't new either. Why do some people choose to make this game so hard on themselves?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

^making it harder by trying to find a way to make it easier lol. its marketed towards mid to high cappers like me, most of who are looking for the miracle swing fix. when i was coming ott and slicing i tried putting an r9 on draw, didn't help me one bit. so i spent countless nights on the range (free buckets lol) trying to hit draws with the fade setting hosel. now i hit slight draws, and play a slight open face with my irons at address.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

My driver has a draw bias, and it certainly doesn't get rid of my tendency for a moderately strong fade.  However, I don't buy that it's as harmful a "feature" as people believe.  It just doesn't really do what it claims.

It actually probably does slightly reduce the tendency to slice/fade, but since that is usually mostly caused by the out-to-in swing, it's just going to turn it into a pull.  If your problem is that you have an in-to-out swing and you don't quite close up the club face, then maybe it'd help, but that's a pretty rare minority.  Still, mine is only (IIRC) a degree biased, and, based on experimental evidence, that is smaller than the errors in my swing.

All else equal, I'd have gone for an unbiased club, but this one was a gift and I'm not worried enough (or seeing enough problems) to run screaming for a replacement.  My driver ball flight is as repeatable and accurate as any of my unbiased clubs.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Don't know .... I never tried, but I have a natural baby fade and after having tried many drivers and hitting many buckets (also free at our course for the clubmembers) my better drives are dead straight, now that I come slightly more from the inside and focus staying behind the ball more than I used to.

My swingpath is inside-square-inside at best ...... I have been trying with an adjustable driver last few months ...... Neutral brings me the above and only if I really focus on inside-square-outside I might find a slight draw now and then....... nice to see and then the topspin/drawspin adds more roll than my natural swing.

I have tried the open setting, which is recommended for better players ....... oughhhhh not for me...... fade became almost slice, last saturday I tried closed 1.5* and well I actually hit some very nice draws, without changing anything to my natural swing ........ But personally I think it is best to work on my swing and at some point reach these results with a "better" swing ........ although I feel against fighting my natural swing ...... so putting the head closed, might be a sound idea.

I find the 1.5* closed a bit too much, something between 0.5* and 1.0* would be enough for me, so I am thinking of the new 910 D2........

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

It depends on what kind of a slice you have. With a neutral-faced driver, if your path is square to your target and the face is open (a push slice) then yes, a closed face could help. However, if with a neutral-faced driver your path is out-to-in relative to the target and your face is square to the target (straight slice) or your path is out-to-in relative to the target and your face is closed to the target (though open to the path, pull slice) you will end up hitting pulls or pull-hooks with a closed face. Hope that makes sense.

Offset is another beast altogether. It has no affect on face angle or path, it just changes the COG. That could help some people hit it higher, but it won't do anything for your slice.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

If initial shot direction is 85% determined by the face angle, then a draw-biased driver is always going to start the ball to the left of a square-face driver, all else being equal. Additionally, assuming a slicer's out-to-in swing path, it's also going to apply incrementally less fade spin -- as the further left you orient the club face, the closer you come to hitting a straight pull with face and path aligned.

That's my theory, anyway.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Gerald

........ although I feel against fighting my natural swing ...... so putting the head closed, might be a sound idea.

I don't like trying to change my swing at all.
I have a natural draw, my mishits are a  terrible duck!

I usually only miss when I am trying to get cute with it, so I just don't fight my natural swing.

The only way I can hit a fade is to open my stance to the target and swing along my normal path, I never try to change my swing.

nike.gifDymo Driver and Pro Combo Irons 
touredge.gif 3 & 5 Woods
odyssey.gif White Ice #9
srixon.gif Z-Star X Tour Yellow

Originally Posted by Stretch

If initial shot direction is 85% determined by the face angle, then a draw-biased driver is always going to start the ball to the left of a square-face driver, all else being equal. Additionally, assuming a slicer's out-to-in swing path, it's also going to apply incrementally less fade spin -- as the further left you orient the club face, the closer you come to hitting a straight pull with face and path aligned.

That's my theory, anyway.

Which implies the only kind of "draw" that would be produced by a draw-biased club would be a pull-draw.

I guess it's the same with fade-biased clubs... if they are set up with an open-face, then surely the most likely outcome is either a push-fade or push-draw.

All the offset does is help generate lift for people that cant get the ball airborne.

Adams 9065LD 8.5* with a Nunchuk shaft
Adams CB1 gw-4i with Project X 6.0 shafts , Mizuno MT-11 58* wedge
Callaway Steelhead 3
Tour Exotics Hybrid 16* and 18*
Ping long putter

Quote:

Drivers with an offset closed face are for people who don't have the patience to learn how to hit a proper drive. Or if they do, they're going about it backwards anyway. That kind of driver is so counterintuitive it's almost like a practical joke or novelty item. ...

My previous driver came labeled as having a "square face." But, I found that once I got warmed up for the season, my mishits tended to hook into the first or second cut of rough.

Took it to a local golf shop, and got on the launch monitor. Turned out I had my straightest hits when I was 1 to 2 degrees open. On measurement, the clubface was 2 degrees closed. My current driver is definitely square faced. A solid drive tends to be straight, or have a slight draw.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!