IGNORED

Foley Discusses Ball Flight Laws on PGA Tour.com

Note: This thread is 4780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Considering how "hot of a topic" the ball flight laws have become, I found this clip of Sean Foley on PGATour.com interesting and was curious to what everyone thought on how Sean explained the ball flight laws and how to fix the slice.

Intially, the first thing that comes to my mind is that it's too bad he didn't have this type of "more in depth" explanation in his new DVD.

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/shows/inside_the_pga_tour/2011/02/22/feat_exclusive_foley_slice_11inside08.pgatour/index.html

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I think he did a very good job there and agree with you that something like the above would have been the minimum requirement for his DVD.

• Upvote 1

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

That was actually a very good video... he sounded knowledgeable and made sense.  I wasn't expecting that, given some of his more philosophical ramblings in other videos.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

He made sense there... should edit the dvd and include that on it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

He made sense there... should edit the dvd and include that on it.

I'm sure he will, based on the feedback in this small focus group. Then a lot of suckers will buy it again. Like my wife bought the special edition Lord of the Rings trilogy when it came out (we already had the regular one) because it was the "extended version". Even longer? WTH?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He lost me with "when you hit a golf ball from in to out, you transfer more energy into the proper part of the golf ball."

So the kinetic energy transfer from the face of the club is changed with a change in the swing path?  Or is he assuming that this will also change the clubface angle, maybe swingspeed, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

He lost me with "when you hit a golf ball from in to out, you transfer more energy into the proper part of the golf ball."

So the kinetic energy transfer from the face of the club is changed with a change in the swing path?  Or is he assuming that this will also change the clubface angle, maybe swingspeed, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

yea the transfer of energy into the ball is greater when you hit the ball from the inside as opposed to cutting across the ball with an out to in swing. make sense?

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

Any thoughts? Thanks.

The way I understand this---In order to swing in to out consistently, your right elbow (for a righty) must have good connection to your torso long into the downswing and maintain lag holding onto the right wrist hinge (for a righty).  When you watch an ice skater spinning around, if they want to spin faster, they tuck their arms close to their body; when they want to slow down the spin, they bring their arms out away from their body.  A slicer loses connection of the right arm to the torso and hits across the ball closing the clubface with an early release of the right wrist hinge.  Because the in to out swing keeps the right arm more connected to the torso long into the down swing, there is more effective use of centrifugal force.  The in to out swinger will achieve maximal force at and just past impact.  The out to in swing will achieve maximal force before impact.

As far as Mr. F saying "proper part of the ball"---maybe he means center of the club face with a descending strike.  The out to in swinger will tend to have a swing bottom behind the ball due to early release of the wrist hinge

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by RedFox999

yea the transfer of energy into the ball is greater when you hit the ball from the inside as opposed to cutting across the ball with an out to in swing. make sense?

I'm not convinced that's actually true. How does a golf ball know the difference between an inside-out swing for a right handed golfer or an outside-in swing for a lefty. No, seriously, can someone please explain that?!?  Or did you mean it's possible to swing harder with an inside-out swing? For every person or just typically?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I think he did a very good job there and agree with you that something like the above would have been the minimum requirement for his DVD.

Absolutely!  For me, this was a breathe of fresh air vs. the DVD which while ok, was a bit of a disappointment.

In some of the other videos, I still wish he would be more direct with what he is trying to say vs. using "big" words to make it sound "scientific" for lack of a better word.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm not convinced that's actually true. How does a golf ball know the difference between an inside-out swing for a right handed golfer or an outside-in swing for a lefty. No, seriously, can someone please explain that?!?  Or did you mean it's possible to swing harder with an inside-out swing? For every person or just typically?

It's just geometrically easier to transfer more energy into the ball from inside out. Think about it, can you produce more speed by swinging inside out with your body staying connected with your arms, or by having to throw your arms away from your body and swinging.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Centrifugal force. You'll never see a field goal kicker run up to the ball from outside to in.

• Upvote 1

Finally somebody droppin real knowledge

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

37 minutes of more hobbit hugging?

I'm sure he will, based on the feedback in this small focus group. Then a lot of suckers will buy it again. Like my wife bought the special edition Lord of the Rings trilogy when it came out (we already had the regular one) because it was the "extended version". Even longer? WTH?

Probably just the camera angle but did anyone elso notice that his demo shot at the end looked to start off to the left?

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Haha! Yes, I noticed that too but will give him the benefit of the doubt as camera angles are extremely deceiving. However, having said that he has no excuse for not having the camera set up correctly.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Probably just the camera angle but did anyone elso notice that his demo shot at the end looked to start off to the left?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

All things being equal it doesn't change a thing. However, for most people all things are not equal.

Note: This thread is 4780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!