Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hakalanlate

About to make a putter from scratch !!

14 posts in this topic

Okay !

I´m about to make a putter, starting from scratch...

First my thought was to make it from plane aluminum and zinc but then there was a little problems with the CT-machines so i ended to maybe more nicer way. Its going to be wooden, and the sweetspot ofcourse is some metal (or should it be hardwood?).

Here is some designs i found from internet, but the design is going to be my own ofcourse

http://www.mustyputters.net/

http://www.andersonwoodworking.com/newpage2.htm

So I was wonderin if anyone has any experience about homemade putter or other homemade colf clubs ?

And other thing what I was thinkin is that how "wide" and "deep" people like their putter to be ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

no experience making my own putter, but really looking forward to seeing what you come up with! good luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by dbuck

check out louisvillegolf  for some ideas as well


Okay, thanks :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yould could get some thick 1095, 5160, or W2 steel.  Have it annealed or anneal it yourself and use hand files and shape it.  Once it is shaped hand sand it to around 400 grit and send it off for heat treatment/Termper.  OOOOH I have some ideas now...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you mean that the steel would be for sweetspot or the whole putter from steel ??

I´m about to make my sweetspot from Cycolac or some hard wood like Jarrah

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm doing the same thing.  i have some teak that i'll epoxy together and just leave the face teak.  softer feel. i'm looking for some brass to use either on the sole or inside the head for weight.  i'm also thinking of making the sole like the callaway tuttle, sorta keel like rather than flat.

i was at Louisville Golf last November and picked up some freeby reject putter and wood heads.  they're in a basket by the door, help yourself!

since this is YOUR putter make it as wide or narrow and deep or shallow as YOU want. to heck with everyone else!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by tweaky

i'm doing the same thing.  i have some teak that i'll epoxy together and just leave the face teak.  softer feel. i'm looking for some brass to use either on the sole or inside the head for weight.  i'm also thinking of making the sole like the callaway tuttle, sorta keel like rather than flat.

i was at Louisville Golf last November and picked up some freeby reject putter and wood heads.  they're in a basket by the door, help yourself!

since this is YOUR putter make it as wide or narrow and deep or shallow as YOU want. to heck with everyone else!


Cool that someone else is doing this too

Yesterday when i got my design allmos accomplished (to a point where the shape can be still changed and other stuff), I undestanded that i was a little too exited generating an idea of the putter ben made of expencive wood like cocombolo and others.  So maybe i should start thinking something more cheap options

Good idea actually that wooden face/insert...  It ofcourse would make the feeling softer...    Have to think about it But don´t worry i don´t steal your ideas

And bytheway that "tuttle" shape looks kinda cool, and thinkin it like a wooden putter... NICE      But my shape is going to be a little more roundy but still nice looking :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've been practicing on some other old wood clubs and blocks of cheap wood to "hone" my skills before i try the final product. i think the tricky part will be building it so that the balance (face balance vs heel/toe balance) and shaft angle in the hosel are right.  i know we can bend them to the proper loft and lie angle so that concern is not a big deal.  i now that once i'm finished i'll want to make another different design!

good luck with yours!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by tweaky

i've been practicing on some other old wood clubs and blocks of cheap wood to "hone" my skills before i try the final product. i think the tricky part will be building it so that the balance (face balance vs heel/toe balance) and shaft angle in the hosel are right.  i know we can bend them to the proper loft and lie angle so that concern is not a big deal.  i now that once i'm finished i'll want to make another different design!

good luck with yours!!


Yea I´m going to do couple prototypes, from some cheap wood so the final product would be as good as it could bee :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

am definitely looking forward to the results..goodluck and post some pictures of your progress!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Hakalanlate

Did you mean that the steel would be for sweetspot or the whole putter from steel ??

I´m about to make my sweetspot from Cycolac or some hard wood like Jarrah



Oh sorry I meant the whole putter head from steel.  I am seriously thinking about trying it, but the cost of 1084 or 1095 steel these days.... and heat treating a piece that thick.. uggh..  Might be a fun project this summer to work on.  Good luck on your putter, cant wait to see the results.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys a read this post a month ago Since i am already putting with a wooden putter , y not make my own Took a lot of pictures will post the final product in à week or so ;-) But so far so Good
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0