IGNORED

Designing a new golf cart for school - user research?

KevRC4130
Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

As a Transportation Design (basically: car design) major, I am currently involved in a school project where we must research golf carts and their users, and then design/create a new and improved cart concept based on our findings.

We've done a bit of field research talking to people on the course, but as expected, people playing golf generally don't want to be interrupted by a few college kids with notebooks and cameras. Plus, there are obvious rules against trespassing, etc.

So, Plan B is to conduct that research digitally, and here I am.

Our basic questions:

Do you own or rent your golf cart? If you rent, are you generally satisfied with the models offered by the course?

Do you prefer electric carts or gas carts, and why?

What is your take on custom cars (ie Hummers or Rolls-Royces)? Goofy and disrespectful, or cool and fun? Would you drive one? (with this answer, knowing your age would be especially helpful)

Are there any areas needing improvement or general design flaws you've noticed with current carts?

If you had a hand in designing a new cart... What would you most like to see?

These are just basic questions to get a discussion going. Really, any opinions (good or bad), information, data, ideas, etc would be hugely helpful. No idea is too crazy, and any contribution to the discussion helps!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Use the courses carts. They get me around so what's not to like. Looking to buy one when the right deal comes around.

No personal preference, but I think being quiet Electric is more suited to a golf course for players use. Can only imagine the racket of a crowded holiday weekend with the course covered in gas carts.

Custom cars or custom golf carts made to look like cars like at http://badassgolfcarts.com/ ? Either way I'm more of a Hummer, Truck, SUV type of guy. I'd dig a custom cart as well, It'd be cool for the pro shop to toss me the keys to say the "Nissan Titan", instead of telling me to take number 1 and going out and seeing several that might be number 1 because decals need to be replaced. Age is 35. Oh I should note while fun I wouldn't pay extra for the priveledge if a course offered a choice between the two.

Not much on the design front to change I guess since there isn't much to them. I think from a safety aspect maybe a slower take off would keep my wife from getting angry at me when I hit the accelerator before she's seated. Also think the take off thing would help keep people from spinning out when the grass is wet. I'd personally benefit from something like a safety button/pedal you have to press with the left foot since I tend to dangle my long leg out of the cart. I know I'm gonna have an accident one day but having a hard time breaking the habit. I wouldn't mind a tighter turning radius (we have a "cul de sac" part on one hole and I never can make it withought swinging wide enough to rub the tires), though they already seem easy to tip over so not sure that's a good idea.

Upgrade the bag hold downs to accomodate more bag styles more easily. Maybe something that straps to the mouth of the bag instead of wraps around so stand bags don't take as much fiddling and controting to get secure, and that should allow easier access to all pockets. Maybe something rigid that secures the bags with the key to a cart to address bags walking off, or end the old driving off and dumping your bag problems. Could be incorporated like a trunk that extends over the middle storage basket area thus addressing the issue of things blowing out of that. Our course carts have racks for sand bottles, and another for an ice chest. Would think both of those would be standard enough to include in a basic design. That ends the problem of 6 divots now I'm out of sand til I get to the next bottle station, or the wind blowing up the ice chest lid and the last persons trash flying out and onto the course.

Most of the rest of the changes would be things they already make to add or bolt on you can buy aftermarket. Club/ball cleaning stuff. Wouldn't mind an intercom like thing back to the clubhouse but I have my cellphone so no big deal these days. They send us messages via the electronic scorecard/gps unit that also tracks where we are so they can keep on top of pace of play from the clubhouse.

I do not own a golf cart, if I use one it is a cart from the course.  I have noticed that some are much better than others.  I like some of the features on the Yamaha carts, the top piece traps water and run it down through the back support and keeps water off, the seats have a little contour which makes them much more comfortable than just a bench.

I like the electric carts, quieter, less odor.

Don't mind the custom carts, kind of entertaining as long as they aren't over the top, meaning they go 40+ MPH, have a $3000 sound system, or some god awful horn.  Those things would be very distracting on a golf course.

Age 52

IMHO, they should design carts to be used in inclement weather, better roof that would channel water, roof that could extent to protect clubs things along that line.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

If I use one I rent it at the course.  I've no intention of ever buying one, as I play more than just a 'home' course.  The customs are fine, to each his own.

Improvements - ditto the rain channeling of the roof design.  That's an area where most mfrs can improve upon.

Two other things I'd suggest - many carts are using a leaf spring design and the travel/progressive rate of them makes many carts annoyingly harsh over bumpy roughs and terrain.  It can actually be painful for someone with a sore back - particularly if you're the passenger - when these undulations are hit with any appreciable speed.  Perhaps coils springs, fluid dampeners, air bladders, etc. would improve on that?

The other thing I'd try to improve upon is the design of the bag holding area at the bottom.  Every mfr tries to 'cradle' the bags by using a molded fiberglass body panel and it makes it difficult to access the side panels at the bottom of a typical golf bag.  I'd like to see that area a little more open and user-friendly.

Some of the things I think most mfrs get right?  Inclement weather in the bag-holding and windshield areas with the optional bag awnings/canopies and partitioned windscreens.  I also think most do a good job of providing a reasonable amount of stowage compartments and golf accessory holding (like balls, tees, pencils, scorecard).  One thing that I DO find trouble handling is my cell phone.  I hate hearing it rattle around in the dashboard stowage section, and don't like putting it in the cupholder right next to an open beer can or soft drink cup that might slosh its contents right onto it.  Since it's also my on-course GPS unit, it's something I 'go to' regularly.  A dedicated universal holder for that would be nice.

The onboard GPS units of some of the higher-end courses are a double-edged sword IMHO.  Yeah, it's nice to be able to see your shot planning on the screen and be able to order a cheeseburger just before you make the turn, but some course managers can get pricky about the pace of play (sometimes beyond your control), and whether or not you went three feet off the cart path on their precious par 3.  'Big Brother' at it's finest.

Hope you get some good feedback, and good luck on the project.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

From KevRC4130...

Our basic questions:

Rent. Models OK, as long as they're well maintained. Varies from course to course.

Electric. Quieter, no exhaust; plus, I hope it will lead to more uses for electric-powered vehicles.

What is your take on custom cars:

I'm 60 years old.  If the brand name jacks up the acquisition/lease price to the course, WITHOUT delivering any performance/maintenance cost savings, I'm against it.  If I wanted frills, I'd join an upscale country club. For me, I want a decent golf course with a $40 greens gee, not some fancy fluff where the bagboy puts your bag on the cart of you, the cart has a little fan in the roof, and $70 greens fees. One exception: If the course is hilly or mountainous, The Hummer or Rolls carts might have stronger suspension systems which would increase the life cycle of the carts.

Are there any... general design flaws:

The year is 2011, and we still can't make a durable tie-down strap to keep my bag on the cart? The el cheapo plastic latches wear out after six months, and then they keep coming loose. Always a problem at low-rent courses, sometimes at mid-level too.  In one scramble, my bag hit the fairway three times due to strap failure. I keep a bungee cord in my side pouch to use at courses with loser tie-down straps on carts.

If you had a hand in designing a new cart...

* Something other than flat-bench seats. These are hard on the back.

* Make ball/club cleaning pods standard.  Water in teeside ball washers tends to turn brown or dry up on hot days.

Edit: add "design a cart" remarks

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Keep the design basic and concentrate on creature comforts. Maybe a different color and a logo you make for yourself to represent your project when presenting it but no flashy bling. Just look at what what makes a golf cart good and make it better/tweak some things. I like the idea of channelling water off the roof. Maybe some padding to help people like me when hitting their head on the roof while getting in and out. Ive had golf carts with GPS, an ice chest, and a ball/club cleaner on it. it was SWEET! Go to a golf course where alot of people ride and catch people AFTER their round of golf. Some people might get ticked with someone asking em questions while theyre trying to warm up. Ask em what they like, dont like, and would like to have added on their carts. Im sure youll get alot of different answers. Good luck brother! Post pics when finished.

P.S. I would love to have a cool, damp towel on hand for those hot days so i can cool off for a sec in between holes.

I usually rent, but recently purchased a push cart and plan to walk more this year for the exercise.  When I did and when I do rent I'd prefer electric, they are quieter, no exhaust fumes and run better on cooler mornings compared to gas engines.  I'm 45, other improvements;

• I'd agree on previous posters for better water channeling during rain.
  • Also agree with others that the bag holding system should be improved.  Bungee cords or clips would be better than the belt system they currently use.  Maybe the combination of belt and velcro would work better and put less stress on the clip.  Some protection from sun and rain for clubs would be nice too.
  • Cell phone and gps holders for both driver and passenger
  • Some sort of remote control or tracking system that allows the cart to remain as close to the golfers as the course permits.  Would save time having to walk back to the cart, etc.
  • Built in coolers to keep beverages cold duing summer
  • Builtin GPS with electronic score keeping capability.
  • Split storage area for storing drivers and passenger head covers so they don't get mixed up.
  • Electronic or automatic parking brake

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Some sort of remote control or tracking system that allows the cart to remain as close to the golfers as the course permits.  Would save time having to walk back to the cart, etc.

LMAO! a remote controlled cart! That would seriously slow my play down. I would be playing with the remote controlled cart more than golfing. How funny would that be to see a golf cart driving around the course with no one in it. Takes ghost riding to a whole new level! I could see the jackass guys pulling off something like this. It would be good for an electronics project, but not practical on the course. Great idea tho. I want one.

Originally Posted by Johnnyooze

LMAO! a remote controlled cart! That would seriously slow my play down. I would be playing with the remote controlled cart more than golfing. How funny would that be to see a golf cart driving around the course with no one in it. Takes ghost riding to a whole new level! I could see the jackass guys pulling off something like this. It would be good for an electronics project, but not practical on the course. Great idea tho. I want one.

I figured someone would find it funny, but the technology exists to actually ensure the carts don't hit anything or go places they aren't supposed to.  They could at some point actually be safer than female golf cart drivers (joke).

Joe Paradiso

I rent but usually walk, i'm 25 and think that a golf cart could be upgraded/changed ina few ways:

- electric is the way to go
- water diverting roof is another must have

- perhaps put a slot on either front pillar for things like GPS devices, Phones, Etc so they're not in the buckets on each side that could potentially get water in them
- think: segway. my idea is this...(stay with me here) a golf cart in which you don't have to get in and get out of sitting all the time, but rather one you stood on. one that has a roof, but in this case has a higher back so you can stand and possibly a smaller one person seat, and has side bins for garbage, sand/grass seed mix, cooler, etc. and on the back utilizes a system that puts a metal/polycarbonate circular stand for your bag to stand on...while a opening/closing rounded bracket holds the top part of your bag in...(allowing the player to 'spin' the bag to get to all pockets, etc)...while keeping cubbieholes (since you're standing you don't need the buckets by your knees that you see in today's carts) on the passenger/driver sides under the windshield for items so they don't get wet (to include cupholders, cigar holders, balls, etc.)

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by WUTiger

* Make ball/club cleaning pods standard.  Water in teeside ball washers tends to turn brown or dry up on hot days.

Genius, Lloyd.  Sheer genius.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

mentioning the pillars made me think of something else. Being out in the humidity on hot summer days some of us have 3 or so gloves velcro'd around said pillars to dry them off. Maybe some tubelike device that would turn them into "windsocks" that would dry them fester.

My two cents... First padding on the roof edge is a must, mentioned already. My Girlfriend bangs her head at least once every round that we ride, (but at least she's focused on her upcoming shot). Second a secure and convienent place to put eyeglasses, as mentioned like GPS, where they won't get wet from beverages, or weather. I wear reading glasses and can't read a score card with out them. The prefab beveage holders just don't make me feel safe enough. I've experimented with a few different idea's but haven't hit on a solution yet.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

The windshield are frequently made of acrylic that quickly becomes damaged by wind, etc. and are hard to see through clearly.  Something that fixes this would be nice.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

Originally Posted by turtleback

The windshield are frequently made of acrylic that quickly becomes damaged by wind, etc. and are hard to see through clearly.  Something that fixes this would be nice.

Something that rain doesn't stick to would be nice as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have been noticing how gratefully the OP is receiving the efforts of people who have taken the time to respond to his questions......

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

A sensor that discourages people sticking their foot out the sides. Not to be to nanny state, but might save a foot or two. Cheaper solar powered carts. Better battery life. An iPhone app that drives your cart. Some kind of Kinect device that recognizes if you leave your club behind. Checks bag and surroundings. Hover golf carts - a superintendent's dream. Insurance nightmare. Aren't auto brakes standard on new carts now?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I have owned in the past but currently rent.

If I am renting I like electric carts. If I am owning I prefer gas. I have owned both. I prefer the electric as far as use and think it is a better concept(cleaner quieter), but when I owned I played a lot, sometimes trailering to other courses, and the gas was more convenient. I am sure technology has changed, but when I had electric you were forking over 200-300 every 2-3 years for batteries.

As to custom carts, if it turns you on, fine, as long as you don't play the stereo loud enough for me to hear on the next hole.

Others have made many good comments about improvements, and I will echo the ones about better storage for cell phones and reading glasses. Ha, I can't believe those things are now important to me! I hate cell phones and usually turn mine off and put it in my bag, but occasionally I may need to be available to a family member.

I would also echo the need for better bag attachment equipment.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 4763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!