IGNORED

Stock shafts vs. After-market shafts

Slappy9
Note: This thread is 4331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK after reading alot of posts on hear everyone seems to love to talk about different shaft options. OK i might be kinda new to the sport but how does a new shaft help so much with distance and spraying, and is a stock stiff flex shaft really that different from a aftermarket stiff shaft. Im a longer hitter at 285yd average with my stock R7 Limited stiff shaft diver but not the most accurate at about 4 out of 10 fairways.. I just figured I need lessons but will new shafts on my irons and especially my driver really help that much.

OGIO Grom Stand Bag:
Driver - Taylormade R7 Limited 9.5*
3Wood - Cleveland Hibore 15*
Hybrid - Cleveland Hibore 19*
Irons - Taylormade R7s 4-GWWedges - Cleveland CG12s Black pearl 54*/12* & 58*/8*Putter - Rife ArubaBack-ups - Karsten Anser / Odyssey White Ice #9Ball - Taylormade Burner TP & LDP...

Depends on your ball flight mostly. I have the R7 limited and I balloon my drives, they have good distance but are petering out with what appears like too much back spin.

Read this for starters... http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/a...566804,00.html

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
So I have a stock matrix 5.5 shaft in my driver, the stock nike diamana shaft in my 3 wood and the stock made for titleist diamana blueboard in my hybrid. I dont have a problem with any of these shafts and seem to hit them fine but I always hear people say the stock shaft in the SQII is crap etc. Why do people make such a big deal over the stock shafts being crap? is it only the guys who want more stiff shafts and a lower launch?

I think some people just say it to make it sounds like they have much more experience than they actually do.
To me, few players can "feel" the difference between a "made for" shaft and an aftermarket one. They might see the difference in the ballflight but the stock shafts work just fine for 90% of players.
As you mentioned, better players usually look for clubs that fit their swing and it is difficult for them to find that in some of the stock versions, hence looking for the aftermarket version.

I think the stock shaft issue is one of it being tuned so the normal average player can use it. I for one find that a stock stiff shaft no matter what mfg is not as stiff as a premium brand stiff. That's a generalization and I know there are stock shafts that won't fit the description but those I tried did. I found the UST V2 stiff shaft to be one that I can swing and get really good results with. So as your swing gets faster I guess you can get out of the normal user range and overpower a stock shaft.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

yea I was just looking for some comments on this because I was trying to find things to ask for christmas.

You're wondering if you should put the X in Xmas by replacing all your shafts?

I think you should stick with the stock ones for a year or two - until your swing changes are ingrained. Besides, I have it on good authority that your stocking will be filled with coal this year.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You're wondering if you should put the X in Xmas by replacing all your shafts?

yea, no X stiff shafts for me,lol. Just didnt know if I would see good results from switching to an after market Matrix X Conn in stiff over the stock matrix 5.5 shaft, like if its really worth it. Really Im just looking for things to tell them that I dont really need.

dont fix what's not broken
usually they jack up the torque numbers a bit to fit the general population
most playes cant tell the difference and could use a lesson before a new shaft

if it fits and it works, stick with it
ask for GC's or balls
i always hate buying balls.......nice to have them "free" when you need them
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I changed shafts because i went from slight fades to dead straight / draw goin from shaft to shaft same driver head

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Stock shafts tend to for a broader audience (which makes sense, why put a very specific shaft in a club mass produced?)

I hated my R9 shaft...couldn't get it right. So I went with an AXE Excalibur+6 shaft which is IMO one of the best cheat shafts on the market today. It performs like a high end shaft.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Ask for a gym membership. Shafts and equipment are tertiary to fitness, flexibility and solid mechanics.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Ask for a gym membership.

thats a good idea but I only go with my friends when I go and they dont have a membership right now. we use to always get the school discount membership. Without the school discount the membership rate is ridiculously high

An aftermarket shaft is only an improvement if it suits your swing profile. The stock made for Titleist Speeder in my 983E is perfect for my swing (high kick, stiff tip). The made for Titleist Blueboard I had in a 907D2 was horrible for my swing, I popped in a $15 Prolite 35 (high kick, stiff tip) and it worked wonders. I think the stock Fujikura Fit-On Red in my Dad's Hibore Tour driver is outstanding-with shafts individual results will vary.

An aftermarket shaft is only an improvement if it suits your swing profile. The stock made for Titleist Speeder in my 983E is perfect for my swing (high kick, stiff tip). The made for Titleist Blueboard I had in a 907D2 was horrible for my swing, I popped in a $15 Prolite 35 (high kick, stiff tip) and it worked wonders. I think the stock Fujikura Fit-On Red in my Dad's Hibore Tour driver is outstanding-with shafts individual results will vary.

yea, theres really no need for me to change shafts on them. Im not really having any problems with their flights or anything.

If your hitting them fine then I'd be loath to tinker with it but....

Recently I was not so lucky and a club fitting session did wonders... I can't comment on the whole "premium" verses stock arguement but I do know the shaft they put in my driver has helped a lot....

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

Note: This thread is 4331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!