IGNORED

Weightlifting's Effect on the Golf Swing

JD616
Note: This thread is 4720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well i doubt static stretching did anything for that, i bet more than likely it was the constant working out and swinging a baseball bat that stretched the muscles. I did classic style weight lifting for a few years, and stretched afterwards, and stretched at home. I am way more flexible now after going through circuit training, and constantly moving, doing dynamic range of motions.

If you want to stretch, just keep swinging, static stretching is really overrated. Learn some dynamic stretching.. Like, get a resistance band, tie it around the golf cart, and do some light rotations, that stretches the body a ton, and gets you loosened up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

Well i doubt static stretching did anything for that, i bet more than likely it was the constant working out and swinging a baseball bat that stretched the muscles. I did classic style weight lifting for a few years, and stretched afterwards, and stretched at home. I am way more flexible now after going through circuit training, and constantly moving, doing dynamic range of motions.

If you want to stretch, just keep swinging, static stretching is really overrated. Learn some dynamic stretching.. Like, get a resistance band, tie it around the golf cart, and do some light rotations, that stretches the body a ton, and gets you loosened up.

My back would be stiff as a board without static stretching.  If I go without stretching it out (static), then I can't touch my toes.   You are right about dynamic stretches, but static has it's place as well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I guess i should have explained more, when it comes to stretching, don't static stretch before a round. Afterwards is fine, and if your doing yoga is fine as well, but yoga also has some fluid movements as well, so its not totally static.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I guess i should have explained more, when it comes to stretching, don't static stretch before a round. Afterwards is fine, and if your doing yoga is fine as well, but yoga also has some fluid movements as well, so its not totally static.

I agree.  I wasn't trying to argue with you or anything either.  Sorry if it came across that way

Bryan A

I lift weights on a 5X5 program with two workouts. A= squats/deadlifts/overhead press B= squats/bench/row. I'd say that big movements like this help your golf swing. You can't squat heavy with proper technique and have a weak core. It's impossible. Deadlifting with proper technique will help also. These are the two most important lifts and getting these right should be the prime goal in the gym. Squatting correctly requires decent flexibility in the hips and shoulders. I do a flexibility program to help that. I would advocate weight training with big movements to be the most efficient way to improve posture and strength quickly. Throw in pull ups also.

As for back strengthening the lowerback,

Dead Lifts

Hyperextension

I know that the lower back (and abs as well) is used for stabilization while doing deadlifts, but I've always been told to keep the lower back out of it as much as possible, as it's really supposed to target your glutes and hamstrings. The back should stay straight, chin up, and try to prevent the back from curving.

Doing a good morning (or sunrise, cant remember the exact name right now) is a similar movement with lighter weight that targets the lower back, but like I said, I've always been told to make a conscious effort not to use the lower back during a deadlift, as it could lead to injury.

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

Some great exercises to incorporate the core musculature are.  Planks, bridges, and if you are athletic and coordinated enough perform the bench press on a Swiss ball.  The EMG data for the core when doing exercises on an unstable surface are incredible.

I've been thinking about working these in. How much lighter than your normal dumbell bench do you go when using the swiss ball?

And to the OP, there's a lot of good info here. Personally, when I was playing baseball, I favored doing a lot of dumbell exercises to maintain flexibility, as well as stretching and everything else. Did lots of dumbell bench, dumbell incline bench, seated dumbell military press, etc. Also work your legs hard . I also highly recommend working in some plyometrics for quickness and balance.

Whoever it was that was asking about a yoga routine, the P90X deal has an entire DVD dedicated to it I think. You may or may not be able to easily get it pretty easily from bittorrent

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

I've been thinking about working these in. How much lighter than your normal dumbell bench do you go when using the swiss ball?

And to the OP, there's a lot of good info here. Personally, when I was playing baseball, I favored doing a lot of dumbell exercises to maintain flexibility, as well as stretching and everything else. Did lots of dumbell bench, dumbell incline bench, seated dumbell military press, etc. Also work your legs hard. I also highly recommend working in some plyometrics for quickness and balance.

Whoever it was that was asking about a yoga routine, the P90X deal has an entire DVD dedicated to it I think. You may or may not be able to easily get it pretty easily from bittorrent

Go maybe 25% less than what you usually do.  You may be able to do the same weight, just depends on your core strength and balance.  Just see what works for you, just remember to tighten your stomach like your about to get hit to pre activate your core making the exercise easier to do and more effective.

Go maybe 25% less than what you usually do.  You may be able to do the same weight, just depends on your core strength and balance.  Just see what works for you, just remember to tighten your stomach like your about to get hit to pre activate your core making the exercise easier to do and more effective.

Cool, thanks man! I actually saw a video of Tiger doing it at Nike's Grind site, but he was doing one side/arm/pec at a time. I'm guessing that takes even more balance and stabilization, right? Ever done them like that?

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I know that the lower back (and abs as well) is used for stabilization while doing deadlifts, but I've always been told to keep the lower back out of it as much as possible, as it's really supposed to target your glutes and hamstrings. The back should stay straight, chin up, and try to prevent the back from curving.

Doing a good morning (or sunrise, cant remember the exact name right now) is a similar movement with lighter weight that targets the lower back, but like I said, I've always been told to make a conscious effort not to use the lower back during a deadlift, as it could lead to injury.

And to the OP, there's a lot of good info here. Personally, when I was playing baseball, I favored doing a lot of dumbell exercises to maintain flexibility, as well as stretching and everything else. Did lots of dumbell bench, dumbell incline bench, seated dumbell military press, etc. Also work your legs hard. I also highly recommend working in some plyometrics for quickness and balance.

I have been checking this quite a bit, but I've pretty much set up my workout for the time being. However, I must ask one thing about what you said. You said you did a lot of dumbell exercises to maintain flexibility? I've always been taught that complex moves are much better for athletics, but either way you have to stretch.

Originally Posted by JD616

I have been checking this quite a bit, but I've pretty much set up my workout for the time being. However, I must ask one thing about what you said. You said you did a lot of dumbell exercises to maintain flexibility? I've always been taught that complex moves are much better for athletics, but either way you have to stretch.

Yup, was told that by a couple of different trainers in high school and college. If I rmember correctly, it boils down to you being able to go through a little wider range of motion, thus stretching the muscles longer vs. times when your body would limit that. Think about when you do dumbell bench vs. when you do standard bench press with a bar. With the dumbells, you're able to take the weight lower than with the bar because your body (chest to be exact) limits how far the bar can go. As an added "bonus" to using dumbells, they can increase strength quicker for some* people because using the dumbells takes away the ability to bounce the weight off your chest, as a lot of people tend to do later in a set.

I'm in no way saying only use dumbells, never use bar, just saying that most dumbell exercises allow the muscle to stretch farther and have a higher potential to increase range of motion. In regard to complex moves being better for athletics, while I agree with that as well, remember that some sports just have different needs and are going to see benefits from different types of lifting, depending on the needs of the sport. Or even the position in that sport for that matter. I can guarantee Troy Polamalu's routine in the weight room is way different than Brett Keisels. They both might do a lot of squats, but TP is doing a lot to also maintain/increase quickness (stuff I've seen but have no idea what to call it or how to describe it ) while Keisel for the most part is going for pure strength. In a lot of cases however, such as dumbell bench like I mentioned before, the movement is pretty much the same, the dumbell versions just allow a longer, deeper stretch. Also, I agree 110% with what you said, either way, you do have to stretch.

Does all that make sense???

*Those some people I'm referring to are those that don't have perfect form on every single rep of every single set.

-  -  - 

That makes plenty of sense and it is true that all athletics require different things, but at the same time they all require a few of the same things: strength (explosive strength), endurance, stability, and flexibility.

Yup, was told that by a couple of different trainers in high school and college. If I rmember correctly, it boils down to you being able to go through a little wider range of motion, thus stretching the muscles longer vs. times when your body would limit that. Think about when you do dumbell bench vs. when you do standard bench press with a bar. With the dumbells, you're able to take the weight lower than with the bar because your body (chest to be exact) limits how far the bar can go. As an added "bonus" to using dumbells, they can increase strength quicker for some* people because using the dumbells takes away the ability to bounce the weight off your chest, as a lot of people tend to do later in a set.

I'm in no way saying only use dumbells, never use bar, just saying that most dumbell exercises allow the muscle to stretch farther and have a higher potential to increase range of motion. In regard to complex moves being better for athletics, while I agree with that as well, remember that some sports just have different needs and are going to see benefits from different types of lifting, depending on the needs of the sport. Or even the position in that sport for that matter. I can guarantee Troy Polamalu's routine in the weight room is way different than Brett Keisels. They both might do a lot of squats, but TP is doing a lot to also maintain/increase quickness (stuff I've seen but have no idea what to call it or how to describe it  ) while Keisel for the most part is going for pure strength. In a lot of cases however, such as dumbell bench like I mentioned before, the movement is pretty much the same, the dumbell versions just allow a longer, deeper stretch. Also, I agree 110% with what you said, either way, you do have to stretch.

Does all that make sense???

*Those some people I'm referring to are those that don't have perfect form on every single rep of every single set.

Most people that use good form don't bounce the weight off their chest.  If you are bouncing it off your chest, you have bigger issues.  I see people in my gym load the bar down with weight and they almost crush their chest bouncing it to get it up...then they walk around like they are a huge power lifter.  I'm thinking, "dude PL comps require a pause at the bottom....you would be screwed." I like dumb bell work personally because it will target your weaker muscles as well.  It builds your stabilizers, etc....While it does allow you to have a much bigger range of motion, sometimes that range of motion isn't all it's cracked up to be.  It could work different muscles that what you are targeting and it could get you into trouble by putting too much strain on your body.  So that "could" go either way. I see guys doing dumbbell flies and it looks like they are going to rip their shoulders out of socket because they are getting too deep.

IMO, a "GOOD" routine incorporates both dumbbells and the barbell.  You need the barbell to do the essential strength exercises and then the dumbbells come in when you are doing accessory work to improve the major lifts.

Bryan A

No way.  For any strong workout junkie, this would do two things:  flatten out most balls, and provide more stability because of the higher weight and higher MOI.  You want the exact opposite when doing dumbells on a swiss ball.  Not to mention that it gets the ball that much closer to popping.  I can do 15 reps at 100lbs per arm on a slight incline bench, so I go down to <50 or less than 50% and alternate arms to force the core to stabilize, getting reps up to around 25.  You want a very firm ball and you want to keep your glutes off the ball as well.  As for tightening the stomach, just work to keep your spine and hips in neutral the whole time.  That's the whole purpose of the core anyway, regardless of which muscles it takes.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by TN94z

Most people that use good form don't bounce the weight off their chest.  If you are bouncing it off your chest, you have bigger issues.  I see people in my gym load the bar down with weight and they almost crush their chest bouncing it to get it up...then they walk around like they are a huge power lifter.  I'm thinking, "dude PL comps require a pause at the bottom....you would be screwed."

Yeah, exactly what I was getting at. And it drives me insane to see those guys that you're talking about. My best guess is compensation for a small twig n' berries.

-  -  - 

Cool, thanks man! I actually saw a video of Tiger doing it at Nike's Grind site, but he was doing one side/arm/pec at a time. I'm guessing that takes even more balance and stabilization, right? Ever done them like that?

Yes I have and I like doing them that way better.

Bunkerputt, yes I know you want to keep the spine and hips in a neutral position but there are a lot of guys who do not know what this means or do not know how to do it.  It was just a simple verbal cue to help anyone trying to do it.  And if you have a good enough swiss ball it should hold 150 pounds.  I think the one a have has a weight limit of 400.

I do the major barbell lifts that most people do and then I do different variations with both dumbbells and barbells. I end up doing about 4-5 sets of squat, 3-5 sets of bench, 3-4 sets of hex bar deadlifts, 3-4 sets of various types of rows, and anything else I can get it within an hour and a half. I also do a lot of body weight exercises like dips, push ups, one-leg squats, and this weird row like exercise.

I also do strength bands once a week, which are specifically for explosive strength and speed.

Another thought is that I can do kettlebell twice a week as well, but I've neglected to do it so far as the room we do it in is pretty small for the number of people that go, should I do kettlebell as well?

Originally Posted by JD616

I do the major barbell lifts that most people do and then I do different variations with both dumbbells and barbells. I end up doing about 4-5 sets of squat, 3-5 sets of bench, 3-4 sets of hex bar deadlifts, 3-4 sets of various types of rows, and anything else I can get it within an hour and a half. I also do a lot of body weight exercises like dips, push ups, one-leg squats, and this weird row like exercise.

I also do strength bands once a week, which are specifically for explosive strength and speed.

Another thought is that I can do kettlebell twice a week as well, but I've neglected to do it so far as the room we do it in is pretty small for the number of people that go, should I do kettlebell as well?

I think Kettlebells are great.  Just make sure that when you are trying to get in all this stuff, that you don't over train.  A lot of people I see at my gym don't realize that they would get much better results with half of their volume.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 4720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!