IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Golf

Note: This thread is 4768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going down to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks and staying with a relative that lives on a course down there (Long Bay). I have heard very good things about this course, but wanted to know some other courses of interest down there. I am on a budget, so do keep in mind that I am looking for good value. Anyone have any suggestions?

Driver: Taylormade R9 (10.5)  3wood: Nike SQ DYMO (15)   Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo (19)  
Irons: Nike SQ Sumo (4-A)   Wedges: Taylormade RAC (56, 60)   Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Black Bear - cheapest good course I found for $38 during the week.      The Witch is a premier course & offers afternoon rates for $39.     Prior to a recent trip, I spent hours researching it & MB is simply not a cheap place to play golf ... no matter how many courses they may have.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

Black Bear - cheapest good course I found for $38 during the week.      The Witch is a premier course & offers afternoon rates for $39.     Prior to a recent trip, I spent hours researching it & MB is simply not a cheap place to play golf ... no matter how many courses they may have.

That is what I am finding out, your going to have to pay to play down there for sure. Funny story about Black Bear: Me and my family went down there a few years ago and one morning me, my brother, my uncle and my dad were eating breakfast at a local restaurant. An older guy came up to us and asked us how things were, where we were from, etc.. Well we said something about wanting to golf, and he gave us a card and told us to call this number and gave us the address to the course, and said the round was on him. Turns out, he was the owner of the course! Pretty cool, but i was pretty young and didnt really appreciate how nice the course was.

Driver: Taylormade R9 (10.5)  3wood: Nike SQ DYMO (15)   Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo (19)  
Irons: Nike SQ Sumo (4-A)   Wedges: Taylormade RAC (56, 60)   Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

March and April are peak golf months in MB so the green fees will be high. Long Bay is a decent course. Here's a link to pix.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/569347460sORiXS - Long Bay Pix

The best bang for the buck in MB are the Legends courses. They have 5 high quality courses; Moorland, Heathland, Parkland, Heritage and Oyster Bay. Breakfast, lunch and 2 beers are included with the round. In genereal, if you play in the afternoon you can get lower green fees.

There are good deals in Myrtle Beach you just have to look. If you just check a individual course rate there very high. The best way is a package deal.

A few years ago I got a package deal thru the group that handles Glen Dornoch, Heather Glen and Possum Trot..All very nice courses. I think the group is called The Glens Group. I had a summer rate of 99 bucks for 3 rounds in the AM. I'm sure its more expensive in the spring, but I would bet they still have a deal.

There's other groups down there also, I know The Witch is in with a few other courses also.

Do a little internet work and I'm sure you can save a bundle!!!!!

Good luck,

Joe

PS>My group goes every year and I'm allready looking forward to October to get down there!!!

G10 Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 5 wood
G10 21,24,28 & 32 Hybrids
2010 710 AP2 7-PW w/DG300SVokey 58 & 52 2009 Spin Milled 2 Ball Blade 34" ProV1 2009 Pioneer Bag

Yea I love the area I have a blast everytime I go down there. Hopefully I can get on long bay, I think the people we are staying with are members there. I golfed Indian Wells last time I went, Pretty nice course and not to expensive but I caught the afternoon rate in the middle of august so everything was pretty reasonable. Thanks for everyones input.

The Legends courses are fun and I'm sure you can find a good deal. I've only played the Moorland, but I've heard nothing but good things abut the other two (although Moorland's probably the best). Also, River Club is a fun little track in good shape. Still, nothing beats Caledonia in or around Myrtle. Absolute masterpiece. Worth every penny.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

Ha, I am afraid of that. My willpower is terrible when it comes to golf, so if I see something that tempts me even a little bit, i usually give in and do it. come to mention it, I wouldn't mind giving in to caledonia or true blue....

• 4 weeks later...

Heading down the last weekend of April.  Playing Friday - Monday.  Went with the Big Cats deal.  Play all 4 courses for about $250.  (going to seek over to Thistle thursday afternoon) Is the big cats a good choice, considering the price or was that a bad decision??  Is it free replays at Big Cats (carts NOT included)??  Any info on this is much appreciated.  Also, please feel free to pass on any restaurant/bar/nightlife suggestions.

Originally Posted by leten7ao

Heading down the last weekend of April.  Playing Friday - Monday.  Went with the Big Cats deal.  Play all 4 courses for about $250.  (going to seek over to Thistle thursday afternoon) Is the big cats a good choice, considering the price or was that a bad decision??  Is it free replays at Big Cats (carts NOT included)??  Any info on this is much appreciated.  Also, please feel free to pass on any restaurant/bar/nightlife suggestions.

My group is heading down at the same time (4/29 thru 5/6) and we are playing the Big Cats too.  We're playing Lion's Paw and Tiger's Eye on Sunday and then finishing the week on Friday at Leopard's Chase.  I don't make the plans so I can't give you any insight as to replay costs and overall costs as our organizer collects all money up front and pre-pays all our green's fees for the week.  I CAN tell you that, having played the Cats courses previously, they are great courses and $250 for all 4 sounds like a good deal. You'll love it!

Restaurants/bars/nightlife - wow - lots of options.  The liveliest place in Myrtle is "Broadway at the Beach", lots of bars, lots of people!

ping.gif Hoofer C1 Stand Bag
taylormade.gif R11 10.5 Driver 

taylormade.gif RBZ #3 Fairway Wood
cleveland.gif Launcher DST #5 Fairway Wood
wishon.gif 785HF #3, #4, #5 Hybrids - Graphite shaft
wishon.gif 770cfe #6-SW - Graphite shaftodyssey.gif White Ice Putter  

Played Black Bear and Legends about 11 years ago.  It was my first time golfing so I couldn't appreciate the course but did get very familiar with the woods and OOB areas.  I loved the area and nightlife....looking forward to going back after I improve a bit.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by leten7ao

Heading down the last weekend of April.  Playing Friday - Monday.  Went with the Big Cats deal.  Play all 4 courses for about $250.  (going to seek over to Thistle thursday afternoon) Is the big cats a good choice, considering the price or was that a bad decision??

The four Big Cats at Ocean Ridge is a good deal. Tigers Eye and Leopards Chase are the two higher end courses there. Play them last. If you play them first you'll be diappointed in Loins Paw and Panthers Run. But if you play PR and LC first, you'll like them and then top it off by the other two.

Her are links to my photos:

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2304884930100544033aTlVkV - Leopards Chase

http://sports.webshots.com/album/562767212CyJfgZ?start=36 - Tigers Eye

http://sports.webshots.com/album/569810167XSKWDw?start=48 - Panthers Run

Note: This thread is 4768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!